Votes: 3 6.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wsuffa

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bill S.
OK, Poll time. Instrument pilots: What kind of charts do you use?

Jepp? NOS? Other? I Scud Run?

I use the NACA loose leaf for my area, and the bound ones for trips. And NACA low for enroute. If Jepp starts selling individual states as they mentioned last fall I'll consider that. Don't fly enough CC to justify JeppView.

Eric

I use Jeppesen, Express for SouthEast (NC, SC GA). At first I was going to change over to Express for the East Coast as I'm starting to fly further from home a little at a time, but the Express is a pain. I rather update only the charts that have been changed then unload my chart protectors at each cycle. Now, I'm thinking JeppView for the whole USA. That way I can print & carry only what I need rather than lug 6-10 2" binders around with me.

I use NOS for enroute, approach, Use both VFR and IFR flight planing charts and carry both WAC's and Sectionals for particular IFR`route flown for back up.

John

I use the NOS loose leaf approach plates for my area and the bound ones for trips.

And the NOS charts.

Mark Bell

I use Jepp plates and Jepp Low Alt Enroute Charts. I can use the NOS plates but find that the NOS Low Alt charts play havoc with my eyes.:blueplane:

Adam Zucker

I'm struggling with this. I have the subscription to Jepp for my MX-20 ChartView (which gives me the JeppView CD). The subscription isn't cheap; so I have been printing the charts for each trip -- since I have them...and instead of buying charts for each trip.

My last two long trips (Akron, OH & Peoria IL) I stopped at the pilot shop and bought all the NOS charts and plates. There is a comfort level I have knowing that I have every approach, enroute, departure, and arrival within hundreds of miles ( on *paper* :) )...that I just don't have with the 'route' and 'contingency' features of JeppView.

I called Jepp and asked how much more to get all the paper -- and their answer was, "An entire new subscription...about $1,000 per year."

I'm really looking forward to hard drives that work above 10k in a non-Windows environment that runs off aircraft power...

Last edited by a moderator:
RobertGerace said:
I'm really looking forward to hard drives that work above 10k in a non-Windows environment that runs off aircraft power...

Ooooffff. You can say that again.

I carry a bunch of paper. But I also have a ruggedized tablet PC that's certified to either 16 or 17 thousand, hard drive and all. Power adapter into ships power. Although i usually run XM Weather on that, it also has the full NOS charts on DVD. I could fly it if I had to.

Deep backup is a regular laptop w/charts that I'd use below 10K.

I'm still not ready to completely dump paper. But I'm getting closer. The tablet is a bit more cumbersome with a passenger because it mounts into the co-pilot seat rail.

I've been looking into JeppView. The thought of carrying 6 2" binders for the East Coast doesn't really appeal to me. I'd like to carry the charts necessary (plus some along the route) on paper. I see myself gathering a collection of frequently flown charts in a small binder.

As it is now, for me to fly from KRDU to KJGG would be 2 2" binders. I don't like to keep juggling pages in and out. I've only been instrument rated about 5 months, I'm sure I'll find my "method" eventually.

Not instrument rated, yet, but when I was last working on it my CFII preferred Jepp. So, I still have a subscription to their plates for the northwest. And, yes, I do the update shuffle every two weeks.

On the other hand, I also subscribe to the NOS low level enroute charts. I like them better than the Jepp equivalent, and I do use them on cross country flights. My wife keeps the sectional in her lap with her finger where she thinks we are (and GPS can't do any better) while I follow the Victor airways using the low level enroute chart. Takes less folding and re-folding to get across the state with it.

Ghery

I suggest that folks interested in a new, ahem, approach, to instrument charts check out SmartPlates from Seattle Avionics.

This software manages all the IFR charts (except en route charts) via a flight-planner-like interface (and it integrates with the company's Voyager flight-planning tool).

The charts are government issue (from the National Aeronautical Charting Office), but you print them yourself, so they're of much higher quality than the bound versions you buy at the pilot store. And you can choose a variety of layouts and other options.

RobertGerace said:

We're probably getting there -- I've seen 1GB CompactFlash/SD/USB pen drives for around 60 bucks. You'd think that'd be enough for all the charts.

And I buy the loose-leaf NACO charts. Unfortunately, I don't get to use them lately because they tend to expire before I make it back to the airport. Sigh...

Jepp Mid-Atlantic express subscription because I use it a lot and I like the format better for personal use. Jepp trip-kit for the Bahamas. NOS low alt and VFR. NOS plates for occasional trips and for teaching students since the flight school sells them.

I looked at JeppView and have a Compaq TC1100 tablet (courtesy of work). The altitude limit, connected with the cost, and my overall lack of 100% faith in electronics keeps me away. I do like Dr. Chien's concept of pre-printing approaches...but.....

Now...WxWorx...I am very tempted to subscribe....

Greg
182RG

Back