Poor ATC moment

TheGolfPilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Golfpilot
Had an interesting experience today to share.
I was arriving to Concord, KCCR, from the Northwest, around the vallejo area, in a Bonanza. Called tower and was instructed to enter a left base for 1L. I thought a 45 entry to the downwind was more appropriate but seemed harmless enough to go straight to the base. This was mistake 1.

As I was entering the airspace on a base entry, descending through about 1500', a falcon calls up almost to the Final approach fix )around the CCR vor area. He was instructed to circle to land one left. She then instructs me to make a right turn and make an extended downwind, even said it was to make room for the falcon. At this point I am maybe 10 seconds away from turning final somewhere between 700-800 feet. I repeated the instruction. This is where I really should have said something.
As I am going turning to right I realize that isn't going to work real well, there are hills there, I either had to climb, converge with the final approach, or converge with a hill. The controller was getting anxious and asks me to make a 360. At this point I am about 2 miles outside of the airspace, that falcon is at about midfield, and I am only 4-500 feet AGL over hilly terrain. This is where I finally said something "No, I can't do a 360, there is terrain, I am turning left to avoid hitting it. I am almost 2 miles outside your airspace, figure it out".
Mind you, there is about 4 mile visibility out from smoke. I am VFR, and visability shouldn't be an excuse, but it was very much a factor, The controller probably couldn't see me, the falcon couldn't see me, and I was flying over hilly terrain at low altitude in a reduced visibility setting.
At this point another controller comes onto frequency "turn base, cleared to land 1R, caution wake turbulence". After all that. I touched town on the right runway as the falcon jet was exiting the runway.
Had she just cleared me to land on the right runway to begin with, I would have been shutdown by the time the Falcon touched down. On the car ride home I kept running the scenario in my head and determined
I should have first requested the appropriate 45 degree entry, but I didn't know a fast moving plane was on approach.
Second place to say no was when she asked to change my base into a an extended downwind. A simple "unable" would have gone a long way to making her realize that wasn't the right call.
3rd spot, things were really starting to pile on. I could have probably done the 360 she was asking but things were starting to daisy chain and I realized she didn't have control over the situation, and I was quickly losing situational awareness.
That is how my routine day turned exciting. Amazing what ATC is willing to do to accommodate a jet.
All of this happened faster than it probably takes to read it.
Feels good to write it out.

I’ve had a few incidents like that lately where it ended with a very direct “unable” or similar from me. Controllers make mistakes, too, and I’m of the mind that they can’t fly my plane. Good for you for asserting yourself.

Controllers are pros, they do it for a living - most of us in GA are amateurs; sometimes we are too deferential, too accomodating, because we are aware of this. It's OK to be more assertive - you can apologize later, sincerley, if you are wrong. We shouldn't dump all the responsibility on the controller - it ain't fair to them and it might kill us.

Had an interesting experience today to share.
I was arriving to Concord, KCCR, from the Northwest, around the vallejo area, in a Bonanza. Called tower and was instructed to enter a left base for 1L. I thought a 45 entry to the downwind was more appropriate but seemed harmless enough to go straight to the base. This was mistake 1.

As I was entering the airspace on a base entry, descending through about 1500', a falcon calls up almost to the Final approach fix )around the CCR vor area. He was instructed to circle to land one left. She then instructs me to make a right turn and make an extended downwind, even said it was to make room for the falcon. At this point I am maybe 10 seconds away from turning final somewhere between 700-800 feet. I repeated the instruction. This is where I really should have said something.
As I am going turning to right I realize that isn't going to work real well, there are hills there, I either had to climb, converge with the final approach, or converge with a hill. The controller was getting anxious and asks me to make a 360. At this point I am about 2 miles outside of the airspace, that falcon is at about midfield, and I am only 4-500 feet AGL over hilly terrain. This is where I finally said something "No, I can't do a 360, there is terrain, I am turning left to avoid hitting it. I am almost 2 miles outside your airspace, figure it out".
Mind you, there is about 4 mile visibility out from smoke. I am VFR, and visability shouldn't be an excuse, but it was very much a factor, The controller probably couldn't see me, the falcon couldn't see me, and I was flying over hilly terrain at low altitude in a reduced visibility setting.
At this point another controller comes onto frequency "turn base, cleared to land 1R, caution wake turbulence". After all that. I touched town on the right runway as the falcon jet was exiting the runway.
Had she just cleared me to land on the right runway to begin with, I would have been shutdown by the time the Falcon touched down. On the car ride home I kept running the scenario in my head and determined
I should have first requested the appropriate 45 degree entry, but I didn't know a fast moving plane was on approach.
Second place to say no was when she asked to change my base into a an extended downwind. A simple "unable" would have gone a long way to making her realize that wasn't the right call.
3rd spot, things were really starting to pile on. I could have probably done the 360 she was asking but things were starting to daisy chain and I realized she didn't have control over the situation, and I was quickly losing situational awareness.
That is how my routine day turned exciting. Amazing what ATC is willing to do to accommodate a jet.
All of this happened faster than it probably takes to read it.
Feels good to write it out.

Hair on the back of my neck stood up when I read “...She then instructs me to make a right turn and make an extended downwind...” and what followed bore my fear out. I think your evaluation of the whole incident is spot on and you ain’t gonna let something like that happen to you again. I’m very sure she’s had some conversations with her bosses and co-workers and hopefully isn’t likely to do something similar again herself.

First you said you were entering the airspace on a base entry at 1500, then you were on base leg getting ready to turn final 2 miles outside their airspace? What am I missing here?

First you said you were entering the airspace on a base entry at 1500, then you were on base leg getting ready to turn final 2 miles outside their airspace? What am I missing here?

That instruction to turn base has from a different controller, likely the supervisor. At that point I was well outside of their airspace and I think he somewhat gave that instruction without knowing where I was. The instruction to enter base didn’t make sense.

I wish KCCR was still in liveatc. Does anybody else know another source?

Controllers are pros, they do it for a living - most of us in GA are amateurs.
Many of us aspire to be professional (note if you get your dictionary out, professional doesn't mean BEING PAID) in our operations.

But I get your drift. If you think an instruction is problematic, speak up before it becomes a real problem.

Right call on that. Reminds me of the cirrus that crashed at Hobby. The pilot was instructed to go around when she was cleared to land and on final. And that started a train of events that led to a tragic outcome. She was likely less than 60 seconds from a safe landing.

If controllers can’t sequence correctly you need to be prepared to exercise pic privileges because you don’t know what else might go wrong.

Not sure I agree with you, but i wasn’t there to see the situation.
Bottom line is if you are not comfortable with it, do not accept it.

I have many situations where my FO wants to “go for it”, but I say no.

Many of us aspire to be professional (note if you get your dictionary out, professional doesn't mean BEING PAID) in our operations.

But I get your drift. If you think an instruction is problematic, speak up before it becomes a real problem.

Well put.

Back