Political Fundraiser Closes KSDL to VFR Traffic for 2+ Days

kkoran

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Kent
VP Biden will be in Scottsdale, AZ for a DNC fundraiser. The associated TFR effectively closes KSDL to VFR traffic from 2245L on Thursday until 1100 on Sunday.

His visit was planned well in advance, but the NOTAM was published today at 1744--only 36 hours (& 1 minute) in advance rather than the normal 2+ days prior.

VP Biden will be in Scottsdale, AZ for a DNC fundraiser. The associated TFR effectively closes KSDL to VFR traffic from 2245L on Thursday until 1100 on Sunday.

His visit was planned well in advance, but the NOTAM was published today at 1744--only 36 hours (& 1 minute) in advance rather than the normal 2+ days prior.

That sucks because of the time and the short notice.

It isn't so bad as a Presidential TFR: Radius: 3 nautical miles, Altitude: From the surface up to but not including 3000 feet AGL, and IFR allowed.

Put another way: I live in Maryland.

Not as bad as a potus TFR. You can always file for the nearest airport IFR ,then cancel.

It is a NASCAR weekend in Phoenix too... Gonna pi$$ off alot of VFR race fans..

You can file IFR even if you can't fly IMC.

How does a VFR pilot accept an IFR clearance? If they allow a DC SFRA-like flight plan, that would be one thing, but an IFR clearance seems to be the only option per the TFR.

My understanding is that you cannot legally file an IFR flight plan if you are not IFR rated. IMC has nothing to do with it.

My understanding is that you cannot legally file an IFR flight plan if you are not IFR rated. IMC has nothing to do with it.

It's my understanding that you can file all the IFR flight plans you want to as a VFR pilot. You just can't accept the IFR clearance.

But, either way, I would certainly think no VFR pilots are getting in or out of that ring.

It's my understanding that you can file all the IFR flight plans you want to as a VFR pilot. You just can't accept the IFR clearance.

But, either way, I would certainly think no VFR pilots are getting in or out of that ring.

VFR pilots can file. I did when I was working on my IR. But, the CFII's name, etc. were in the comment box and he was the one who accepted the clearance. No IR, no accepting IFR clearances.

A non IR pilot getting busted for an illicit IFR clearance through a tfr would be a laugh.

Back