polycarbonate/acrylic interior panel instead of cardboard or aluminum

k9medic

Line Up and Wait
N Central FL and GTC Bahamas when off work
Display Name

Display name:
ATP-H, CMEL, CSEL, CFI/CFII Airplanes and Helicopters
I was talking with a local shop about making some replacement interior panels for me. I asked if he was planning on using aluminum and he said he prefers to use poly or acrylic sheets that are covered in a thin closed cell foam and then wrapped with leather.

Has anybody ever heard of this process? My A&P/IA said no issues with the materials, but it just struck me as odd.

Has anybody ever heard of this process? My A&P/IA said no issues with the materials, but it just struck me as odd.
Most of the industry went to Kydex or similar products vs metal/fiberboard years ago. Look in any commercial ops whether fixed or rotor wing and you'll probably find a kydex product somewhere installed. About time it moves more in Part 91.

Kydex characteristics

• Flexural modulus is 2,758 MPa (400,000 psi)
  • Parts formed from sheet will be rigid and will see moderate deformation when loaded. This is of particular importance in deep formed parts with thin wall sections.
  • Relatively hard thermoplastic, with a hardness of 90 on the Rockwell R scale. This hardness, combined with a grained surface, increases its abrasion resistance.
  • Low flammability, UL 94 classification V-0

My last Cub had Kydex for the interior. No upholstery. Next time you're on a commercial airliner look at the side panels and seat backs. Kydex. Easy to form with a little heat. There's a great thread on Supercub.org with great info from a good friend, who's first encounter with Kydex was in my airplane.

What about burn cert for Kydex? How is that handled?

Thanks, I appreciate this discussion.

Ask for it, or pay for it?
I've never paid for one. But I've only bought aviation grade Kydex. They used to have the Part 25 specs online for those who do not need an actual certificate.

Back