Podcast Input

Jim Schilling

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FlyMidwestJim
For all you podcast enthusiast out there, I’m looking for some input on the direction of my next podcast venture.

I have two primary concepts that I’m looking to explore further. Let me know what you think.

1. I’m starting my CFI work next year. I’m thinking of a podcast that starts off chronicling that journey. Once I achieve it, I’ll keep going by sharing the continued learning I’ll do once I take one students.

2. With the pilot shortage has come many people who are deciding to chase their dreams and making a second career out of aviation. I would tell the stories of those who have made the switch, discuss where they came from, what inspired them to change careers, and their journey to get there.

I really love sharing aviation with others. So any input is appreciated!

Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm the third person I know personally to try to make a switch to aviation career in our 30s. I think it would be cool to hear similar stories. Part of those stories involve becoming a CFI at one point. Two birds

Jim, these are both certainly relevant to me and I suspect many others. I’m certainly eyeing / exploring aviation as a second career - but definitely see a general lack of stories out there. Would love to hear more about those who have succeeded, pitfalls, and lessons learned.

The second one sounds more interesting, and it's a bit different from all the other aviation podcasts.

You could make it even more interesting if you included pilots who have aviation jobs other than airline flying. Search & rescue, firefighting, corporate flying, remote area transport, crop dusting, wildlife surveys, etc., etc. Maybe also include a few non-flying aviation jobs, like ATC or airport management. See if you can find a physician who gave up a successful career as a brain surgeon to become an OKC aeromed bureaucrat. ;)

So I went the direction of people following their dreams into aviation based careers. I recorded the first interview for “Fly the Transition” last week.

I put out some feelers for potential guests and wound up with 10 guests so far. I’ve got charter pilots, an airline pilot and content creator, air ambulance pilot, and an airport manager to name a few.

It’s a totally different feel from the more light hearted Flying Midwest Podcast, but I think it’s going to be great!

I’m looking forward to sharing with everyone!!!

Might seem odd, but what about an interview or two from someone who started training for new pilot career but didn't make it. Changed their minds, didn't work out for some other reason, etc. Could be very informative.

I've been curious/jealous about the career path of the IL State Police aviation unit. They do traffic enforcement, searches, and recon missions in 182's. Not sure if you have to be a trooper first or if you can come in as a pilot. I assume MN has a similar unit? Hoping they were on your list.

I've been curious/jealous about the career path of the IL State Police aviation unit. They do traffic enforcement, searches, and recon missions in 182's. Not sure if you have to be a trooper first or if you can come in as a pilot. I assume MN has a similar unit? Hoping they were on your list.

In our state, the DNR and State Patrol are the only powered flight units. They both have fixed won’t and rotarywing aircraft.

For the state patrol, you have to be a trooper for 3 or 5 years before you can apply. Hard pass!

Yeah, trooper first. They figure it is better to teach a seasoned trooper to fly who knows how to be a police officer first vs trying to train and get experience with law enforcement on a pilot.

Yeah, trooper first. They figure it is better to teach a seasoned trooper to fly who knows how to be a police officer first vs trying to train and get experience with law enforcement on a pilot.

I wish they would hire seasoned LE in general. Then I’d be in. I don’t have any desire after 17 years in this gig to go back to an academy again though.

So you're saying police are easier to train than pilots?

Yeah that checks out.

Easier to train a person to fly vs train how to be a good cop. Or at least that’s what I read why they do that.

In our state, the DNR and State Patrol are the only powered flight units. They both have fixed won’t and rotarywing aircraft.

For the state patrol, you have to be a trooper for 3 or 5 years before you can apply.
Same for the DNR, IIRC…you have to be a DNR enforcement officer.

So you're saying police are easier to train than pilots?

Yeah that checks out.

I think it's easier to train a good pilot than a good cop, but easier to train a mediocre cop than a good pilot. Aviation tends to kill the bad and mediocre pilots, whereas many bad or mediocre cops often escape the consequences of their lacking abilities.

So I went the direction of people following their dreams into aviation based careers. I recorded the first interview for “Fly the Transition” last week.

I put out some feelers for potential guests and wound up with 10 guests so far. I’ve got charter pilots, an airline pilot and content creator, air ambulance pilot, and an airport manager to name a few.

It’s a totally different feel from the more light hearted Flying Midwest Podcast, but I think it’s going to be great!

I’m looking forward to sharing with everyone!!!

I'm looking forward to listening your first episode!

Should be interesting to hear those stories.

What about ones who went from one aviation profession to another aviation profession, eg. ATC to airline pilot?

Will definitely give it a listen!

As a heavy pod listener (various topics) I’d give you this advice:
No matter what it takes, you have to nail great audio quality.

Bad audio is like going to your favorite restaurant and getting horrible service.
You may never go back due to the one bad experience.

me thinks bad audio pods are similar, you only have one chance to make a good impression for the listeners.

Will definitely give it a listen!

As a heavy pod listener (various topics) I’d give you this advice:
No matter what it takes, you have to nail great audio quality.

Bad audio is like going to your favorite restaurant and getting horrible service.
You may never go back due to the one bad experience.

me thinks bad audio pods are similar, you only have one chance to make a good impression for the listeners.

That’s good input. I used a new software to record the first episode and it sounds like a tin can. May delay the release to fix the audio.

That’s good input. I used a new software to record the first episode and it sounds like a tin can. May delay the release to fix the audio.

One thing I hate on many podcasts is the lack of dynamic compression. I often listen in the car and it seems as though I’m constantly adjusting the volume.

I know some states do that, but I don't think NY State is one of them. There was a job posting a while ago, for NYS police, looking for experienced pilots. If I remember it right, they were looking for helicopter experience and a commercial or higher rating. NY City aviation may be completely different, as they're completely independent.

I can only guess why NYS does it that way, but the guess would be that it's cheaper to put a pilot through the police academy than it is send a trooper to aviation school, because the academy is already paid for and the incremental cost is low. Again, though, that's a guess.

When are you planning on releasing your first episode?

I’ve have the interview edited down. I have my narrative transitions to record and edit and an Outro. I hope to publish tomorrow night or. I day am.

I just want to know how many times you have to injure\kill a student to get then to relinquish the controls.
Contact me when you post those podcasts.

When are you planning on releasing your first episode?

Published it last weekend! Getting some good initial feedback!

Check it out.

Anchor.fm/flythetransition

Back