POA Aviation Media Forum Sucks

If you mean it sucks to put anything with a video in one forum, I’m with you.

Duh
What’s the POA media forum?

Duh
Exactly! It's a sub-forum where the moderators have decided to move my posts. They go there to die. My likes and comments drop significantly when they move a thread there. It's really not even worth posting on POA anymore.

Now on a funny note... they moved this thread too! You would think moderators would keep people from posting vulgar, political, religious topics... etc, but no, they spend their time making sure we put our posts in the proper category!

I agree, I think whoever is relegating any post with a linked video there needs to read the description of the forum. The intent of the sub-forum was to put self-promoting youtube stars into a forum where the small percentage of triggered people could easily avoid it, you know rather than having to click a post in another forum and take the extra 3 seconds to hit the back button.

Now it seems any post with a video linked is taken out of the appropriate forum and sent there. Just a reminder of the forum description to whoever is doing this: (emphasis mine)

"Here is the place for you to share your self-created aviation content. You may share content of others, as long as you receive their permission, or give credit to them in the posting. Links to YouTube and other multimedia outlets are permitted here."

Exactly! It's a sub-forum where the moderators have decided to move my posts. They go there to die. My likes and comments drop significantly when they move a thread there. It's really not even worth posting on POA anymore.

Now on a funny note... they moved this thread too! You would think moderators would keep people from posting vulgar, political, religious topics... etc, but no, they spend their time making sure we put our posts in the proper category!
Yeah, it seemed like a good idea at the time, because honestly the clickbait videos were genuinely annoying, but I guess the consequences haven't been really great.

Thanks for the feedback, I think it would be beneficial for the MC to revisit the purpose of the Aviation Media forum and what should and shouldn’t get grouped into it.

I agree, I think whoever is relegating any post with a linked video there needs to read the description of the forum.

Media is more than just video though. And Jack’s work is self-created.

In my opinion, the original idea for the media forum was to give media a place to die. In fact, that was one of the benefits championed by promoters of the concept.

The media sub-forum is nothing but proof NIMBYism exists here, too.

Media is more than just video though. And Jack’s work is self-created.

In my opinion, the original idea for the media forum was to give media a place to die. In fact, that was one of the benefits championed by promoters of the concept.

The media sub-forum is nothing but proof NIMBYism exists here, too.

Excellent point, I love Jack's stuff.

“Tell me you don’t want videos posted here without saying you don’t want videos posted here”. :D

I don't get it...

I went to that forum and all I saw was a link to some fart videos and a Rickroll.

Where are Jack's posts?

maybe it's not the subforum that sucks, but the media content itself? hiyoooooooooooo

upload_2023-5-3_10-30-36.png

I, for one, support it.

It’s a place for the Internet-content folks to dump their links, allowing the main forum to be a place where discussion is encouraged or expected.

And that's part of the problem, even among creators posting here there is a divide between active participants and those just doing a drive by. Thee new model dumps even those that are active here and discuss things into a graveyard. I strongly vote to return to the old model. It had flaws, but was way less broken than the new one.

I have no idea why Jack's photography would be in that forum.

I'm one of the triggered snowflakes who was in favor of having a single place to ignore the "like and subscribe" trash videos. the forum has been effective for that. I haven't been "influenced" in months on here.

I do understand the thought behind that category.... absolutely don't agree with it, but I get it....

but yeah, I don't get why your posts would be pushed there. Makes no sense

regardless. I'm one of those that views the forum by unread messages only.
Generally I have zero idea where any thread is located within POA...and absolutely do not care.
and if I'm searching a topic, the categories do basically nothing for me either. I might have used them once or twice but I'm honestly not sure about that....mostly I just search the entire web site by keyword

the sub forum categories just serve ONLY JUST ONE purpose for me...and that's to make it difficult when I want to start a new thread, trying to figure out the most logical place to put it. Absolutely far too many choices.

I love that the go rid of the videos.

Ignoring content you're not interested in is hard. :rolleyes:
Which is why I'd be for allowing the media to be wherever, but requiring a poster to tell us in the thread title that it's a promotion or a video. For example, if I saw that @Lowflynjack posted a video, I would likely click anyway, but if certain other members posted it, I would never ever click. Sorta like some forums saying you have to include the price and location in your title in the classifieds. I use the "new posts" feature quite regularly and some people are just good at getting you to click on a thread title that ends up being a huge waste of a click...

to the admin folks. Why on earth would his photo posts be moved over to some video sub folder? Wasn't the whole idea that some folks didn't want to be bothered by other folks seemingly pimping their monetized youtube channels for mo' money?
I get that it's indirectly publicizing his business...but it's not like it's click bait, doesn't have adds, no unintentional misdirects with teaser titles, no link to some subscription based on member only thing... just here's some photos of a cool plane, thought I'd share with you folks that ALL like airplanes.

As best as I can tell he just posting some nice photos of some cool airplanes.... and I double dog dare ya...name ONE member of this forum that doesn't like looking at airplanes.... just one. Betcha can't.

Ignoring content you're not interested in is hard. :rolleyes:
Yes, it was, before that forum was created. Because "content creators" thought it was fun to create threads with missing titles containing nothing but videos. Now that they're all in one forum, I can ignore it all and those misleading thread titles don't show up when sorting by "recent" or "new."

If you never want to discuss any video then I guess you’ll be happy with this.

it makes no sense to me that if I put a video in my post to further the conversation it gets hidden away. Like when I posted a question about my autopilot and included a video showing what was happening…..

I posted a video of a neat glider tow recently. I don’t do yT. But that’s the only way you can post a vid here.
I thought it was interesting enough to post. I don’t rely on yT clicks.

Made me feel dirty that my video got moved

if we could post a fun vid without requiring to to be through yT would better glean out the clickbait ones vs the ones that are just posted due to more true aviation interest

If you never want to discuss any video then I guess you’ll be happy with this.

it makes no sense to me that if I put a video in my post to further the conversation it gets hidden away. Like when I posted a question about my autopilot and included a video showing what was happening…..
How is that forum more hidden than anything else here? If the wrong things are getting put there, that's a different problem.

How is that forum more hidden than anything else here? If the wrong things are getting put there, that's a different problem.
If you put a link to any YouTube video in the initial post - even if it's a video you created expressly to post here to discuss (like my autopilot issue), the thread will be moved to that forum.

Do posts in the Aviation Media forum show up on the New Posts page?

Perhaps a better solution would be to have people who are media-heavy posters to have 1 master thread they post their stuff on (in one of the main categories like FlightFollowing or Hangar Talk). Rather than spinning up a thread for every photo/podcast/homemade video/etc. That's the way we do DailyPic on FlightFollowing board and it seems to be one of the most trafficked and enjoyed threads on the site. It'd probably be a nightmare if everyone created their own thread for 1-2 pics.

But I think moving anything to media with a reference to YouTube/etc is kind of silly. It's a neglected portion of the site that's off the beaten path. And frankly, sometimes a video/picture is worth 1000 words in describing something, especially when troubleshooting.

Duh

I don't know if this was a serious inquiry from J0hnH, but mine is...I don't see this in the forum list. How do I get to it?

Excellent question, Palmpilot...if the posts show up in New Posts, I don't see an issue where a post is located. I don't usually even log in to check content here...just check Recent Posts unless something strikes me.

Jack, as your complaint opened the topic for discussion...and as beautiful as your pics are...I've wondered for years why you've been allowed to post what are essentially ads for your commercial photography business. No offense intended..and only a rhetorical question.

Jim

Back