Policy?!?!?

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
Gosh, I hate to do this, but this thread belongs in Spin Zone. In keeping with the MC's recent policy decision, we won't move threads into Spin, we'll lock 'em instead.

Okay, color me confused.

I am requesting a clarification of what the "MC's recent policy decision" is.

How on earth do you justify locking this thread, which (aside from the word "congress" in the subject line) was not political and had only about a dozen good-natured posts before it was locked; yet you leave this one and this one open despite them being a combined 22 pages full of vitriol, politics, and personal attacks and there were bad post reports sent on them by multiple people? :dunno:

Okay, color me confused.

I am requesting a clarification of what the "MC's recent policy decision" is.

How on earth do you justify locking this thread, which (aside from the word "congress" in the subject line) was not political and had only about a dozen good-natured posts before it was locked; yet you leave this one and this one open despite them being a combined 22 pages full of vitriol, politics, and personal attacks and there were bad post reports sent on them by multiple people? :dunno:

Ok so I was not the only who was perplexed by this action. Whew!

Apparently discussion on US National Defense policy, maritime policy, gun control, UN treaties is NOT political but the discussion of what type of non-native carp is in the Great Lakes is. I guess that is maybe because non-native species are related to illegal immigration?

I dunno. I was as perplexed as you.

Last edited:
Hey, it's their party and we play at their pleasure. I was also a bit surprised, but will give them the benefit of the doubt.

lol im glad you pointed that out kent. i hadn't paid attention to that thread.

We got complaints about the thread. I may not have read it as carefully as I might otherwise have, and I closed it because it a) looked political, and b) we got complaints.

As is also our oplicy the MC is looking at it more carefully, and will reopen it if appropriate....

We got complaints about the thread.

For the topic, or the picture? If the latter, it's funny that one of the MC with a fantastic sense of humor posted it, and that lead to the thread being closed! LOL! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

If the picture was offensive, wouldn't it be prudent to take a closer look at the picture? Then, if anything, ask the poster to remove the picture out of consideration?

lol im glad you pointed that out kent. i hadn't paid attention to that thread.

Kent is watching the watchers! :D:rofl::D

wtf-pics-who-watching-dad.jpg

The complaint was about the picture. MC just voted that it did not violate the rules. Thread reopened. Just keep the pix PG-rated and all will be fine.

The complaint was about the picture. MC just voted that it did not violate the rules. Thread reopened. Just keep the pix PG-rated and all will be fine.

So... If a post has a picture of a scantily clad woman, it "belongs in the Spin Zone"??? :dunno: :frown2: Sorry, not buying that explanation. :nono: Bill?

And I'm still very much unclear as to why those other two threads stayed open long enough to generate 22 pages of crap, when they went blatantly political within the first page or two. :dunno:

It is, in fact, most appropriate to be examining the picture more closely.

I'm with Kent on this. There are a lot of threads that have good reason to be closed. This was definitely not one of them.

Also, nobody has addressed the "recent policy decision."

My recent policy is to take another, very close, look at the picture.

My recent policy is to take another, very close, look at the picture.

A policy we can all stand behind.

Spike for president! :yes: :yes: :yes:

Of what? I don't know, but something!

Bad on the complainant. While the picture was not in the best of taste, it was a pun on the thread title. The fact that it occurred to no one that the photo was the cause of the MC's action should demonstrate its propriety within this community. I don't like to criticize, but I really do think that some of us should grow a thicker skin.

I don't like to criticize, but I really do think that some of us should grow a thicker skin.
And allow for the fact that our board consists of human beings who sometimes need time to think things over, sometimes will be somewhat inconsistant, and sometimes make mistakes.

Read again -- we decided it did not violate the rules. After a BP report was filed, one member closed the thread pending decision. We decided. Thread is open.

My point is, I don't think Bill closed it because of the picture Spike posted, else he'd have said something other than it "belongs in the Spin Zone."

My point is, I don't think Bill closed it because of the picture Spike posted, else he'd have said something other than it "belongs in the Spin Zone."
Since the BP report reported the picture, and only the picture, and Bill's action took place upon receipt of that report, and the propriety of the picture was the only thing discussed by the MC, I think you are wrong. And that's about as much of a peek behind the green door as you get.

Since the BP report reported the picture, and only the picture, and Bill's action took place upon receipt of that report, and the propriety of the picture was the only thing discussed by the MC, I think you are wrong. And that's about as much of a peek behind the green door as you get.

I would think then, that he would have chosen words other than "Belongs in Spin Zone."

This is a spin job of some sort....but I don't know exactly why.....

Smells weird.

Perhaps there was thought questionable images belonged in the SZ where viewership is limited? That would seem a reasonable thought process. I don't agree with how it took place but were that the result and explained as such, I'd better understand it.

Bad on the complainant. While the picture was not in the best of taste, it was a pun on the thread title. The fact that it occurred to no one that the photo was the cause of the MC's action should demonstrate its propriety within this community. I don't like to criticize, but I really do think that some of us should grow a thicker skin.
OK, I'll out myself and take the grief being heaped upon the MC. My complaint was "This is SZ fodder." When asked for more detail, this is what I sent.
This is a non-aviation, political thread. Those people who start a thread because they want to criticize government for passing laws should do so in Spin Zone unless the laws affect aviation. This thread looks like another attempt to inflame anarchist/big government passions in Hangar Talk.

I really enjoy reading posts about aviation and flying. There is a lot to learn on this board. Whether one state or another is banning importation of goldfish just doesn't rise to the level of New Jersey's attempt to close down their airports.
Unfortunately, the last post in the thread had the photo on it, so many people concluded that the complaint was about it. Not at all. The photo simply caused me to roll my eyes, shrug my shoulders, and sigh.

But, political discussions become incendiary very quickly. I agree that a few threads have gone into political territory and stayed there. Does that mean no one can complain about any others that cross that line? The thread under discussion, by its title, wanted to start partisan controversy.

Unfortunately, the last post in the thread had the photo on it, so many people concluded that the complaint was about it. Not at all. The photo simply caused me to roll my eyes, shrug my shoulders, and sigh.

So now, knowing all of this....why would Ron Levy come out and intentionally mislead us on this. Something weird is going on here. Power trip? No, this is something else...

But, political discussions become incendiary very quickly. I agree that a few threads have gone into political territory and stayed there. Does that mean no one can complain about any others that cross that line? The thread under discussion, by its title, wanted to start partisan controversy.
I'm very glad that you posted this Aunt Peggy. I tend to agree with you (I make mistakes and sometimes post political stuff in non Spin Zone areas, but I know that some people don't want to see it, so I try to avoid doing it).

But that doesn't explain the out and out deceit by Ron here. I'm perplexed as to why he'd go that far out of his way to fabricate a story about a thread closing.

Its really bizarre....

Thanks, Nick, for your support.
But that doesn't explain the out and out deceit by Ron here. I'm perplexed as to why he'd go that far out of his way to fabricate a story about a thread closing.

Its really bizarre....
My response was in a private message to a member of the MC (not Ron). It is quite possible that the discussions Ron had with the MC preceded my response and that the decision was based upon the supposition that the photo prompted my complaint. After all, the photo was in the last post when I complained. I see no plot or deceit or fabrication here.

Lesson learned: Be very specific when sending a complaint. What seems obvious to the sender may not even occur to the receiver.

Last edited:
OK, I'll out myself and take the grief being heaped upon the MC. My complaint was "This is SZ fodder." When asked for more detail, this is what I sent.

OH FOR PETE"S SAKES!!!!!!! Hangar talk is for non aviation content. That's its purpose in life. It's partially why the board was set up. Not every bloody thing that mentions the government is politics! Like I said, try growing a thicker skin. Barring that, use some damn common sense! We were talking about bloody GOLDFISH!!!!!!!

No doubt about it. It's a conspiracy (probably right-wing if Clinton is to be believed) that deserves at least 50 more posts detailing this egregious of abuse of power. This civil liberties thing is bigger than all of us, and each instance should be fully aired with all details and theories. Who do they think they are anyway? Sheesh.

So now, knowing all of this....why would Ron Levy come out and intentionally mislead us on this. Something weird is going on here. Power trip? No, this is something else...

I'm very glad that you posted this Aunt Peggy. I tend to agree with you (I make mistakes and sometimes post political stuff in non Spin Zone areas, but I know that some people don't want to see it, so I try to avoid doing it).

Its really bizarre....

OK, I'll say it: "Bill f***ed up" :nono:

Now can't we all jes' get along? :D

No doubt about it. It's a conspiracy (probably right-wing if Clinton is to be believed) that deserves at least 50 more posts detailing this egregious of abuse of power. This civil liberties thing is bigger than all of us, and each instance should be fully aired with all details and theories. Who do they think they are anyway? Sheesh.

So now TSA bashing falls down a peg?

If it isn't clear "Belongs in the SZ" was what the bad post complaint said. The complaint didn't come from any member of the MC.

I said it before and I'll say it again. I have no beef with the MC. It is their sandbox, and I will play by their rules.

How can you live with yourself if you let them get by with this? Why, the next thing you know they'll be playing for money in a pinch-backed suit . . .
I said it before and I'll say it again. I have no beef with the MC. It is their sandbox, and I will play by their rules.

How can you live with yourself if you let them get by with this? Why, the next thing you know they'll be playing for money in a pinch-backed suit . . .

Fritterin', I say Fitterin', reading Captain Billy's Wiz Bang!

That starts with T and rhymes with P and stands for ...

Thanks Peggy - That sure clears things up a lot! The picture thing vs. Bill's quote just made absolutely no sense... Until now.

FWIW, I wasn't so irked that this thread was closed as I was that the other two were NOT closed and allowed to run rampant in Hangar Talk. But I do think that "mild" political stuff should be OK in Hangar Talk, at least until the flamethrowers come out. All I was going to post was something about the hardiness of goldfish. Sigh.

You can joke and make fun of me all you want (my respect for you doesn't change one bit), but what it comes down to is there has to be a reason Ron Levy came into this thread and out and out lied about what happened.

Every other moderator came and told the truth. What could have possibly been the motive behind making up a reason?

Back