POA Frequency

Recommendation for a radio?

I personally prefer the Yaesu FT-60. Small, lightweight, decent power, and crystal audio. If you have fiberglass wingtips you can hang a 19" spike made out of brazing rod into a bnc(m) connector with a bnc(f) connector on the last aluminum rib for a ground plane.

Jim

Last edited:
I personally prefer the Yaesu FT-60. Small, lightweight, decent power, and crystal audio. If you have fiberglass wingtips you can hang a 19' spike made out of brazing rod into a bnc(m) connector with a bnc(f) connector on the last aluminum rib for a ground plane.

I saw that radio when I was searching earlier. Thanks for confirming it to be a good choice.

I don't understand the comment about the 19 foot rod though. How would you install that? Why is it important that the tip be fiberglass?

I saw that radio when I was searching earlier. Thanks for confirming it to be a good choice.

I don't understand the comment about the 19 foot rod though. How would you install that? Why is it important that the tip be fiberglass?

Oopsie. How about 19" rod. That's a quarter-wave at 146 MHz. The tip needs to be transparent to radio waves (fiberglass) to allow you to install the rod inside of the wingtip onto a metal rib. Sorry, I should have taken more time to explain.

Jim

Yeah, I thought that might have been the mistake. Makes more sense now. :)

Around here, if you're listening to 122.75, you're going to hear a lot of training folks de-conflicting in the practice areas. See bottom left and right corners of this chart snippet...

Probably not wise to chit-chat for long periods of time on it.

Screen Shot 2016-11-04 at 16.48.48.png

Yeah, like using cell phones in flight....such a horrible idea...

Let's get real. Incorrectly using 123.45 is about on the same level as someone making a phone call from a GA airplane.

A colleague, who does EMC for the FAA, told me about a specific example of a cell phone that interfered with GPS receivers. Every example of that model tested. I was very surprised when the use of cell phones in aircraft was liberalized by the FAA.

If you want to chit-chat, get an amateur radio license...it's relatively easy to get these days, and you can chit-chat all day on nearly an unlimited number of frequencies. I do it often while flying, actually.
When you're on the air while in the air, your VHF/UHF range is expanded greatly. I've talked hundreds of miles with just a small radio sitting on the passenger seat.

Now what I'd be interested in, is a POA 2 meter frequency!

.52 simplex. :smilewinkgrin:

Jim

Bingo. 146.52 MHz would work fine for me.

N6TPT

Back