POA Inside Jokes, Abbreviations, and Obscure References - a Guide for New Members

He got stuck with that moniker by Bruce, IIRC. I seem to recall that it was after he described how he flew a plane with known defective equipment from one airport (with service facilities) back to Addison. I also seem to recall that he also described how he would never fly a plane that didn't have GPS (so why bother with all that other stuff), and the he was uncomfortable flying from an airport - even in a 172 - that was less than something like 5000' runway.

HAving said that, he also showed significantly more maturity in later appearances on the board, and he did produce - as you note - an outstanding piece on leasbacks.

I think it was only 3000' but still... And I don't think he became "HWMNBN" until after he left at one point. Ya know... Candyman, Candyman, Candyman, Candyman...

He got stuck with that moniker by Bruce, IIRC. I seem to recall that it was after he described how he flew a plane with known defective equipment from one airport (with service facilities) back to Addison. I also seem to recall that he also described how he would never fly a plane that didn't have GPS (so why bother with all that other stuff), and the he was uncomfortable flying from an airport - even in a 172 - that was less than something like 5000' runway.

HAving said that, he also showed significantly more maturity in later appearances on the board, and he did produce - as you note - an outstanding piece on leasbacks.

Don't forget he was flying his 172 with failed electrical system at night, VFR, cross country to and from a strange airport, student solo, pre-PPL, with lowering clouds he couldn't see...but he was fine because his GPS worked great on batteries...

...and remember, it turned out he was legal - at least from the student pilot privileges standpoint - because he had the helicopter rating.

We've heard that as we expected, it took a long, long, long time, but he did realize he was dumber as he got older....like as he was told, the leaseback deal wasn't as rosey as he said it was.

And I don't think he was a millionaire. I would guess that was another area where he learned how much he didn't know.

Last edited:
IIRC, HWMNBN also lost a gas cap on that first flight, which resulted in significantly less fuel remaining than he expected, but I think his exit was shortly after he tried to lecture Dr. Bruce on some particular medical conditions ... on the other hand, CRS is alive and well, and I just could be all wet. :)

Who, Sparkles?:goofy::dunno:

Oops, I thought we were still on who had Hayden!:yes::D

I had forgotten about JH's moniker!

If you mean "Sparky", I received an e-mail from him around Christmas time. He's doing well. A promotion kinda ate into his Board time. Great guy, I miss his keen knowledge of scripture.

I swapped some e-mails with JH a couple of years back. JH grew up. (Don't we all - just wish our youngest would hurry up a little).

The Travelocity Travel Gnome is a glitzy Hollywood rip off of the real travel gnome - Hayden. :mad:

In the "old days" (like, 5 whole YEARS ago!), an AMU was defined by the cost of an hour of dual in a 172. Back then, it was $100. Now, not so much. :(

Then, there's the *other* AMU: The Aviation Maintenance Unit, which is in fact $1000. Somewhere along the line, someone confused 'em. I don't know how. :dunno: :goofy:

And, since this is a guide for the new folks... ATITAPA = "Any traffic in the area, please advise." To which our humble (hah!) EdFred *advises* you read the AIM, section 4-1-9(g)(1).

I have advised people to read the AIM in response to hearing the dreaded phrase.

Another thing is all the people that still have iSomething as their display name (upper left corner of posts). I can't remember exactly how it started, but it was after yet another Apple vs. the world argument. I think EdFred had something to do with it. Anyway, pretty much everyone had an iName for a while, and iStillDo. Some of them are/were pretty creative.

I did in fact start it after this thread:

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?p=183643

I found/made a turd silhouette and gave it the Apple colors, and came up with the moniker of iTurd or iCrap and went to bed. The next day I saw Nick went from SkyHog to iHog, and then everyone jumped on the bandwagon soon thereafter.

IIRC, HWMNBN also lost a gas cap on that first flight, which resulted in significantly less fuel remaining than he expected, but I think his exit was shortly after he tried to lecture Dr. Bruce on some particular medical conditions ... on the other hand, CRS is alive and well, and I just could be all wet. :)

That took some nerve. Something I would NEVER do. Bruce is the man! :yes:

Poadeleted accounts? Banned users or voluntary exhile?
If a person is banned they get that title under their name. You can see this in the firt post in this thread, http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6949

I understand, and I may be wrong, that sometimes the MC may suspend people form PoA. When that happens they get the tittle suspended.

The PoAdeleted user names came form when someone wants their user account deleted.

Someday, Scott shall have that honor once he admits defeat. :D

Someday, Scott shall have that honor once he admits defeat. :D
I will never admit de-feet, but I will admit to Happy Feet!

happy-feet-DVDcover.jpg

How do I get one of those little maps to fill out and add to my signature?

How do I get one of those little maps to fill out and add to my signature?
First, Welcome to the board!

Here ya go...

http://www.epgsoft.com/VisitedStatesMap/

When you create it, you have to save the image to your computer then upload it to your signature or put it on photobucket or other site then link to it.

If I recall, you must make a few posts, five or so, before you can upload a file. I'm not sure if that applies to a signature as this map would.

First, Welcome to the board!

Here ya go...

http://www.epgsoft.com/VisitedStatesMap/

When you create it, you have to save the image to your computer then upload it to your signature or put it on photobucket or other site then link to it.

If I recall, you must make a few posts, five or so, before you can upload a file. I'm not sure if that applies to a signature as this map would.
I second Ken's welcome!

And we've recently established that five posts are not required for the image in the signature!

On request of Kent...

About 18 months ago we had POA apparel available. The situation didn't go as planned despite a lot of hard work by some folks here. As a result, POA apparel is not available at this time.

Rosie O'donnell - source of great glee for one of our members, and lightning bolts from another

LOL Bill! Just for you and maybe some others. :)

Attachments

• Rosie.jpg
    Rosie.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 15
A Guide for New Members in SZ which we have intentionally made it difficult for new members to find? It's kind of like hiding the keys inside the car,then locking it.

A Guide for New Members in SZ which we have intentionally made it difficult for new members to find? It's kind of like hiding the keys inside the car,then locking it.
No I meant what would have caused this to go the SZ? Nothing I am seen in this thread is SZ related.

I think she ment that the lipstick on a pig comment is getting close to being political.

Bill was not getting political. It was a reference to the Rosie pic. Its a webboard guys, lighten up.

Bill was not getting political. It was a reference to the Rosie pic. Its a webboard guys, lighten up.

Well, I was just trying to clarify for Scott what Aunt Peggy might have been thinking...

And it's the gals not the guys... get it right or we might get all moody on your butt!

Missa

I think she ment that the lipstick on a pig comment is getting close to being political.
The entomology of that idiom is not political in origin. That is why I still say there has not been any political talk on this thread and why I am confused by Peggy's raising of her concern.

The entomology of that idiom is not political in origin. That is why I still say there has not been any political talk on this thread and why I am confused by Peggy's raising of her concern.

The phrase has recently been brought to the limelight during the 2008 U.S. election cycle. You may have missed it but if you use Google you will have no difficulty locating a youtube clip with the phrase being used.;)

Here is information regarding the origin of said phrase.

The phrase has recently been brought to the limelight during the 2008 U.S. election cycle. You may have missed it but if you use Google you will have no difficulty locating a youtube clip with the phrase being used.;)

Here is information regarding the origin of said phrase.
I am aware if the recent usage but the context it was presented in was not political in nature. Indeed the idiom was used properly, so I felt the criticism and admonishment were unwarranted.

Exactly. I have a quite dry sense of humor....

The best use of the phrase I recall was a commercial involving a brokerage firm where the boss-man came into a sweatshop phone bank and told the callers to "slap some lipstick on that pig" and get those securities sold. Sadly, it was prophetic to the financial situation today.....

I thought the photo of Rosie coupled with the lipstick remark was heading in a direction that could get out of hand.

I apologize for being super-sensitive.

Back