POA Apparel

Will you pay $45 for a quality POA polo shirt?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I take offense to that remark, you and I have not met, and probably never will,(hopefully) does that mean I dont matter to "your " community? I have the opinion that EVERYONE that participates on this board matters, Even you Jesse.

I suspect that comment was made in haste, as there are quite a few people here that matter that have not met Jesse yet (Most of the New England folk and Pacific NWers for one).

And he could have meant "matters to me (him)." Hard to say, you shouldn't take offense though, I know Jesse well enough to say he doesn't go around offending people for fun.

I take offense to that remark, you and I have not met, and probably never will,(hopefully) does that mean I dont matter to "your " community? I have the opinion that EVERYONE that participates on this board matters, Even you Jesse.

I did not mean it like that. I've had a very rough last couple of days and have been in the process of writing a corrective action report. I more or less meant that I've met a large number of the people on this forum.

I did not mean to offend you and if I did I really do apologize. I didn't really read what I wrote to think about how people many interrupt it.

Everyone on this board matters, except Jesse. He's strictly surplus, all goofy.

Plus, he smells funny.

You sure its not just you spike? I dunno about some of you guys... ;)

You sure its not just you spike? I dunno about some of you guys... ;)

OK, OK, besides Jesse, Ed Frederick is also irrelevant. Means nothing, nothing at all. He's just a silly fellow.

If Ed had a custom shirt, it would be white with a black barcode.

Why? Are you trying to buy Ed now? Poor guy, at least let him have a say in it!

Jesse doesn't smell bad at all. Maybe you just like the old man smell instead. Hehe j/k!

Are you threatening me?

I am Cornholio!

HAHA

shut up beavis! *smack* ...before we put you in charge of the POA shirts! lol

This is a group--we all put towards it. I don't see anything wrong with asking people what they are willing to pay. I doubt they do either. I never said I was going to sell to anyone unless I established an agreement with the management council.
No, but you made a public issue of it before discussing it with the MC. I consider that inappropriate.

It is for some of us. SOME of us actually fly and plan events. Some of us go to events. We do all of this in the name of Pilots of America. This group that we think so highly of. But yet if we make a shirt we get threatended.
How have you been threatened?

I think that is very uncalled for. This is not a business and this never will be a business. This community was built with the idea being this will be a community. If you don't care about the shirts I think you need to either find somone that does care and let us do it. It has been two years. The fact that you say that you don't care but yet say we can't do it is nothing but offensive.
I have already told you, Adam is researching it *NOW*. He has, recently, in response in fact to the last string of threads, picked up the ball because I do not have the time or motivation to follow through on this, as I have already said.

It has been handeled the wrong way. It has been a big headache. It's been one for those of us that care. For those that don't care--I guess it doesn't matter. We don't want you to worry about it which is why we want to do it.
Yes, I already said I dropped the ball. I also said that the last vendor with whom we were discussing the idea did not answer all of our questions to my satisfaction. Do not make the mistake of assuming that because we do not tell you everything we are discussing, that we are not discussing it.

It's not even that. This site is a community that we all built. This is a community we will all leave just as fast. You are asking for an established vendor with a proven track record to just give you money. That isn't going to happen.
The existance of Cafepress reveals your error in that regard.

I would think I am respected enough in the POA community to make a few shirts. I've had at least 18 people now tell me they would buy it from me. This was with significant money going into your pocket. The members of this forum are big boys. They do not need you to protect them from a simple purchase of a polo shirt from a friend.
Jesse, this isn't just about protecting the buyers. If we agree to let you sell a product through our site and you fall through, for whatever reason, we have to protect ourselves as well. You are not seeing the whole issue, and yet you continue to speak as if it is only your perspective that is real. Every member of the MC has something to lose in the operation of this site, me most of all. YOU DON'T. Its easy to talk in your situation. I prefer to err on the side of caution.

Chuck, we are talking polo shirts. If some day I crash into the side of mountain no one is going to cry that they can't buy the same shirt anymore. These are shirts. These are not million dollar computer systems that must have a 24x7 support contract for the next 37 years. These are shirts, sold to friends, Are you being serious with that statement?
And if you take their money and vanish? Or if your shirts arrive damaged or are of crappy quality? Don't mistake me - I think your intent is sincere, and I don't question your integrity, but it would also be the height of foolishness to enter into a long term business relationship on faith in someone with whom we have never even had a face to face discussion.

We all know each other. We are talking the sale of a few polo shirts. You are really over reacting.
No, I do not know you, and you are talking about taking something that is directly tied to my name, my assets, and my estate, and engaging in business transactions, and you started doing so WITHOUT discussing it with me or the MC before hand. I say again, YOU HAVE NO CARDS ON THE TABLE HERE. You talk about the community, but your net investment in the community, where the rubber meets the road is what, $12.00 according to my paypal records. When you've put as much time, money, blood, sweat and tears into this site as I have, THEN you can deign to lecture me about overreacting.

You think I'm going to sell a few shirts and not pay you the comission for them? Seriously--I offered you guys quite a deal. You were going to get $10 per shirt in profit TOWARDS PILOTS OF AMERICA.
Frankly beside the point.
I've posted here for years. I've met almost everyone here that matters. I've helped people with numerous problems. I came up with a plan to get people polo shirts right now (not two years from now) and give POA some money. You need a member willing to put some time towards it, you do not need a damn vendor. We are talking a few polo shirts for a small community.
You know what, Jesse, you may be right that a member is the way to go with it, but that isn't your decision. That's the decision of the Management Council, and you have gone about presenting this idea in completely the wrong way.

I did not make this a public issue, I made this something that the members of this community could look at. Do not make more of this then it is.

The POA management council wasted two years on this. I come up with a pretty sweet deal for everyone. I checked to see if people were willing to buy them and I wrote you saying I'd give POA $10 per polo shirt.

How dare I try to expand the community by getting some friends a few polo shirts. How dare I try to give money to POA. How dare I put my time into this place.
Once again, I appreciate the enthusiasm and respect your desire, but if you can not understand that there are bigger issues that need to be addressed on this end before agreeing to enter into business transactions, then you aren't the right person for us to work with, in my opinion.

FWIW, I am confident (and this belief is backed-up by actual, face-to-face contact and legitimate business dealings) that if Jesse makes a commitment, Jesse honors the commitment, period, full-stop.

What that means is, if Jesse told me he would sell me a shirt for $45.00, and that the profit from the shirt would be donated to POA to help defray expenses, I would consider that as sure as FedEx, done deal.

In fact, I don't even think the Big J is looking to have a link or a "storefront," per se.

It can be complicated, or it can be simple- you can't get more "0 Footprint" than "I'll handle it all for you."
Spike you are correct, that would be an ideal arrangement. As I said before, Adam is now taking over this item and looking into our options.

Well, all this seems much ado about nothing. Including Jesse's post immediately above mine.

You already sell large avatars and email addresses on the domain name. You solicit donations for operating expenses. You have a Paypal account that you are using. Go to the mall and get some t-shirts printed. Get some golf shirts embroidered. Mail them out as you are able. Tell folks to be patient. In my experience a few folks will be busy for a week then the demand will fall to next to nil. If you think it will be any more than that then we are all kidding ourselves about the popularity of this site. Sounds like Jesse is volunteering to handle it. Case solved.
Alaska it may very well be, but again, this isn't the issue. My first reply gave Jesse the name he needs to make his presentation to. My second one never said it couldn't be done, it expressed serious concerns that I have about engaging in business transactions involving material goods .
Where have we heard this before. All talk and NO action is not what the people of this board want. If PoA is not interested in being a store front then so be it. But your refusing to let anyone else make the shirts shows that you actually do want to be some sort of store front.
Well, Scott, I understand your frustration. I've already said it and I'll say it again. *I* *DROPPED* *THE* *BALL*. I don't deny it, and I never have. Sadly, I have a real world career to deal with. In that job, I've gone through not one but two corporate mergers that have consumed the last 7 months of my life because I've been the sole IT developer for this client for a section of the business who's volume has quadrupled as a result of those buyouts. My life has been a little busy, really since Jan of 06, and I know that I've let things go here that I shouldn't have.

But don't mistake my personal disinterest in merchandising with total disintrest. Once again, Adam has decided to take on the reigns of this idea, because I can't. This is a recent undertaking of his, and I'm not sure where he is with it right now. The MC *IS* interested in finally getting this done. My sole interest is that *IF* we do it, that we do it in such a way that doesn't put my personal interests in jeapordy. I would be a damn fool to blow it off and say, "Its a few shirts" when its my name on every dotted line associated with this place, now, wouldn't I?

Save your breath guys, they don't care. They didn't care care 2 years ago, they don't care now.

Its a control issue now.
I'm sorry you feel that way, Nick. I'd try to convince you otherwise, but you've clearly made up your mind.

You know, this entire thread disappoints me. I honestly believe that everyone here has the best of intentions. Unfortunately, there's a lot of frustration on all sides, and it's become personal. Please stop personal bickering before I have to report this thread to the management council! :)

Seriously. Please? I just want everybody to get along! :)

(Please note, this is NOT directed at either side of the discussion, either solely or in the majority!)

jesse contributions far exceed 12 dollars on your paypal account chuck. some of us make significant contributions to this community without paying anything. There's more to it than money.

This entire board is MUCH more than the contributions of all those who make it possible. That include, but CERTAINLY is not limited to:
- the management council, who work so hard to make sure that it doesn't turn into another Red board
- those who provide equipment, hosting, and the infrastructure
- those who make financial contributions
-those who spend hours upon hours tweaking the interface and features to meet the users requests
- and perhaps most importantly, those who actually POST, providing the actual raison d'etre for the site and for our spending time here.

In keeping with that, I'd like to offer a big THANK YOU to Greebo, Jesse, (alphabetical order :)) and all the others who make this board what it is.

jesse contributions far exceed 12 dollars on your paypal account chuck. some of us make significant contributions to this community without paying anything. There's more to it than money.
Tony I know that, but when it comes to risk and liability if something goes wrong, nobody has more to lose than I do.

Thats something I'm trying to work with the rest of the MC on now, in fact. Ultimately I want PoA to get *out* of my name and become its own entity.

Tony I know that, but when it comes to risk and liability if something goes wrong, nobody has more to lose than I do.

Thats something I'm trying to work with the rest of the MC on now, in fact. Ultimately I want PoA to get *out* of my name and become its own entity.
Ouch, I would have thought you'd created at least an LLC for this gizmo board. I hope ya get it done soon for your sake. This society is too dang litigious!

The way those dang lawyers work it now, we could organize a gathering where someone ends up getting hurt and you become a party to the suit. Please protect yourself soon before I find such an opportunity to work out for myself. Wait, you don't have the pockets! Drats! :goofy:

I think that posting the amount of Jesse's paypal donations was precisely where the line was crossed. He gave what he had at the time with the best of intentions and you posted it as if it were insignificant. Bad call...

Chuck, 'twixt Adam and me, I bet we can help you and the MC find a best way to do just that.

This board is a fine educational resource for pilot and aviation safety, and I believe it should easily qualify as a non-profit entity.

No, I do not know you, ...

I mean no offense, but if you were to actually go to any number of the events that the members of this board have organized, there's a fair chance you would have met him. Frankly, you run this place like it is your site, but you have nothing to do with the real community aspect of the place. When PoA first started, it was obvious you had something special on your hands, as this was not just a "AOPA Fill In" as it was originally intended. The people here bonded and formed together. We are free to talk about whatever we want to talk about, and that includes meeting to discuss these topics in person.

Now I don't know what is keeping you from going to the flyins or participating in the "real" PoA, but whatever it is, and frankly, its none of my business, but its making you miss the big picture here. The reason people wants shirts (IMHO) isn't to help you support the site so much as to show off that they are a part of a great group of people. Helping the site is an added (huge) benefit.

By denying two generous offers now so that you maintain control over some business aspect or some fear of lawsuit (this is the internet, btw, despite what Ron Levy may think), you are doing a huge disservice to the members of the board and to the community as a whole.

I'm sorry you feel that way, Nick. I'd try to convince you otherwise, but you've clearly made up your mind.

Thats a cop out. You can't convince me, or anyone else who sees it that way otherwise because its obvious, and it has been since you turned down Dean's offer, IMHO.

Edit: By cop out, I don't mean I expect you to go tit for tat with me, but to just dismiss me or blow me off for pointing out the frustration that is seen here is just not right. I can see that's how you deal with someone you disagree with.

Last edited:
The reason people wants shirts (IMHO) isn't to help you support the site so much as to show off that they are a part of a great group of people. Helping the site is an added (huge) benefit.
Exactly.

This reminds me of my fraternity.

On one extreme, there were the "doers." These guys were eager to do stuff and always wanted to just do it without thinking about it first.

On the opposite extreme, the "naysayers." No matter what the idea, they'd come up with reasons why it wouldn't work.

In the middle? Me, with a gavel. And the vast majority of the guys.

As with most things, the best path was not at either extreme, but somewhere in the middle. I found that generally the most productive path was to find the flaws in what the doers wanted, come up with the best plan we could, and then let the doers loose while keeping an eye on them.

If you listen to the naysayers, nothing gets done. If you follow the doers, they'll find all the flaws the hard way. What you do NOT want to do is to quash the doers. They will work hard for you, and do great things with the proper guidance.

One of my favorite President Me quotes: "Placing blame is counterproductive, and none of us is blameless. Anyone who wishes to point a finger should first point it at themselves." Also, "By wasting our efforts fighting, we go nowhere. Let's find a common direction and work together so we can get somewhere." (Yes, I actually said such profound things in college.)

With that in mind... Jesse and Chuck, you BOTH need to stop bickering, and start discussing. Chuck, tell Jesse exactly what you want in a merchandising program. Jesse, put together something that will fit with what Chuck wants.

At the very least, maybe Adam can give us a progress report and a timeline for reaching the goal?

I did not mean it like that. I've had a very rough last couple of days and have been in the process of writing a corrective action report. I more or less meant that I've met a large number of the people on this forum.

I did not mean to offend you and if I did I really do apologize. I didn't really read what I wrote to think about how people many interrupt it.

If that is the case, I rescind my objections.
Bravo Zulu

I don't know, Skip. We could be at odds with each other. That avatar probably means you were a submariner whereas I worked on Vikings, otherwise known as sub killers. :D

:goofy:

False sense of security. The "Hoover's" were pretty good at locating Russian Subs and the like. Hell, they(the subs) were so noisy we could follow them from 15 miles using PASSIVE sonar.(and did) We were so quiet and capable of going DEEP, no way you could detect a US Nuclear Fast Attack Sub, aka "hunter, killer of the deep"unless they allowed you to. (this was in the late 70's and early 80's, the US attack subs now are even more stealthy.)
We did have fun playing games with them and the carrier group in the Pacific. We scored many "kills" and were NEVER detected even with the sonobuoys dropped directly over head.
We are not at odds, If you were in the Navy, we are shipmates, that to me, means ALOT!!!

I think that posting the amount of Jesse's paypal donations was precisely where the line was crossed. He gave what he had at the time with the best of intentions and you posted it as if it were insignificant. Bad call...
You know what. You are right. Jesse, that was out of line and I apologize.

To be quite honest it was an emotional reaction to the feeling that my own investment in this site was being trivialized.

I mean no offense, but if you were to actually go to any number of the events that the members of this board have organized, there's a fair chance you would have met him.
I wish I could have that opportunity.

Now I don't know what is keeping you from going to the flyins or participating in the "real" PoA, but whatever it is, and frankly, its none of my business, but its making you miss the big picture here.
No, it isn't, but since it apparently is making an impact on my perception here, despite the work I do, I'm going to tell you anyway, but not this moment because its 6am and I haven't had coffee yet.

By denying two generous offers now so that you maintain control over some business aspect or some fear of lawsuit (this is the internet, btw, despite what Ron Levy may think), you are doing a huge disservice to the members of the board and to the community as a whole.
Nick, I'm going to say this one more time and then I'm going to stop repeating myself.

WE DID NOT DENY THE OFFERS. READ what I ****ing told you earlier, dammit, and stop assuming you fricking know everything! WE DID NOT TURN THEM DOWN, we simply fell out of contact. My fault. I've said so many times now. I attempted to re-establish contact with both vendors recently once my schedule allowed for more time and I haven't heard back from either, so I am assuming that they lost interest. I don't blame them - they were waiting on me for input and I never got it to them because I was working 60 hours a week and this site took the back burner.

Thats a cop out. You can't convince me, or anyone else who sees it that way otherwise because its obvious, and it has been since you turned down Dean's offer, IMHO.
Yeah except we didn't TURN DOWN his offer, it just kind of lost steam.

Edit: By cop out, I don't mean I expect you to go tit for tat with me, but to just dismiss me or blow me off for pointing out the frustration that is seen here is just not right. I can see that's how you deal with someone you disagree with.
It isn't right? What was your first post in this thread, Nick? Would you call your post constructive? "Save your breath guys, they don't care. They didn't care care 2 years ago, they don't care now. Its a control issue now."

I mean, c'mon nick - the phones ringing, its the pot calling...

Thank you. Very well spoken sir! I was a bit put out by that comment as well.

May I suggest, Chuck, that you seriously look into putting PoA into a LLC or some such entity that can protect you from personal liability ASAP.

It is obvious that the 'hold-up' on shirts is the level of protection that you desire from personal liability from any sales (or lack thereof) of merchandise - and with complete justification! I don't think anyone would deny that you - and the entire MC - deserve protection from any personal liability issues that may arise.

It is obvious that PoA is growing beyond the bounds of what one person should have the responsibility of managing alone. If you can get it into a separate entity, you can delegate some authority of management of the board and its services with a greater feeling of security and protection of your personal assets.

Kudos to you and the MC for what you have built here with PoA - not only the technical hard-coded webboard, but also the 'virtual' community that has grown and is flourishing around it. It even appears now that the 'virtual' community is slowly progressing into a 'concrete' community with numerous PoA gatherings happening every year! Also kudos to folks like Jesse, Adam and other PoA'ers that are willing and able to take on more responsibility than the average community member here. Without those folks pushing the leadership to develop and stretch the bounds of what can be done here, the community would become stagnant and die away quickly.

I hope the issue of SHIRTS doesn't cause a split in the community and solutions or at least agreements to reach a solution can be found soon.

[insert deep southern accent] ... and that's all I got ta' say 'bout that... :D

May I suggest, Chuck, that you seriously look into putting PoA into a LLC or some such entity that can protect you from personal liability ASAP.
There's actually been a discussion in the MC recently about that, and the general future of POA. I want PoA to become its own entity to ensure that it continues to run long beyond my time here. I'm hoping that Adam can help me with that.

It is obvious that the 'hold-up' on shirts is the level of protection that you desire from personal liability from any sales (or lack thereof) of merchandise - and with complete justification! I don't think anyone would deny that you - and the entire MC - deserve protection from any personal liability issues that may arise.
It is a serious concern, and the concerns slowed things down with the vendors with whom we've spoken before. However, I would be dishonest if I suggested that anything *but* my failure to keep on top of the deal was the reason it fell through. Like I said, some of the questions hadn't been answered to my full satisfaction, but that isn't to say they wouldn't necessarily have been - the ball was in my court and I let it fall.

It is obvious that PoA is growing beyond the bounds of what one person should have the responsibility of managing alone. If you can get it into a separate entity, you can delegate some authority of management of the board and its services with a greater feeling of security and protection of your personal assets.
That is my goal. We've been discussing this, and one MC member offered to buy out PoA outright, but to be frank, I don't like that idea. I trust all of the MC members implicitly, but if it goes from single owner to single owner, one day in the chain an owner could come along and do things with the site that I myself would have been 100% opposed to. Turning PoA into a fully fledged LLC of some sort will help protect against that happening.
Kudos to you and the MC for what you have built here with PoA - not only the technical hard-coded webboard, but also the 'virtual' community that has grown and is flourishing around it. It even appears now that the 'virtual' community is slowly progressing into a 'concrete' community with numerous PoA gatherings happening every year! Also kudos to folks like Jesse, Adam and other PoA'ers that are willing and able to take on more responsibility than the average community member here. Without those folks pushing the leadership to develop and stretch the bounds of what can be done here, the community would become stagnant and die away quickly.
I couldn't have said it better. The community has grown well beyond just what this website is, and its my regret that my circumstances have prevented me from being more of a part of that.

I understand that the POA management staff would love to see the apparel bring in lots of money to help offset the cost, but I don't see that happening. I am not sure of the total members here, but I would say that there are only about 50-100 ACTIVE members that would purchase items. That is not much business for a large shop to invest the time and money for. Jesse and I have contacts with small shops who cater to the little guy who needs just a few hats and shirts. So why doesn't the management staff just OK us to help out the few who want the items and those few just make a $5-$10 donation to the site. The site gets a little extra money and the members that want to advertise the site have the items to wear. Spike could come up with something to release the site from any liability if thats what their worried about.

I understand that the POA management staff would love to see the apparel bring in lots of money to help offset the cost, but I don't see that happening. I am not sure of the total members here, but I would say that there are only about 50-100 ACTIVE members that would purchase items. That is not much business for a large shop to invest the time and money for. Jesse and I have contacts with small shops who cater to the little guy who needs just a few hats and shirts. So why doesn't the management staff just OK us to help out the few who want the items and those few just make a $5-$10 donation to the site. The site gets a little extra money and the members that want to advertise the site have the items to wear. Spike could come up with something to release the site from any liability if thats what their worried about.

I agree. I think they will sell about 25 or so shirts and then there will be very little demand. It would be much better for the MC to make one off deal for someone to make a run of shirts and meet that current demand. Occasionally when there is again demand allow for another one off run. It would be easier on them and make us happier too. In other words a win-win

I have no illusions about the merchandising becoming some huge operation, or even that it will raise very much. In fact, I rather think it won't raise more than a few months worth of bills before the surge of buyers runs out (which is mainly why it isn't a huge item of personal interest for me). However, business is business, and even for a small operation like ours, proper due diligence is crucial.

Since the vendors we had been talking to when you first raised the possibility of handling this have fallen off the radar, I encourage you to take this up with Adam. Please shoot him a PM with the details of your proposed arrangement.

Chuck

I agree. I think they will sell about 25 or so shirts and then there will be very little demand. It would be much better for the MC to make one off deal for someone to make a run of shirts and meet that current demand. Occasionally when there is again demand allow for another one off run. It would be easier on them and make us happier too. In other words a win-win
However if we can set up a long term arrangement with a storefront operation like Cafe Press, which charges only per sale, even if its a trickle amount in the long run, its a set it and forget it deal for us.

(See? I *have* been thinking about this for a long time...there are lots of pros and cons to each approach to weigh.)

WE DID NOT DENY THE OFFERS.

Ahh, I guess when I read:
Greebo said:
This is an unauthorized use of the Pilots of America logo. We have a pending agreement with a vendor which when it goes into effect will provide benefit to Pilots of America and contribute to our operating expenses. We understand that it has taken longer than we initially hoped to get that deal moving, but in the meantime, I must insist that this unauthorized use of our logo cease.

And

Greebo yesterday said:
Jesse - you should have discussed this with us first rather than making a public post. This strikes me as an attempt to force our hand, and I can't speak for the rest of the MC, but it rubs me the wrong way, badly. It struck me as tactless, abrasive (at least, your PM to me was), and lacked diplomacy and salesmanship.

It appears you are turning down the offers. My apologies.

STRONG REQUEST: Get them with breast pockets! I need somewhere to put pens while flying!

Same here except the pocket is for my reading glasses (and sunglasses). I already have a place in the airplane for pens. And I suspect that a disproportionate share of the POAers who have the cash lying around to buy a $40 T-shirt are in the age bracket that dictates bifocals or reading glasses.

My pens clip on the knee board.

However if we can set up a long term arrangement with a storefront operation like Cafe Press, which charges only per sale, even if its a trickle amount in the long run, its a set it and forget it deal for us.

(See? I *have* been thinking about this for a long time...there are lots of pros and cons to each approach to weigh.)

Chuck, I just got around to reading this thread past the first 5 or 6 posts and first I must say I'm glad to see it return to the original issue of shirts and turned away from who offended who. I think it's clear to everyone now that:

1> There are a number of us interested in procuring shirts.

2> Supplying apparel isn't all that attractive to you for various and valid reasons.

3> Jesse's intentions were reasonable, at least from his perspective.

4> You are (quite likely justifiably) a bit sensitive to the topic.

5> You have a lot at stake here with the webboard. Virtually everyone one else here could walk away from POA and suffer little loss compared to you. We'd miss it, might regroup etc, but nothing would touch us directly if something bad happened to POA.

6> You seem to think that the reputation (and more) of POA could/would be affected if it were involved in a merchandising effort that failed some way or even just faded away after a brief start.

7> You would like to find the "one and only perfect solution" to the apparel issue.

8> #7 is unlikely to actually happen.

It seems to me that we don't need a fully researched business plan here. A one-time (possibly renewable) source of POA logo'd apparel is probably the best choice for all at this time. Your responses on this thread coupled with your (again understandable) lack of action reminds me of the classic perfectionist/overachiever student's reaction to an assignment for a 3 page paper that was expected to require a couple hours of work that turns into a 2 month project that gets more complicated as it progresses (actually regresses) until the student gives up completely in utter frustration (and associated emotional distress). Why don't we try a short term, easy solution for now and either let it evolve into something bigger (unlikely) or (more likely) satisfy the immediate demand with the expectation that the future demand will be much smaller or non-existent?

Perhaps to mitigate your potential liability a requirement for a simple liability release for POA (not Jesse or any other supplier) from each shirt purchaser combined with the general cooperative nature of those likely to be paying this kind of money for T-shirts would be sufficient and acceptable. I'd sure be willing to sign such a release.

As to the logo copyright, a concise agreement that allows you to terminate Jesse's right to purchase more shirts with the logo at will would take care of the major concerns there. That way you would still be free to negotiate an exclusive contract with another entity in the future should you so desire. I seriously doubt that Jesse has any expectation of turning a profit on his effort so it seems likely that he'd accept such a termination clause as long as it wouldn't leave him stuck with a pile of shirts he couldn't sell to recoup his expenses. The same agreement could spell out that the $10/shirt "logo fee" was actually a donation to POA for which POA needn't accept any liability in the first place.

What do you think? Could we just try this as a one-time solution? Please?

Lance - I really appreciate your summation and recommendation, but I mean it - Adam is running with this one. I already know that I'm not motivated enough to make it happen and that hasn't been fair to all of you.

My assumption is that Adam will be presenting our alternatives to the MC with his recommendation for the best option.

Believe it or not, guys, when it comes to non-system operational decisions, virtually all policy decisions here ARE Management Council decisions, and trust me they aren't rubber stamping whatever I say!

See... this is how friends hurt friends. Jesse wants to do something nice for his friends and community. Greebo wants to protect the community (his job in fact). Whether Jesse is here for the long term run or a short one off shouldn't matter.
Greebo, just get the MC to say yes to this one time venture and let it go.
Jesse, you're just out to do something good. Don't take ANYTHING so personal (especially in this thread).
Now boys, kiss and make up.
As Mom used to say, play nice.
I'm still in on a shirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back