Poll: how long before carrying passengers?

hyphen81

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
hyphen81
This has probably been asked before, but I couldn't find any threads in the annals of POA history. I'm curious, after getting your private, how long did you wait before carrying passengers for a $100 hamburger? And, how long did you wait before taking the wife out of state for vacation (or any longer flight w/ passengers)?

Obviously it will also depend on individual comfort level and how big of a risk taker you might be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did it very soon after getting my license. Why wait?

I did almost immediately, IIRC. If you're comfortable, have at it!

A few days after my Private checkride I took my friend, mom, and my pastor's wife up to Connecticut for lunch. A few days after my Instrument ride I took my sister and her boyfriend up and logged an hour and a half of actual and shot an approach a couple hundred feet above minimums at KMHT. I was comfortable with both flights

Last edited:
I flew with passengers, co-workers who had flown in light aircraft in the past about a week after getting my license. I also flew with my fiance not long after.

What I found was that learning to be a passenger friendly pilot is a skill which you probably won't have mastered when you pick up your license. Bumps, turbulence, thermals, altitude changes, etc are things you'll be used to and comfortable with while inexperienced passengers will not be.

However, like any other skill, the only way to learn how to keep passengers calm and happy is to do it and get experience. My suggestion is to fly with passengers that are either pilots themselves, have experience flying in light aircraft, or just have a strong constitution and steady nerves. Then work your way up to the more questionable passengers that don't feel comfortable without their feet on the ground.

Also try to only fly on calm days, nights, or during overcast and for short distances. Try to remember how you felt during your introductory flight lesson and remember your pax are probably feeling worse than that.

Probably same day, but, flew to flyin breakfast's and shows with instructor and wives while training. Remember how different plane felt at gross weight over just the two of us flying. First 1000 mile trip two months later.

Virtually everyone takes a passenger or two on a short trip as soon as possible after the check ride. Maybe a few days...

I have not flown solo since I got my license, which was just a couple months ago. I took my teenage kids up as soon as schedule and weather allowed. They LOVED it! And my wife got the first $100 hamburger a few weeks and a couple of weather delays later.

I took my first passenger up less than a week after the signature was in the logbook and license in the pocket.

About a week after checkride (first flight post-) took my son for a 1.4 ride.

Same day. Took my mom and sister for rides then a short cross country to pick up my girlfriend.

Not long, my wife on the otherhand waited as long as she could.... lol

Depends on your personal risk management, comfort level and what your passengers think of small airplanes.

I flew my first passengers 40 hours after getting my lisense, even though I was being told by other pilots and instructs that I'm much better than other brand new pilots. (and I completely agreed with them. :) )

Last edited:
Got my ticket at 11am and by 1p was up with a fellow student showing him what we did with the same DPE he had a check ride schedule with the next day.

I remember saying to him "I have a 4 hour block still reserved under my name and a ticket with no restrictions!...let go!"

Got my ticket at 11am and by 1p was up with a fellow student showing him what we did with the same DPE he had a check ride schedule with the next day.

I remember saying to him "I have a 4 hour block still reserved under my name and a ticket with no restrictions!...let go!"

Student pilot does not count. He more or less (hopefully more than less) knows what he is going for.

I waited an hour or so, then took my parents for a ride, and then anyone else in sight who wanted to go!

Oh, and my son took his mother, then his girlfriend, for night flights a few hours after his checkride.

The same day,for a quick lunch. What a rush for both of us.

Next day. Took my folks for a ride.

But, I still haven't flown my wife out of state on vacation.

Someone owes me a poll!

Wait, that came out wrong...

I had >100 hours before my first passenger.

I honestly find it ridiculous that some of you took passangers up the same day. Perhaps the next day when you are not tired after the 2 hour check-ride, and the passenger better be someone who understands general aviation and is frequently flies in small aircraft.

Taking up someone who knows nothing about small airplanes right after the check-ride is borderline unethical.

This has probably been asked before, but I couldn't find any threads in the annals of POA history.

3 days after - $100 hamburger with wife. Unknown to us she was pregnant, so our daughter was along too.

Less than a month later we did a 600 mile cross country.

Taking up someone who knows nothing about small airplanes right after the check-ride is borderline unethical.

I dunno man, I was probably safer right after my checkride than a couple of hundred hours later. Same just after my instrument rating.

I honestly find it ridiculous that some of you took passangers up the same day. Perhaps the next day when you are not tired after the 2 hour check-ride, and the passenger better be someone who understands general aviation and is frequently flies in small aircraft.

So we should never take a passenger up that has no GA or small aircraft experience? That seems borderline unethical to me

I think it was the following weekend for me. Took my bride to Sunday brunch at Gaston's.

I flew my girl friend the next day. I think she must have liked it. We were married two years later, 44+ years ago. She still loves to fly.

I dunno man, I was probably safer right after my checkride than a couple of hundred hours later. Same just after my instrument rating.

You might want to consider getting some training for proficiency purposes...

Compared to right now I think I sucked after my PPL checkride, and the checkride was passed without any issues.

Last edited:
After my checkride I was mainly flying with other pilots, it was about three weeks before I took up a passenger.

I have a cousin who volunteered to go up with me the next day. I was eternally grateful for the vote of confidence!

My wife said hell no...my parents said never...and most of my friends are afraid to come...it's been three month and I start to fell like a loser...lol.

My wife said hell no...my parents said never...and most of my friends are afraid to come...it's been three month and I start to fell like a loser...lol.

It's fine, you just have smart friends. :)

So we should never take a passenger up that has no GA or small aircraft experience? That seems borderline unethical to me

After a checkride you have barely learned how to fly. You are still pretty much blind in the air. You emergency handling skills are limited at best. You just had the hardest flight you ever had that lasted 2 hours. How in the world is it ok to go on another flight during which you will not just have to fly the plane but also dedicate time to the first-time passenger.

While the new rule that requires 1500hs to be eligible to work as a first officer is ridiculous on the other end of the scale, private pilot license is called a "license to learn" for a reason. At least take a day to rest, and only take those people who are really asking, for the first 50 hours.

I got my private certificate shortly after my 17th birthday. I then spent my senior year taking dates out to dinner at airports reasonably close by.

I don't have kids, but now that I'm all grown up, if I had a 17 year old daughter, there is NO EFFING WAY I'd let her go up in a small airplane with some high school aged dip****. Heh! :D

Back