Politically Correct ?

Speedy

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Speedy
I went to office depot yesterday to get a few things. At the check out, I said Merry Christmas. The lady at the register replied with "Happy Holidays".

Later, at the mall my wife bought a few items from a shoe store (Foot Locker). Again as we left I said "Merry Christmas". A kid of about 20 replied with "Happy Quanza". This time I got ****ed. No, I said Merry Christmas. He then replied ne was not allowed by management to say that.

I asked to see the manager.

He came out and explained the company did not want to offend anyone. I told him I was offended with the Quanza thing. AT that point he said, sorry, company policy.

OK then, I want to return these three pair of shoes I just bought for $299. He tried like hell to convince me but I was ****ed at that point.

Was I wrong. Are we no longer celebrating Christmas ? Did something change while I was taking a nap ?

Just venting folks.

BTW. Merry Christmas to all my PoA friends.

Ha, that was a good story. No I don't think you were wrong. Did you return the shoes?

What's the big deal, I mean he said happy holiday in a way. Not everyone celebrates Christmas yes most people do but most holidays of similar fashion are around the same time. For "Christmas spirit" shoula let it go, but I dont understand how policy was that the employee was suppose to say Happy Kwanza thats odd. I think happy holidays is politically correct, but hell who cares.

I went to office depot yesterday to get a few things. At the check out, I said Merry Christmas. The lady at the register replied with "Happy Holidays".

Later, at the mall my wife bought a few items from a shoe store (Foot Locker). Again as we left I said "Merry Christmas". A kid of about 20 replied with "Happy Quanza". This time I got ****ed. No, I said Merry Christmas. He then replied ne was not allowed by management to say that.

He came out and explained the company did not want to offend anyone. I told him I was offended with the Quanza thing. AT that point he said, sorry, company policy.

OK then, I want to return these three pair of shoes I just bought for $299. He tried like hell to convince me but I was ****ed at that point.

Was I wrong. Are we no longer celebrating Christmas ? Did something change while I was taking a nap ?

Just venting folks.

It appears you have been napping for a few years.

So, if the 20 something kid had said, "Happy Hanukkah" in response, would you have been ****ed then too? Or how about "Have a nice day?"

Seriously, it's not a big deal.

Happy Festivus!

So, if the 20 something kid had said, "Happy Hanukkah" in response, would you have been ****ed then too? Or how about "Have a nice day?"

Seriously, it's not a big deal.

Where in Africa are you? I just got back from Africa.

Where in Africa are you? I just got back from Africa.

Actually, I haven't been in Africa for over a year now. I'm back to working in Afghanistan now. I should probably update my profile a little more often.:rolleyes:

For the record, I was hanging out in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso when I was there.

Just venting folks.

PC has Ben taken to an absurd level. How can you possibly offend someone by replying with the same greeting they just gave you??!

Good on you for not supporting a company with a stupid policy.

You're ticked off because Footlocker has freedom in this country to run its business the way it wants? No, of course not. Your mad at the way they choose to run it. So, you exercised your right to not shop there. What's the problem? That's how it works...it's freedom.

Btw, the kid was probably just being a snarky kid with the Quanza thing. I can't imagine Footlocker policy is to only say "Happy Quanza". But, if that was their stance then I would support their right to take that stance.

Btw, enough with the self outrage on the perceived 'war on Christmas'. Fer Christ's sake that holiday needs a war on it. Christmas has become a monster that has grown and grown and taken over an entire Month of the year! Thanksgiving in November is failing as a backstop as people put their XMas lights and decorations up earlier and earlier. Halloween is in the sights of Christmas and should be worried for its survival.

We need a war on Christmas. We need to beat that thing back down to a week or two AT MOST!

Getting worked up on how some minimum wage kid gives your 'holiday greeting'...priceless.

What's the big deal, I mean he said happy holiday in a way. Not everyone celebrates Christmas yes most people do but most holidays of similar fashion are around the same time. For "Christmas spirit" shoula let it go, but I dont understand how policy was that the employee was suppose to say Happy Kwanza thats odd. I think happy holidays is politically correct, but hell who cares.

I have no issue with people choosing to say "Happy Holidays", I have an issue with employers not allowing employees to say "Merry Christmas" that would otherwise do so. If someone wishes me a "happy Kwanzaa", I respond with "have a joyous Festivus".

I thought it was Kwanza.....did I miss some memo???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

How do you think someone named Levy feels about being wished "Merry Christmas"? There was a time when I was much younger when I'd respond "What makes you think I'm a Christian?" but I gave up being so Scroogey. So, whether I'm issuing the greeting or responding to one (whether it be Christmas, Holidays, Kwanzaa, or from my Druid friends "Solstice"), I say "Happy Holidays," and if that upsets you, you aren't (in this Jew's opinion) a very good Christian.

And with that, the best of the holiday season (whichever one you celebrate) to all on PoA.

Just venting folks.

You want to get ****ed off over a slight to a dead man whose mantra was "turn the other cheek". Jesus would roll in his grave.

If someone greeted me with Merry Christmas, Happy Kwaanza or Happy Hannakuh, I respond with the same greeting...Hey, if thats what they are celebrating, I am celebrating with them...I do expect the same consideration.

The one I abhor is Happy Holidays....freaking pick one and go with it...you have GOT to be celebrating something...:D

There is too much stuff that really matters to get my BVD's all bunched up over how someone greets me or responds to me a greeting I send them.

Merry Christmas!

"Happy Holidays" says to me, "I don't know(or care) what you celebrate so whatever it is, have a good one. The "Happy Kwanzaa" would have made more sense in a mom & pop store because one of the principles of Kwanzaa is cooperative economics.

Just venting folks.

SPEEDY
Friend I am on your side on this one. I agree with the one post, if you say Merry Christmas then by gosh they should say it back. If you say happy kwanza or happy holidays, they should say that.
I am a Merry Christmas guy. I say happy hanakah to my Jewish friends and wish my Canadian buddies happy Boxing Day.
I don't want some one calling my wife "hey Lady" all the time. She has a name, you have a name and I have one. Once you know it, use it.
This PC stuff is beyond me, we can't offend anyone except Christian white coservative European males.
I am with you,
Check out American Family Association.

Merry Christmas to all.

:wink2::goofy:

SPEEDY
Friend I am on your side on this one. I agree with the one post, if you say Merry Christmas then by gosh they should say it back. If you say happy kwanza or happy holidays, they should say that.
I am a Merry Christmas guy. I say happy hanakah to my Jewish friends and wish my Canadian buddies happy Boxing Day.
I don't want some one calling my wife "hey Lady" all the time. She has a name, you have a name and I have one. Once you know it, use it.
This PC stuff is beyond me, we can't offend anyone except Christian white coservative European males.
I am with you,
Check out American Family Association.

Merry Christmas to all.

:wink2::goofy:

What if they aren't Christian or believe in Christmas? I think "and a happy new year" would be the best reply regardless of which story people are brainwashed into believing.

What if they aren't Christian or believe in Christmas? I think "and a happy new year" would be the best reply regardless of which story people are brainwashed into believing.
Not all of us believe the year begins on January 1st, so even that can be a trap for the politically correct among us.

How do you think someone named Levy feels about being wished "Merry Christmas"? There was a time when I was much younger when I'd respond "What makes you think I'm a Christian?" but I gave up being so Scroogey. So, whether I'm issuing the greeting or responding to one (whether it be Christmas, Holidays, Kwanzaa, or from my Druid friends "Solstice"), I say "Happy Holidays," and if that upsets you, you aren't (in this Jew's opinion) a very good Christian.

And with that, the best of the holiday season (whichever one you celebrate) to all on PoA.
I don't know that many Jews, but the five or six that I do know seem to be pretty good sports at Christmas time.

Speedy, only because you asked, if you are looking for Christmas at the mall, you are looking in the wrong place. I think you went way overboard. The mall is all about selling stuff. Christmas is all about peace and love for one another. You should have been giving that kid a little love instead of giving him a load of grief. I think that would have gone a lot farther to spread the Christmas spirit than going off on everyone. Just my opinion.

So with that, merry Christmas to all of you, whether it is a special day to you or not. I wish you the best.

Max

Last edited:
Did you need extra-large envelopes just for the return address?

Actually, I haven't been in Africa for over a year now. I'm back to working in Afghanistan now. I should probably update my profile a little more often.:rolleyes:

For the record, I was hanging out in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso when I was there.

Not all of us believe the year begins on January 1st, so even that can be a trap for the politically correct among us.

Damn Supply Corps people keep trying to tell me the year ends Sep 30th.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

So your first paragraph extolls freedom and the you seek to curtail it?

Why are frac companies allowed to advertise? Who needs their high-priced sorryass-maintenance product anyway?

You're ticked off because Footlocker has freedom in this country to run its business the way it wants? No, of course not. Your mad at the way they choose to run it. So, you exercised your right to not shop there. What's the problem? That's how it works...it's freedom.

Btw, the kid was probably just being a snarky kid with the Quanza thing. I can't imagine Footlocker policy is to only say "Happy Quanza". But, if that was their stance then I would support their right to take that stance.

Btw, enough with the self outrage on the perceived 'war on Christmas'. Fer Christ's sake that holiday needs a war on it. Christmas has become a monster that has grown and grown and taken over an entire Month of the year! Thanksgiving in November is failing as a backstop as people put their XMas lights and decorations up earlier and earlier. Halloween is in the sights of Christmas and should be worried for its survival.

We need a war on Christmas. We need to beat that thing back down to a week or two AT MOST!

Getting worked up on how some minimum wage kid gives your 'holiday greeting'...priceless.

I don't know that many Jews, but the five or six that I do know seem to be pretty good sports at Christmas time.
Your Jewish acquaintances may be good sports about it, but you'd better believe we do feel it every time someone wishes us a Merry Christmas. Not nearly as bad as a black person hearing someone say, "That was mighty white of you," but it does register, especially if the person saying it knows I'm Jewish. While I understand that folks who don't know me don't realize what they're doing, my good friends always find a holiday greeting which doesn't show such insensitivity.

And for those who don't know a Jew, no, we don't have horns.

Funny thing is all these places trying to be PC still put out the candy cane, Christmas trees, santas, etc decorations?!

I'm not of the Jesus persuasion, however I still like to get a tree and drink eggnog and balies and all that other Christmas stuff.

Besides Christmas is about as far as you can get from religion, unless your religion is being a consumer/shopper. Whatever religious meaning it had died A LONG, LONG time ago.

So MERRY CHRISTMAS guys!

It was funny, I was doing a boat delivery and training the new guy on it who's an Israeli. During a discussion it cam up that Jews make up 1/10% of the population, it struck me as funny that 1/3rd of my friends are Jews. Out of them 2 take it seriously and 2/3rds of them use "Jesus Christ!" as an explitive.

Sam Skinner owned the ladies' wear in Elk City. He said "What a friend we have in Jesus" was one of his favorite songs starting right after Thanksgiving.

Your Jewish acquaintances may be good sports about it, but you'd better believe we do feel it every time someone wishes us a Merry Christmas. Not nearly as bad as a black person hearing someone say, "That was mighty white of you," but it does register, especially if the person saying it knows I'm Jewish. While I understand that folks who don't know me don't realize what they're doing, my good friends always find a holiday greeting which doesn't show such insensitivity.

I grew up in a community with a large Jewish population so the "Happy Holidays" thing is nothing new to me. We even got the Jewish holidays as well as the Christian holidays off in school. This was in the 1960s and no one thought it was strange. Can't believe it's still controversial.

I grew up in a community with a large Jewish population so the "Happy Holidays" thing is nothing new to me. We even got the Jewish holidays as well as the Christian holidays off in school. This was in the 1960s and no one thought it was strange. Can't believe it's still controversial.

That's just it, it's not just 'still' controversial, it's gaining controversy. I grew up as you did, nobody gave a crap or got offended over each others holidays in our neighborhood and anyone was welcome to anyone else's festivals. What a messed up species we are.

I don't really care what kind of holiday greeting I get, or if I even get one. But I will say though that Kwanzaa is a stupid, idiotic manufactured holiday enacted for the sole purpose of further dividing blacks and whites socially. But if someone wishes me a happy Kwanzaa, then whatever, it's fine.

Here's a Jew who doesn't mind :D

Why should I be offended if someone says Merry Christmas ?

So this is a great opportunity to wish you all a MERRY CHRISTMAS AND VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR !

Tesla-Model-S-rear-quarter.jpg

Back