POA slowness and Database errors

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
For the past few weeks this forum has been much slower than usual. Sometimes it shows splashes of normalcy, but often when I click a link there is a "waiting for PilotsofAmerica.com" message at the bottom as the cursor spins in circles.

Occasionally, it times out with this database error:
image.php
Database error The database has encountered a problem. Please try the following:
  • Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
  • Open the www.pilotsofamerica.com home page, then try to open another page.
  • Click the Back button to try another link.
The www.pilotsofamerica.com forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.
We apologise for any inconvenience.
This is not a complaint as I thoroughly enjoy this free forum provided at others expense. But I was wondering if there is a need to upgrade any of the hardware? If so, I would be willing to contribute to a fund for this purpose.
Thanks to the MC for all the work you do.

Same issue here. Yesterday I lost a post because of it, and it's happening again this morning. Something ain't right. :(

We know about it... working on a resolution. Standby for more details! It's not just you. ;-)

I think it's the cole slaw thread.
It's a lot for the server to process.

I haven't seen it actually get slow yet. Except for the text message reports that flood my phone when I'm sleeping :)

Will do some digging when I have some free time tonight but ultimately we're looking to move the website to a new solution in the very near future.

You should put it in the cloud.
It's a flying forum after all

I've not seen any slowness or database errors ... usually via Chrome on from 0700 MDT to 1600 MDT and randomly in the evenings via Tapatalk on iPhone.

I've not seen any slowness or database errors ... usually via Chrome on from 0700 MDT to 1600 MDT and randomly in the evenings via Tapatalk on iPhone.

The cool peeps on PoA don't get the error.

Unfortunately I'm not one of them.

I get it more regularly now as before a couple of weeks ago. Probably around a half a dozen down, or hung links a week.

People that cause traffic jams are not usually the same ones that get caught up in them.:D

The cool peeps on PoA don't get the error.

Unfortunately I'm not one of them.

usually the DBA does not get the errors, either ... "sorry you're having database errors, however, everything looks good on my end. Must be a user error!" :)

I saw the error this morning around 8am EST. Guess I'm not a cool kid anymore.

I lost one post this morning to a database error, and the board is intermittently VERY slow. Seems to happen mostly in the mornings.

I'm getting it in the mornings. Suggesting this is a BW or latency issue getting to the DB based on the span and timeframe. Meh - I'm network, not DBA. Too many tables to keep track of. MySQL? Have fun. Not complaining, just a commentary. ;)

re: xkcd above - :D

all one has to say is "Little Bobby Tables" to get a DBA to either grin or shake head

Tweaked some things, let me know if you see the database error again.

Troy joins MC, PoA slows down.

Just sayin' :D

I lost one post this morning to a database error, and the board is intermittently VERY slow. Seems to happen mostly in the mornings.

Yep. I figured it was a scheduled backup or stats run or some such thing.

Rich

This morning it was pretty bad. Now it seems fine.

A little sluggish this morning (intermittently), but not as bad as I've experienced the past few weeks.

Seems to be running fine now, and I've experienced no database errors since yesterday morning.

ok, joined the cool kids club this morning ... 8/15/2015 8:08am MDT using Chrome v 44.xxx took about 30 seconds to post a reply. No database errors, no other tabs/sites impacted while waiting for the post to return.

and then THIS post was normal speed ....

Yep. Saw it today.

Also still seeing it most mornings for a while in the 0800-1000 UTC time frame.

Back