POAers in Washington State

warthog1984

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
LanCA'r
Work is sending me on a trip to WA next week. Any Pireps for must-stop places, unique planes/airports, or opportunities for hangar flying?

I'll be starting near AWO / Everett and working down the peninsula and then around to SEA.

The Museum of Flight at KBFI is a must see. If you are downtown Seattle and the weather is OK take a trip to the top of the Space Needle and enjoy the view. And while you are up in Everett, there's a pretty good museum at KPAE. Or so the pictures suggest. I haven't been there yet.

What brings you up to the Pacific Northwe(s)t?

Metropoliton Grill for a steak dinner, Space neetle for view if the weather is clear, stunning view of Mt Reiner .....Sidney wakeham:yes:

I like orcas island/eastsound, Friday harbor is nice too. Be only been there in the summer though.

You could always stop at BVS and have lunch with me. :)

The Museum of Flight at KBFI is a must see. If you are downtown Seattle and the weather is OK take a trip to the top of the Space Needle and enjoy the view. And while you are up in Everett, there's a pretty good museum at KPAE. Or so the pictures suggest. I haven't been there yet.

What brings you up to the Pacific Northwe(s)t?

Work, what else? New project/team, new facilities to look at.

Depending on your normal extracurricular activities, there are lots of things to see/do. The snow comes and goes in the mountains east of Seattle. The weather is warmer than usual, so it was melting last week. But the mountain are really spectacular. A flight to Victoria BC in one of the floatplanes from Kenmore Air on Lake Union in Seattle is pretty special. The planes land in the harbor right in the heart of Downtown Victoria and that is a fun city to visit if you have a passport. If you don't have a passport, you could fly to the San Juan Islands and poke around there. A boat tour on Puget Sound can be good, or make a trip to the Olympic Peninsula and visit the Olympic National Park. Hurricane Ridge is a viewpoint looking over the park and the mountains there are young and jagged. It is like looking into the heart of the Alps. There are hot springs scattered around the park too. If you head up that way, stop off at the Aviation Museum in Port Townsend and mosey into town for a taste of an historical Victorian seaport. Stop off at the Ivars on Lake Union for fish and chips and watch the planes coming and going even if you don't take a flight. Renting a kayak for a paddle around Lake Union or rent a canoe at UW for a paddle around the arboretum in Lake Washington. Stop off at one of the MANY microbreweries in the area and have a special winter brew. The northwest is a very difficult area to not have fun! What kind of flying do you do at home? Maybe we can connect you with pilots with a similar bent while you are in the area...

You could also make the trip up to Everett's Paine Field and visit the Boeing Plant - watch them build really big planes. That is pretty interesting tour and only takes 90 minutes...

Wrapped up the Everett portion of the trip early, so if Tom would turn his PM function on, we could try to setup lunch.

flyhound- I'm interested in type-hunting and low & slow flying. So if anybody has an unique plane or is just interested in hangar flying, PM me.

Back