POA hats/shirts question for management.

gismo

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iGismo
Given the delay's in your apparel program, would you consider authorizing a limited quantity of Dean's product with a suitable "royalty" going to POA?

Lance,

Chuck will have to respond to the request. AFAIK, he has all the intellectual property rights related to the POA name.

bill

lancefisher said:
Given the delay's in your apparel program, would you consider authorizing a limited quantity of Dean's product with a suitable "royalty" going to POA?
At the present time, no. We have an agreement with a vendor, we simply haven't moved it forward as fast as we would like. To allow this would be breaking faith with that vendor.

Sorry if I made the POA management staff mad, that was not my intention. You really should ad the circled R showing that your logo is copy right protected. If it came down to a legal battle you may not like the outcome. I ran a shirt shop for several years and also know the law on printing copy righted material.

Funny thing about logos (much like music) is that slight changes are often all it takes to make it your own work....

Not making suggestions, but I wouldn't be too happy if someone sniped me with a legal threat.

Greebo said:
At the present time, no. We have an agreement with a vendor, we simply haven't moved it forward as fast as we would like. To allow this would be breaking faith with that vendor.

Well then, it looks like it's time to take the issue off the back burner and make up an order form for the website. If it is a major market vendor, they will make it for you and administer it. Even a smaller shop in Louisiana did it for me when I needed to order fleet wide uniforms once.

Henning said:
Well then, it looks like it's time to take the issue off the back burner and make up an order form for the website. If it is a major market vendor, they will make it for you and administer it. Even a smaller shop in Louisiana did it for me when I needed to order fleet wide uniforms once.
This has already been put back on the front burner, and no the vendor is actually an aviation related business.

Dean said:
Sorry if I made the POA management staff mad, that was not my intention. You really should ad the circled R showing that your logo is copy right protected. If it came down to a legal battle you may not like the outcome. I ran a shirt shop for several years and also know the law on printing copy righted material.
I'm sorry, is this intended to constitute a threat?

No threat, I have to much respect for the management staff. As fare as I'm concerned the issue is dead. I truely am sorry! If your vender does'nt work out, let me know, I would be happy to work with you on YOUR terms.

Greebo said:
I'm sorry, is this intended to constitute a threat?

No but I think this is his response to other threats implied towards him in a different thread after it was locked.

jangell said:
No but I think this is his response to other threats implied towards him in a different thread after it was locked.
Ok, I reviewed the post by Ron, and I don't think Ron intended it as a threat either. None of us see any reason for this to become a legal matter.

And Dean, if the other vendor falls through, we will certainly keep you in mind. :)

Good news is, all we want to do is order us up some shirts and hats and stuff, support our hobby and represent for our POA homies.

Last edited:
OK everyone collective DEEP BREATH. I don't see or read anyone threatening anyone. I read Ron's post and don't find it threating at all. I read Deans post and don't find that threatening. We are all on the same team here folks. Lets let Chuck do his thing with the vendor he worked with and take it from there. As he said if it falls through He knows Dean can help.

Greebo said:
Ok, I reviewed the post by Ron, and I don't think Ron intended it as a threat either.
Hmm, When I read Ron's post it sure seemed like a threat to me. Hence my friendly PM to the both of you about actions PoA needs to take to have the law on their side if you were truly going to make this a legal issue.

Greebo said:
Any update Chuck?

You might want to consider moving on it so that we can get our holiday orders in :)

Greebo said:
This has already been put back on the front burner, and no the vendor is actually an aviation related business.

Chuck it has been on the burner now for more than a month. Is the burner set just on slow simmer?? :rolleyes:;)

Seriously any update??

I always thought Microsoft's software releases were the longest unit of time. I always compare things to their releases. It appears that there is now a larger unit of time. The Pilots of America apparel program. I'll call it a unit of POAT (POA TIME). Pronounced POATE

Last edited:
jangell said:
I always thought Microsoft's software releases were the longest unit of time. I always compare things to their releases. It appears that there is now a larger unit of time. The Pilots of America apparel program. I'll call it a unit of POAT (POA TIME). Pronounced POATE

Haha - looking at the first posts about this, and the first responses by management, it would appear that 1 POAT = almost 2 years.

Wow.

Funny you should mention it I am working on the license issues right now patients grasshopper.

AdamZ said:
Funny you should mention it I am working on the license issues right now patients grasshopper.

Last edited:
Why not use Cafe press and not have to worry about inventory etc. Just send them the logo and choose what you want it (mugs, hats, shirts, etc.) a print on demand kinda thing.

www.cafepress.com

Because the reports we have on CafePress's quality suggest that they're not up to what we'd like to see. From everything I've heard, things like shirts don't stand up to many washings at all.

Ahh thanks Chucks, I know nothing about them just kinda like the "on demand" aspect of them

Because the reports we have on CafePress's quality suggest that they're not up to what we'd like to see. From everything I've heard, things like shirts don't stand up to many washings at all.

The quality of our your current source is much better. I have seen no fading of any of the apparel, so for it looks just as did a year ago. ;)

I do too, and if we could get a quality vendor with a zero footprint for us, that would be great.

Unfortunately, my schedule when we had one possibly lined up got in the way and I wasn't able to respond quickly and I guess he lost interest.

If anyone has any contrary experience with CP, we're listening, however! :)

I just ordered a shirt from Cafe Press with my logo. I've only worn it once, but it seems fine to me.

CP might be a good place for things like Mugs, and Oval bumper stickers, Scratch pads, calanders - those kind of things Chuck?

Some bad feedback on Cafepress, but heresay, not first hand.

I sent you the info for a vendor I use for different items, did you talk to her?

Guys, for whatever it is worth, I contacted a friend of mine who has used CafePress for a very long time for sales of branded merchandise for his long-standing website, www.winnipesaukee.com (the first website I ever saw that appeared to actually make money). He is very satisfied with CafePress, and here are his comments:

Don Zimmer of Winnepesaukee.com said:
I think Cafe Press is great and their quality is excellent. Last year they started using a new process that is embedded into the fabric and doesn't fade. I'm not sure what your group's objections could be with the quality. They use name brand shirts and have a great process. Maybe the image they were reproducing was part of the problem.
Don Zimmer of Winnepesaukee.com said:
The base prices are kind of high and I only mark them up a few dollars. I don't make much on it but the customers get great products. Here's my store: http://www.cafepress.com/winni. The thong creates lots of laughs on my forum and I've actually sold over 20 of them!

Well maybe I'll have to take another look at them.

eh...I'm sick of waiting--just do it.

Jesse, you are so subtle.

But you are right.

Get some good, clean artwork out and "git 'er done."

eh...I'm sick of waiting--just do it.
Exactly. CP has zero obligation. Upload some artwork and hang out a shingle. If feedback is bad, stop selling and find someone else. It's quite painless. You have nothing to lose.

At this point, I think the excitement is near gone for apparal from PoA. I still love the site and everything, and 2+ years ago, I'd have jumped at the opportunity....especially right after Gastons.

But now, it just seems like it is more hassle than it is worth to try to get a simple t-shirt or hat. Who knows, I might go for it if it popped up as available, but I'm still a bit hurt that you had a member practically throwing himself at the site, almost screaming "Pick me, pick me!" and there was no action taken to take him up on what would have likely been a good deal for all.

Not just complaining for the sake of complaining, but the first shirt thread appeared sometime in like March of 2005 if I'm not mistaken. Its been a long time.

I can see your point Nick, but think about it as helping PoA.

That's how I look at it. A mug here, a shirt there all helps the cause.

Back