POAer spotted out in the wild.

You be havin' TIS-B most likely. I think some Cirri have a TCAS system since it only adds about 10 AMU to the price tag. What's an added 1%?

I wasn’t there but I bet he had both TIS-B on a tablet through ADSb in and active traffic (Skywatch) in the panel. It’s not quite real TCAS because it does not provide resolution advisories but it is active traffic that interrogates nearby airplanes with a separate transmitter (basically TCAS light for advisory purposes). There are several manufacturers that Cirrus has used over the years (L3, Avidyne and Garmin if I recall correctly). Newer models of Skywatch blend both active traffic and ADSB inputs but Bryan’s vintage Cirrus is active only.

I wasn’t there but I bet he had both TIS-B on a tablet through ADSb in and active traffic (Skywatch) in the panel. It’s not quite real TCAS because it does not provide resolution advisories but it is active traffic that interrogates nearby airplanes with a separate transmitter (basically TCAS light for advisory purposes). There are several manufacturers that Cirrus has used over the years (L3, Avidyne and Garmin if I recall correctly). Newer models of Skywatch blend both active traffic and ADSB inputs but Bryan’s vintage Cirrus is active only.

It is not TCAS. Period. Full stop.

TCAS is a very specific thing that utilizes Mode-S transponders ONLY (no UAT, no ADS-B) and has a number of features ADS-B does NOT have, including Resolution Advisories calculated by one or both aircraft, and continuous monitoring of the other aircraft’s flight path via accelerated updates directly sent between the two aircraft in conflict, that do not rely on any ground station being involved whatsoever.

If there’s a TCAS on board something you’re flying, you’d know about it, and it would be called such in the aircraft manual, along with describing exactly which TYPE/level of TCAS it is and any limitations the system has for RAs and the like.

I don’t think we are disagreeing Nate. Maybe I should not have used the phrase “TCAS light” Thanks for clarifying with more detail.

Do you have a rod and reel? Do you have a live well? Do you even have a fishing certificate?
I don't think that's technically correct ... I don't believe we have certificated fishermen ... I think it's actually licensed fishermen? :) versus undocumented fishermen?

I don’t think we are disagreeing Nate. Maybe I should not have used the phrase “TCAS light” Thanks for clarifying with more detail.

What you are calling "TCAS light" is actually called TAS.

But, try to get a Cirrus driver who has it to NOT call it TCAS. Especially on the radio. Maybe with the annoying "fish finder" phraseology. (Dude, your landing gear is hanging out there all the time. That's just embarrassing. Stop compensating.) :rofl:

What you are calling "TCAS light" is actually called TAS.

But, try to get a Cirrus driver who has it to NOT call it TCAS. Especially on the radio. Maybe with the annoying "fish finder" phraseology. (Dude, your landing gear is hanging out there all the time. That's just embarrassing. Stop compensating.) :rofl:

I do know that but I was trying to explain in simple terms (and apparently poorly) the difference between TCAS and an advisory only but active (meaning different from ADSB-In traffic system). To me, changing “collision avoidance” to “advisory” could still be a bit vague so I was trying to provide more detail especially if one doesn’t know what an RA is.

I think Nate covered it pretty well.

And I agree about the fish finder phraseology. Not really funny. Especially after the first couple of hundred times.

I don't think that's technically correct ... I don't believe we have certificated fishermen ... I think it's actually licensed fishermen? :) versus undocumented fishermen?

I refer to myself as a certificated fisherman.
Makes my brother lose his mind.

Fish finder?
This is America, call it anything you want.

I do know that but I was trying to explain in simple terms (and apparently poorly) the difference between TCAS and an advisory only but active (meaning different from ADSB-In traffic system). To me, changing “collision avoidance” to “advisory” could still be a bit vague so I was trying to provide more detail especially if one doesn’t know what an RA is.

And I agree about the fish finder phraseology. Not really funny. Especially after the first couple of hundred times.

LOL. I wasn’t picking on you personally at all. I just wanted to point out that TCAS is standalone.

ADS-B based traffic solutions have a LOT of possible failure points.

Anyone seen any NOTAMs on ADS-B towers being out of service yet? They’ve got to be failing (lightning strikes at a minimum) and I’ve never seen any way to see if your flight will actually be covered by it.

It fails silently, which is the worst possible failure for a “safety” system. Proving via reverse engineering methodology that it’s really not designed to be one and damn sure shouldn’t be trusted.

Amen. You're one of the good Cirrus guys. A Cirrus Pilot. Like Briany.

The Cirrus "drivers" must drive you guys nuts. Probably as nuts as all the OWTs about Mooneys make me!

The only key takeaway for me from this presentation is that you went to F-burg and didn't tell me and thus cannot call yourself "my friend".
Next time you go to T82, lemme know and I'll meet you there. We've been looking for an excuse to overnight at the Hangar Hotel. And I know a few more people from the DFW area who would want to join in on the fun.
So no, I cannot call you "my friend", sir. I will still with "Br-Y-an", Br-Y-an.

You notice, he's all whipped-up to see BrYan in FBG.

Spike? Nah, not so much.

Come to think of it, he probably wants to see Eren. But who doesn't?

It is not TCAS. Period. Full stop.

TCAS is a very specific thing that utilizes Mode-S transponders ONLY (no UAT, no ADS-B) and has a number of features ADS-B does NOT have, including Resolution Advisories calculated by one or both aircraft, and continuous monitoring of the other aircraft’s flight path via accelerated updates directly sent between the two aircraft in conflict, that do not rely on any ground station being involved whatsoever.

If there’s a TCAS on board something you’re flying, you’d know about it, and it would be called such in the aircraft manual, along with describing exactly which TYPE/level of TCAS it is and any limitations the system has for RAs and the like.

Yeah so we called it "Bitching Betty". Ghesh I know I'm flying low for goodness sakes.

Back