Police Ramp Checks

I agree. My academic discussion of the legal issues should not be confused with any concern about LEO's going out to the airport just to check on pilots. I only know of a handful of events of that nature spread over my several decades of aviation experience, and they usually involved some triggering action like a call about suspicious activity or a late-night no-lights arrival at a very quiet unattended airport (suggesting drug trafficking) or something like that.

Or a glider flying in the same neighborhood as a nuclear power plant.

Yes of course. At easton maryland, in the 80's, a short landed with windows blanked out with OD paint, a ratty looking short. The pilot got out, in a t shirt and Bermudas,long hair, clogs, went to a pay phone, called, walked quickly back to the plane, fired up, taxied down to the end of the runway and sat there a long time. No radio transmission ( this was pre tower days) Someone called the police and just as they pulled in, he took off. We surmised he might have mistaken esn for summit airport in Delaware which at that time was heavily involved in CIA " activities" associated with Iran contra. That's a whole other story.

Or it was just another Jimmy Buffett sighting. :)

You only need to have your pilot credentials in your possession or in the aircraft “when exercising the privileges” of your certificate. I’m not sure how this regulation lets the FAA ask any pilot for their credentials at any time, let alone a LEO.

In America, pedestrian citizens are not required to carry identification with them, nor are they required to show identification to any government official merely upon demand. Under the fourth amendment, we are immune from unreasonable searches and seizures. In certain situations, such as when you’re suspected of a crime that the officer can articulate, you may have to verbally identify yourself by name and birthdate.

Walking around in a public area is a fundamental right of all citizens, not a privilege of a pilots license.

Here is the relevant section of FAR 61.3:

(1) [has appropriate FAA license in their possession while exercising the privileges]

(2) Has a photo identification that is in that person’s physical possession or readily accessible in the aircraft when exercising the privileges of that pilot certificate or authorization.

I've never been "ramp" checked in the FAA sense, but I have had the local police come up to me on the ramp and inquire what I was doing on a few occasions.

Of course last weekend I was across the runway when two Sheriff's Office cars showed up. Apparently one of my neighbors butt-dialed 911 and despite there not being any voices on the call, they had to check it out. Fortunately, I've always been on good terms with the local deputies.

You only need to have your pilot credentials in your possession or in the aircraft “when exercising the privileges” of your certificate. I’m not sure how this regulation lets the FAA ask any pilot for their credentials at any time, let alone a LEO.

In America, pedestrian citizens are not required to carry identification with them, nor are they required to show identification to any government official merely upon demand. Under the fourth amendment, we are immune from unreasonable searches and seizures. In certain situations, such as when you’re suspected of a crime that the officer can articulate, you may have to verbally identify yourself by name and birthdate.

Walking around in a public area is a fundamental right of all citizens, not a privilege of a pilots license.

(1) [has appropriate FAA license in their possession while exercising the privileges]

(2) Has a photo identification that is in that person’s physical possession or readily accessible in the aircraft when exercising the privileges of that pilot certificate or authorization.

.Well, that came out of nowhere

Keep reading 61.3 all the way down to down to "l"
(l) Inspection of certificate. Each person who holds an airman certificate, temporary document in accordance with paragraph (a)(1)(v) or (vi) of this section, medical certificate, documents establishing alternative medical qualification under part 68 of this chapter, authorization, or license required by this part must present it and their photo identification as described in paragraph (a)(2) of this section for inspection upon a request from:

(1) The Administrator;

(2) An authorized representative of the National Transportation Safety Board;

(3) Any Federal, State, or local law enforcement officer; or

(4) An authorized representative of the Transportation Security Administration.

Why would an Inspector even consider doing something like that? (randomly ask someone in a grocery store)
Maybe they were hitting on you in the grocery store, used to be a way to meet someone, I met more women in the grocery store than in bars, not so much anymore, will it work.

its-alive-this-thread-is-alive.jpg

What that LEO can do in terms of FAA enforcement is, generally, zip.

Since this thread has been shocked back to life, I will just note that this statement is not entirely true.

Since this thread has been shocked back to life, I will just note that this statement is not entirely true.
Explain please

Tim

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

Explain please

Tim

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

There are certain FAA regulations that, if violated, open you up to pretty draconian law enforcement tactics. For example, flying a plane with an expired aircraft registration.

"WHY ARE YOU ASKING SUCH A STUPID QUESTION?? THAT HAS BEEN ANSWERED HERE 100 TIMES ALREADY! USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION!!" - 99.5% of PoA posters.

"WHY ARE YOU POSTING TO SUCH AN OLD THREAD?!!" - Also 99.5 % of PoA posters.

"WHY ARE YOU ASKING SUCH A STUPID QUESTION?? THAT HAS BEEN ANSWERED HERE 100 TIMES ALREADY! USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION!!" - 99.5% of PoA posters.

"WHY ARE YOU POSTING TO SUCH AN OLD THREAD?!!" - Also 99.5 % of PoA posters.
The necropost wasn't asking a question. It was answering a question that no one was currently asking.

Since we've revived this post, I'm gonna need all of you to send me copies of your Pilot's certificate and medical so I can just ramp check you all enmasse and get it over with. Also sent a $10 'processing fee' with your documents..

Back