POA Etiquette Observations

Steve Job

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Steve Job
As a daily reader, but only occasional poster on this message board, I really hate it when I see threads devolve into juvenile name calling. Please don't question your fellow pilot's reading comprehension levels! We pilots are a very small minority of the population, and we need to stick together! I know the moderators have plenty to do already, but sometimes I feel the threshold of eligibility for "the spin zone" ought to include acting like a junior high student.

As a daily reader, but only occasional poster on this message board, I really hate it when I see threads devolve into juvenile name calling. Please don't question your fellow pilot's reading comprehension levels! We pilots are a very small minority of the population, and we need to stick together! I know the moderators have plenty to do already, but sometimes I feel the threshold of eligibility for "the spin zone" ought to include acting like a junior high student.

The SZ is optional. :dunno:

One of the more rewarding things to do on the internet is to tell people how/how not to converse with each other. It's always heart warming to watch the internet have a change of heart and start behaving like what you personally deem as acceptable and adequate behavior.

One of the more rewarding things to do on the internet is to tell people how/how not to converse with each other. It's always heart warming to watch the internet have a change of heart and start behaving like what you personally deem as acceptable and adequate behavior.

You mean like this?

http://xkcd.com/386/

You're right! I will now bask in the satisfaction that I've changed the world! :)

You're right! I will now bask in the satisfaction that I've changed the world! :)

I'm right? :dunno: Someone should tell my wife, she'll never believe me.

Watching people call each other doo doo head is entertainment for me.... don't mess it up.

Actually, the one thing I find somewhat "frustrating" about pilot message boards is that people can't speak freely about tossing their buddy a set of keys to the plane to go pick up some hamburgers without 999,937,322 people pointing out that they broke some sort of obscure regulation that nobody gives a **** about.

Actually, the one thing I find somewhat "frustrating" about pilot message boards is that people can't speak freely about tossing their buddy a set of keys to the plane to go pick up some hamburgers without 999,937,322 people pointing out that they broke some sort of obscure regulation that nobody gives a **** about.

There are those who bask in the mental masturbation of attempting to decipher regulations and self promotion to maven status.

It will never change. Thread ignore is your friend.

I'm right? :dunno: Someone should tell my wife, she'll never believe me.

Watching people call each other doo doo head is entertainment for me.... don't mess it up.

If you think this board is raucous, wait until you attend the annual Gaston's event!

You must be new to the internet...

, but sometimes I feel the threshold of eligibility for "the spin zone" ought to include acting like a junior high student.

So basically, you don't want any content in the main message board I take it?

I feel the threshold of eligibility for "the spin zone" ought to include acting like a junior high student.
And what's wrong with acting like a junior high school student. Some of my fondest memories are from then.:D

Golly gee the internet isn't working the way someone wants it to....

As a daily reader, but only occasional poster on this message board, I really hate it when I see threads devolve into juvenile name calling.

Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries.

As a long-time veteran of internet piloting groups, going back to the old rec.aviation usenet days, I can tell you that there are two truisms that NEVER change:

1. The worst offenders are invariably the loudest to protest.
2. The loudest protesters seldom have anything to contribute, aviation-wise.

Once you accept this, your time here is better spent. Wrestling with trolls only encourages them. I confess to falling into their trap, on occasion, and going tit for tat -- but I promise to never fire the first shot. :D

PofA is pretty tame, compared to the unmoderated rec.aviation days. But it pays to have a thick skin, if you dare to post.

Sorry folks, didn't mean to come across as so naive. It really was a silly post. Now if I can just get everyone to sign this petition against violence in the streets, and wear a plaid ribbon denoting how much we care, we could change the world. :)

Nanny nanny boo boo, stick your head in doo doo.

(From tosh.0)

Sorry folks, didn't mean to come across as so naive. It really was a silly post. Now if I can just get everyone to sign this petition against violence in the streets, and wear a plaid ribbon denoting how much we care, we could change the world. :)
No need to apologize for submitting a polite reminder that civility is proper even in the anonymous environment of an internet forum.
I too have noticed some on here, as on other forums, lack civility. I wonder if some of these folks act in this same manner when face to face. Astonishing really.

Last edited:
No need to apologize for submitting a polite reminder that civility is proper even in the anonymous environment of an internet forum.
I too have noticed some on here, as on other forums, lack civility. I wonder if some of these folks act in this same manner when face to face. Astonishing really.

Speaking as someone who actually gets to meet a high(er) percentage of POA posters "in the flesh", I can attest to the fact that even the most abrasive personalities here are a delight in-person.

The written word is harsh. The spoken word is far more nuanced.

You liked The Platters too?
My first record (45) was by the "Teddy Bears" staring a 19 year old Phil Specter. Slightly later than the Platters' debut but not by more than a few years.

Steve, I really enjoyed meeting you at Oshkosh. :) I still have that picture of you and your airplane on my phone. I can sent it to you if you want. How did that bike work for you?

As a long-time veteran of internet piloting groups, going back to the old rec.aviation usenet days . . .

Is that all you got, you young punk?

'Twas a proud offline AVSIG reader, downloading with a 28.8k modem, Beeyatch!

OBTW, Muskrat Love in Jr. High, for those playing at home. :yikes:

Steve, I really enjoyed meeting you at Oshkosh. :) I still have that picture of you and your airplane on my phone. I can sent it to you if you want. How did that bike work for you?

I enjoyed meeting you too, Diana! And Happy Birthday! Believe it or not, your bike got stolen later that same day. I had left it parked up by the restrooms near the gate where my plane partner picked me in his car to go out for dinner. When we came back, it was gone. I guess that sexy pink color was just too alluring to resist :)

I appreciate you taking the pic, and I will send you a PM with my email address. Thanks again!

I feel the threshold of eligibility for "the spin zone" ought to include acting like a junior high student.

I thought that was a requirement.

I also think it could use a moderator, but I'm not opposed to having a locked room like the SZ where free-for-alls can take place and not spill out into the general forums.

Believe it or not, your bike got stolen later that same day. I had left it parked up by the restrooms near the gate where my plane partner picked me in his car to go out for dinner. When we came back, it was gone.

Well, poop. :( You would expect/hope that people at Oshkosh wouldn't steal things. Although, I always bring a small lock and chain with me to lock my Goodwill bike, just in case.

I guess that sexy pink color was just too alluring to resist :)

:D

It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, randomly typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually replicate the works of Shakespeare.
With the advent of Internet message boards, we now know this is not the case.

As a daily reader, but only occasional poster on this message board, I really hate it when I see threads devolve into juvenile name calling.

You have already taken the first big step toward both civility and credibility, by posting with your real name. People who are afraid of admitting who they are, typically don't have much to add.

You have already taken the first big step toward both civility and credibility, by posting with your real name. People who are afraid of admitting who they are, typically don't have much to add.

+1 billion. :D

Back