• Other (please explain)

Votes: 9 26.5%

• Total voters

asicer

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
asicer
If one were to cut some lumber into chocks, how would you do it?

1. Rip cut a 4x4 into symmetrical pentahedrons on the table saw.
2. Rip cut a 2x4 into symmetrical trapezoid-based tetragonal prisms.
3. Grab some 2x2 from the cull lumber pile and call it a day.

Ignoring the 1/8" kerf, here's pics of the first 2 options. The third should be self-explanatory.
upload_2022-7-7_14-3-43.png

#1 with bandsaw. Free-hand the first, then use it to mass-produce the rest from the worktop.

Left chock - working 4x4 - right chock. Bring bases of two chocks together to position 4x4 to rip.

#1 with bandsaw. Free-hand the first, then use it to mass-produce the rest from the worktop.

Left chock - working 4x4 - right chock. Bring bases of two chocks together to position 4x4 to rip.
What if I only have a table saw? Now that I think of it, the table saw is surely capable of the 2x4 but might not be deep enough for the 4x4.

What if I only have a table saw? Now that I think of it, the table saw is surely capable of the 2x4 but might not be deep enough for the 4x4.

Table-saw only - would probably try to rip as long a 4x4 as possible then cut to chock length.

If you have to flip a 4x4 for two passes go to a different airport and borrow some chocks.

Fancy G
No fan of woodshop accidents.

I voted for option (2) because you can cut the best angle for maximum chockage™. But given the price of wood, maybe a piece of 3/4" PVC pipe and some elbows?

I voted for option (2) because you can cut the best angle for maximum chockage™. But given the price of wood, maybe a piece of 3/4" PVC pipe and some elbows?
A 2ft length of 2x4 is currently around $2.35 at Home Depot. That's ought to be enough for the main wheels.

Unless you already have the wood, I'd just order a set of aluminum ones with the N number on it which would probably be cheaper anyway. If you do, option one and take Rusty's question in account.
I might have access to a CNC and/or water jet sometime in the future. Keep an eye out for a follow up post.

I would think that even a bisected 4x4 would fit under most wheel pants, no? Educate me!
A 2x4 was all that would fit under the wheel spats on my Maule.

but normally I either dropped one main in a hole or set one brake and just let it weathercock.

Unless you already have the wood, I'd just order a set of aluminum ones with the N number on it which would probably be cheaper anyway. If you do, option one and take Rusty's question in account.

I made my own out of cheap aluminum angle from Home Depot. Cut with hack saw, drill a hole, painted yellow, and attached two pieces with double braided nylon rope through the drilled hole. Enough material for two set of chocks, one for plane, one for hangar.

Cheap, fast, and easy.

The ones I've seen at local airports around here are made like this:

chock.jpg

Normal 2x4, two 45 degree chamfers, about a half inch up. Maybe so it could be cut on table saw. Absolutely because that way you can't put it on the wrong way. A rope hole at one end, with about a rope tying two together. A radius of about 1/8" that was probably put on with a power sander. Painted bright yellow. Maybe it's a local thing? They all look homemade. Seem to work on anything. They're like miniature concrete curbs, more or less.

The ones I've seen at local airports around here are made like this:

View attachment 108444

Normal 2x4, two 45 degree chamfers, about a half inch up. Maybe so it could be cut on table saw. Absolutely because that way you can't put it on the wrong way. A rope hole at one end, with about a rope tying two together. A radius of about 1/8" that was probably put on with a power sander. Painted bright yellow. Maybe it's a local thing? They all look homemade. Seem to work on anything. They're like miniature concrete curbs, more or less.
Nice, but looks like a lot more waste compared to the tetragonal prism.

42FE3D3C-31B1-4AB0-A12A-E024D6B0E457.jpeg I made mine out of 2x4 like in option b.
Recently I tried to cut a4x4 like in option a for my buddy who wanted a little larger chock.
My 10 table saw was not enough saw to make the cut on a 4x4. Definitely need a 12” blade or larger to be able to cut it diagonal.

Last edited:
If one were to cut some lumber into chocks, how would you do it?

1. Rip cut a 4x4 into symmetrical pentahedrons on the table saw.
2. Rip cut a 2x4 into symmetrical trapezoid-based tetragonal prisms.
3. Grab some 2x2 from the cull lumber pile and call it a day.

Ignoring the 1/8" kerf, here's pics of the first 2 options. The third should be self-explanatory.
View attachment 108442

#3 is ok, if you take a bit of time with it.

20210216_134310.jpg 20210216_134121.jpg!

#1 dresses up pretty nice too though.

20220509_144518.jpg 20220509_144536.jpg

I made my own out of cheap aluminum angle from Home Depot. Cut with hack saw, drill a hole, painted yellow, and attached two pieces with double braided nylon rope through the drilled hole. Enough material for two set of chocks, one for plane, one for hangar.

Cheap, fast, and easy.
+1. Exactly what we have. They store nice a small as well since they stack. Plus low profile for wheel pants. With the narrow edge it seems like they bite into the tar and concrete a bit as well.

I made a set from some aluminum angle that was left over from my build.

Given that this is for a certified plane, I'd be rather concerned if there were leftover aluminum. :)

As long as it's not from the main wing spar area there may not be an issue ... :p

Nice, but looks like a lot more waste compared to the tetragonal prism.

It is, but 2x4's are cheap, and I don't think 1/2 of one is going to hold as well. I think it's the difference between $.75 and $1.50 a pair for the cost of wood. The cost is the labor and shop time to make them, at least here. It's also an easy set of cuts on any table saw.

Buy a bandsaw… this one cost me fifty bucks.

AND NO, ITS NOT OVERKILL, GET OFF MY BACK ABOUT IT ALREADY!! I don’t have a tool problem, I can quit anytime I want….

1E1D9056-9C95-49E5-BF47-D9CF44943DF5.jpeg

Uh… that kid is 29 now…

I just bought another one EXACTLY like this one a couple months ago.

What’s the only thing better than a FORTY TWO inch 100yr old bandsaw? TWO of them, of course!

inflation, it was $250…

hmmm… My name is Tools…

All together now… geesh

Back to wheel chocks.

Uh… that kid is 29 now…

I just bought another one EXACTLY like this one a couple months ago.

What’s the only thing better than a FORTY TWO inch 100yr old bandsaw? TWO of them, of course!

inflation, it was $250…

hmmm… My name is Tools…

All together now… geesh

Back to wheel chocks.
Where do you get the leather belts to drive that from your steam engine?!

The big box stores sell 2 x 3 wood. I bought those and did something akin to #2. I then primed them and painted a color close to the body of my plane. Those were for a Grumman Tiger with low wheel pants. For my Bonanza, I’d prefer the #1 option with 4 x 4 lumber.

Buy a bandsaw… this one cost me fifty bucks.

AND NO, ITS NOT OVERKILL, GET OFF MY BACK ABOUT IT ALREADY!! I don’t have a tool problem, I can quit anytime I want….

View attachment 108458

Nice... my bandsaw is only 12" but around the same vintage. And yes, I used it to cut chocks out of aluminum angle.

I would think that even a bisected 4x4 would fit under most wheel pants, no? Educate me!
4X4 chocks will NOT fit under my Warrior's wheel pants. I made mine from 2x4 as in the first post.

$porty's?! Egad. Chocks are much less expensive on the aviation aisle at Harbor Freight.
I looked at those but they didn't seem very well sized for small airplanes. Anyone have any PIREPS?

I looked at those but they didn't seem very well sized for small airplanes. Anyone have any PIREPS?

I'm using a similar set (think I got them from O'Reilly's aviation supply, but it might have been NAPA [National Aviation Parts Association]) in the hangar and they do fine. When travelling I have a chock from Spruce that I use under the nose wheel if the airport doesn't provide any.

Back