Poll - knobs vs levers

Knobs vs Levers - which do you prefer?

• Knobs - it's what I'm used to

Votes: 13 21.3%
  • Levers - they're cool

Votes: 23 37.7%
  • No Preference - doesn't matter, just get me airborne!

Votes: 25 41.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
Joe's "Commander ... vs Mooney ..." thread got me thinking about this. Do you prefer knobs for throttle, mixture and prop, or levers? I've flown a few planes with levers instead of the knobs and really liked them. The cool factor - kinda like the big boys!

Levers look cooler, but knobs work better (not one of the poll options though!)

Before I knew very much about powered aircraft I thought the levers were cool. They still look cool, but the vernier action of the knobs is much better. This is particularly true with mixture when you're trying to run at a very specific L or R OP fuel flow.

Probably just because it's what I have most experience with now, but I like the levers in a power quadrant.

Lance, does your M20J have knobs or levers? The '79 [Edit - '77, not '79] M20J I rented had levers, but I see more pics of Mooneys with knobs than levers. Was it a model specific or year specific item for Mooney?

Last edited:
Lance F said:
Before I knew very much about powered aircraft I thought the levers were cool. They still look cool, but the vernier action of the knobs is much better. This is particularly true with mixture when you're trying to run at a very specific L or R OP fuel flow.

I agree. I do like the levers look but with knobs you can increase or decrease what ever they control at in much finer increments.

Levers all the way! I don't seem to have a problem making small adjustments in mixture or throttle with my levers.

Same here,
I started in a C-182 and got used to the knobs, but now its somewhat akward for me cause i am so used to the levers in the 140.
It does feel much cooler advancing the throttle on take-off with a lever though.

gkainz said:
Lance, does your M20KJ have knobs or levers? The '79 M20J I rented had levers, but I see more pics of Mooneys with knobs than levers. Was it a model specific or year specific item for Mooney?
You sure the one you rented was a 79? I thought only the 77s had levers. My 78 had knobs.

Ken Ibold said:
You sure the one you rented was a 79? I thought only the 77s had levers. My 78 had knobs.
Oops, my bad... 201RE is a '77, not a '79. And, that answers the "year" vs "model" question... sounds like Mooneys are more knobs than levers then?

gkainz said:
Oops, my bad... 201RE is a '77, not a '79. And, that answers the "year" vs "model" question... sounds like Mooneys are more knobs than levers then?

I do not like the Tiger's with levers, the ergonomics are all wrong and my arm has to be in an odd position to work the throttle. I much prefer the push pull knobs on Tigers.

I've only flown mid 70's and later PA28's and Cherokee Sixes and the levers in those aircraft don't bother me. I wonder if push pull knobs on these aircraft would bother me since I'm accustomed to the levers.

My M20C has knobs and actually has brand new cables installed. I have not flown with the new cables yet. I hope I like them as much as the original ones which had a very nice action but were in the "wrong" order. I recently flew an M20J (Ed was kind enough to let me fly his) with the pistol grip throttle lever. The location of the lever came naturally to hand and for me did not present the same twisted arm ergonomics I get in the newer Tigers.

Len

I LOVE the vernier controls in the Bonanza.... Just twist twist twist... Seems to make for smooth power adjustments on final, cruise, etc.

I think the levers look cooler, but in actual use I have no preference either way. Same, same, as far as I'm concerned.

gkainz said:
Joe's "Commander ... vs Mooney ..." thread got me thinking about this. Do you prefer knobs for throttle, mixture and prop, or levers? I've flown a few planes with levers instead of the knobs and really liked them. The cool factor - kinda like the big boys!

Ideally, just one big lever: ON & OFF

gkainz said:

I think you're right. They went with levers in 69 or maybe 70. Sounds like they changed back on 78.

Eric

Dave Krall CFII said:
Ideally, just one big lever: ON & OFF

Ya mean like this? (perennial Avweb favorite)

Personally, I learned on Cessnas, so I'm used to the knobs. I got used to the Commander's lever pretty quick, but I wish the prop level was a little less sensitive. It doesn't take much to move the RPM's on that baby!

-Rich

AirBaker said:
I LOVE the vernier controls in the Bonanza.... Just twist twist twist... Seems to make for smooth power adjustments on final, cruise, etc.

I second it. Vernier controls really let you get to the fine tunning in the leaning and manifold pressure management. I did own a Turbo Arrow with levers. some years ago and the engine manangement was constant; particullarly up high. In flying the ArrowI longed for those vernier controls to get the right settings.

Now with the Beech it is just twist and set. Makes for a real smooth operation.

John J

rpadula said:
Ya mean like this? (perennial Avweb favorite)

Personally, I learned on Cessnas, so I'm used to the knobs. I got used to the Commander's lever pretty quick, but I wish the prop level was a little less sensitive. It doesn't take much to move the RPM's on that baby!

-Rich

Sweet...

One of my favorite old cartoons is the bored airline pilot sitting reading the newspaper under the huge ON/OFF switch...

I really don't have a preference and have flown plenty of hours with both. Vernier knobs (they aren't all verniers) are definitely easier to tweak especially when it's bumpy and/or if the cable's a bit stiff. Lever's are easier to make quick adjustments with and you can do things like push multiple controls all the way forward (and keep them there) with one hand on a bunch of levers. For that reason you won't see many multi engine airplanes with knobs.

I suspect that knobs have an advantage in terms of cost and weight. The linkages for levers generally seem quite a bit more complex.

Len Lanetti said:
I've only flown mid 70's and later PA28's and Cherokee Sixes and the levers in those aircraft don't bother me. I wonder if push pull knobs on these aircraft would bother me since I'm accustomed to the levers.

I'm just the opposite.

I grew up in a 1966 Cherokee 180 then assorted CE 152/172's. It's dirt simple to put the throttle/mixture where you want it even with your hand on the control afterward.

At some point I flew a couple Warriors with levers and it was just plain wrong. Ergonomics as you say. One day was quite turbulent and every bump was 300+ RPM changes. No where to rest your arm to hold it the throttle steady and that silly T handle was in the way of the instrument stack. I ended up with my hand resting on the mount for the lever and moving the throttle not by the handle part but by the lever arm with my fingers. Very unnatural. If I had a hacksaw that day, I would have cut that lever down to about 3" long. You couldn't sell me one with a lever even if you knocked $10K off the pricetag. It's a deal killer in my book on that type of aircraft.

The Mooney 201 changed from levers to knobs in model year 1978 starting at S/N 24-0378. Any budding Mooniacs out there that want to check when each of the many changes was made to this model can find that info on this site: http://www.mooneyevents.com/201hist.xls . It's interesting reading.

fgcason said:
One day was quite turbulent and every bump was 300+ RPM changes. No where to rest your arm to hold it the throttle steady and that silly T handle was in the way of the instrument stack. I ended up with my hand resting on the mount for the lever and moving the throttle not by the handle part but by the lever arm with my fingers. Very unnatural. If I had a hacksaw that day, I would have cut that lever down to about 3" long.

In the Baron you can work one lever against it's neighbor from the knobby end for fine tweaking. I've also been known to extend a finger to touch the panel in front of the lever to get very fine control of the mixtures. For gross movements you just grab em and push/pull.

lancefisher said:
In the Baron you can work one lever against it's neighbor from the knobby end for fine tweaking. I've also been known to extend a finger to touch the panel in front of the lever to get very fine control of the mixtures. For gross movements you just grab em and push/pull.

No doubt there. I got to do some fairly high speed runs down a runway in a KA-90 once when they were checking nose shimmy problems. Nothing like being able to match the levers by touch to avoid asymmetrical thrust to avoid running off into the weeds. For a single it doesn't serve much purpose in that respect. It's an airplane dependent issue and comfort level with them based on my limited experience. King Air, levers definitely. Cherokee, I'll pass on them.

Back