POA Apparel

Will you pay $45 for a quality POA polo shirt?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jesse

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jesse
I decided that if this was ever going to get done someone would have to take some initiative. My offer is simple. The shirts will be blue embroidered polo of good quality. I can attest to the quality of the vendor as I know them personally (my boss's wife). I have a couple of polo shirts provided by her that are quite nice.

Below is the style and color:

shirt.jpg

Various sizes will be available. I will handle the stocking and shipping of the shirts. A generous portion of the profit will go towards Pilots of America. Keep in mind--I'm not trying to make money. I just want to get this taken care of. You are not just buying a shirt you are supporting Pilots of America.

Cost: $45 (includes shipping)

If you are willing to commit to the purchase please respond. I need to know what kind of quantity we are looking at so I can get this pushed through. If this cost is completely unfreaking believably expensive please say so.

This offer is pending approval of the POA management. Nothing will be created or sold until I have permission. If people are willing to pay $45 and management will approve you will be wearing a POA polo shirt in the VERY near future.

Last edited:
Good luck Jesse, I went as far as having a demo hat and shirt done and was told that I was producing POA items illegally and to stop at once. If you need the airplane for the artwork, it can be purchased online for $3.00., it is not the property of POA.

I love the idea and your gumption for getting the ball rolling, but $45 is a bit out of my price range at this point. Sorry. :(

Keep in mind folks. This is not $45 straight up for the shirt. Pilots of America has operating costs. It's that simple.

You are supporting Pilots of America and getting a quality polo shirt out of the deal.

Also keep in mind--This is not approved by the management council. It's just me trying to get the ball rolling.

If you think about that, its not a bad price at all. How many of you have tried to buy a shirt from EAA? Thats sometimes more expensive depending on the shirt. I looked up the price for a common golf shirt at EAA. They're $34.99 ($36.74 after tax). Shipping is $8.50 plus $20.50 if you want it in less than 4 days. If you have about a week or so depending on location, you will be paying $45.24 for a shirt that you can hardly make out the logo in my opinion.

So if you think about it. The price for a POA shirt is about the same if not cheaper than a shirt you'd buy at Oshkosh every year. Not only that but if I understand correctly, it would be full POA colors instead of a red logo on a red shirt or whatever the case may be. So you'll actualy be able to notice fellow "POA family members" at air shows and you will be supporting and sharing the pride and growth of Pilots of America! Imagine how many members/friends we could gain by them seeing your shirt and saying "hmm, I wonder who they are!"

Jesse is willing to handle everything from personaly getting the logo to the person who makes it, picking the shirts up and mailing them directly to your front step. This is a lot of work on top of what he already does on a regular basis. I personaly think that if someone is willing to volunteer thier time to help a worthy cause that we shouldn't hold them back. Not just him, but everyone on POA.

Heck yea, I'll buy one! Small for me please.

Last edited:
If you think about that, its not a bad price at all. How many of you have tried to buy a shirt from EAA? Thats sometimes more expensive depending on the shirt. I looked up the price for a common golf shirt at EAA. They're $34.99 ($36.74 after tax). Shipping is $8.50 plus $20.50 if you want it in less than 4 days. If you have about a week or so depending on location, you will be paying $45.24 for a shirt that you can hardly make out the logo in my opinion.

So if you think about it. The price for a POA shirt is about the same if not cheaper than a shirt you'd buy at Oshkosh every year. Not only that but if I understand correctly, it would be full POA colors instead of a red logo on a red shirt or whatever the case may be. So you'll actualy be able to notice fellow "POA family members" at air shows and you will be supporting and sharing the pride and growth of Pilots of America! Imagine how many members/friends we could gain by them seeing your shirt and saying "hmm, I wonder who they are!"

Jesse is willing to handle everything from personaly getting the logo to the person who makes it, picking the shirts up and mailing them directly to your front step. This is a lot of work on top of what he already does on a regular basis. I personaly think that if someone is willing to volunteer thier time to help a worthy cause that we shouldn't hold them back. Not just him, but everyone on POA.

Heck yea, I'll buy one! Small for me please.

I can understand and completely appreciate the implied costs of the project as well as where the money goes, but for ME personally, $45 for one shirt is out of my PERSONAL budget range.

I can afford to buy a $20 t-shirt at OSH every year to support EAA, but that's about as far as my "support the cause" budget goes. Sorry. :(

hmm, thought I replied.

I'd do it. PoA ain't gonna like the fact that someone is willing to do something they've been promising for years though.

I just hope Jesse doesn't get bit like Dean did...that was a messy, despicable situation.

Good luck Jesse.

Sign me up... make sure the artwork looks good.

yea im pretty much at a stage in my life where the only thing i wear either costs 20 or less or is free.

I think this is really to build up jesse's legal defense fund.....;)

Last edited:
I'm in.

Hey young, bold pilot: will it make an old, fat pilot look like the guy in the photo? In case not, I'll need an XL. :rolleyes:

Regards,
Joe

Jesse, I'll take two (one for Leslie). STRONG REQUEST: Get them with breast pockets! I need somewhere to put pens while flying!

Jesse, I'll take two (one for Leslie). STRONG REQUEST: Get them with breast pockets! I need somewhere to put pens while flying!

Mmmmmm, heh heh, he said it.

MmHehehehhheehehedheh.

I saw her, hmm heh hmmm .... thingies!

Spike do you want a shirt with breast pockets too? LOL

I would buy one blue polo at that price. However, if the price was slightly lower (say $35.00) and more colors were offered, I would buy 2 or 3, provided the artwork was nice. Just something to think about. :rolleyes:

Jesse,

Adam is currently researching possible established vendors with whom we can establish a relationship, and I believe is also evaluating CafePress as an option based on the more recent, positive reports we've received of them having a good quality product. If you wish to be considered, please present Adam with your proposal and credentials as an established, 0-footprint vendor for internet marketing.

Thanks,

Chuck

I'm going to go against my better judgment and add to this thread with some more personal input.

Jesse - you should have discussed this with us first rather than making a public post. This strikes me as an attempt to force our hand, and I can't speak for the rest of the MC, but it rubs me the wrong way, badly. It struck me as tactless, abrasive (at least, your PM to me was), and lacked diplomacy and salesmanship.

The idea of PoA Gear for sale is a nice one, I agree, and the sale of such, if handled properly, could be of great benefit. However, personally, it isn't all that important to me either way. If handled the wrong way it could be a BIG headache. Nobody on the MC is interested in being a storefront - we don't have the time or inclination or funds to deal with inventory, production, shipping, etc. I've been down that road once on a small scale for a volunteer project - NEVER again.

Remember, this site is not a business, its a loosely organized non-profit organization. An arrangement to produce gear will *have* to be 0 foot print on our end - with us earning a commission on sales - with an established internet vendor with a proven track record - for it to get my own endorsement.

No offense Jesse, but what guarantee do you offer that 2 years and 3 months from now, when a new buyer wants 3 shirts, that you'll still be interested in maintaining your rather impulsively presented arrangement? The internet is riddled with horror stories from popular sites that set up hasty vendor arrangements that ended up not working out well - especially for the buyers of the product. (Giant in the Playground is one such horror story that leaps immediately to my mind.) Frankly, if it came down to a choice between personally funding the site and being in a bad merchandising deal that caused loads of headache, I'll take paying for the site (and have). Fortunately we have been blessed with tremendous support from our members in that regard and funding hasn't been a concern for some time. (THANK YOU)

We have, in the past, investigated possibilities of doing something like this. We were discussing making such an arrangement with one vendor, and while not all of us were fully satisfied with the level of response we were getting, we were going to move forward with it, but unfortunately real life got in my way and by the time I could return my attention to it, the vendor had apparently lost interest. My fault for letting communication falter, but on the other hand, the venture was becoming more work than I personally wanted and there were serious questions on our end about being able to verify sales and payments due that weren't fully answered in my view, so perhaps it was for the best.

As I said earlier, Adam is looking into options. If you can prove to our satisfaction that you're the best vendor for the job, have the best quality for the best price, etc, great, but making a public issue of it and trying to force our hand on this issue in this manner is not making this MC member look too favorably upon your offer right now.

I have a very SIMPLE solution. Grant any one that wants it, rights(limited) to use the poa logo and name and allow us to purchase our own from the vendor of our choice. That way, I want have to worry about being sued for the hat I had made for ME.

An arrangement to produce gear will *have* to be 0 foot print on our end - with us earning a commission on sales - with an established internet vendor with a proven track record - for it to get my own endorsement.

We were discussing making such an arrangement with one vendor, <snip>, the venture was becoming more work than I personally wanted and there were serious questions on our end about being able to verify sales and payments due that weren't fully answered in my view, so perhaps it was for the best.

I am having trouble reconciling the "zero footprint" and verifying sales and payments. Do you want involvement or not? If you want to make some money off it (no problems with that) you'll either have to put in some effort of order control/audit or just trust with whom you are dealing.

Personally, I've never seen getting some shirts made to be such a long drawn out affair.

0 footprint meaning really near-0. The ideal model would be one that takes orders, produces merchandise, delivers merchandise, and pays the commission automatically while providing automated tracking reports on orders, payments due, and payments made.

Other than CafePress I haven't found a vendor that can do all of that, and as I said, CafePress was, until recently, out of consideration due to reports of bad quality merchandise.

Chuck: Did the e-mail feed I sent from within the site arrive? It had to do with the operation which supplies the CFO - Cardinal Flyers Online - shirts. They look pretty sharp.

HR

I don't recall seeing one - can you resend?

I don't recall seeing one - can you resend?

Yeah; I'll go back into CFO and get the info.

EDIT: Bummer! I read the Digest and deleted it(I get so many). However, I did some digging and came up with: http://www.house-of-embroidery.com/l.cgi?b=store/cfo/ldr.htm&t=store/cfo/tool.shtml

Note in the ABOUT section, Line #3: "Your order will be handled by House Of Embroidery, and your credit card will show a charge from House of Embroidery, but with your purchase you are supporting CFO."

It sounds like the type of "0-Footprint" you've referenced.

HR

Last edited:
0 footprint meaning really near-0. The ideal model would be one that takes orders, produces merchandise, delivers merchandise, and pays the commission automatically while providing automated tracking reports on orders, payments due, and payments made.

A decent fullfillment company should make this happen very easily, not necessarily the shirt producer/retailer.

A decent fullfillment company should make this happen very easily, not necessarily the shirt producer/retailer.
Thats what I thought, but when I did the research (> 1 yr ago) the only *online* company that I found that really fit the model was CafePress, which, as I've said, we were shying away from.

If you know of more that follow their model, please do provide references. :) An "out of the box" solution is essential to me.

That said, when Adam is done working on what he's working on, we may just end up going with CafePress and damn the torpedoes.

I'm going to go against my better judgment and add to this thread with some more personal input.
Ok. I think I will too.

Jesse - you should have discussed this with us first rather than making a public post. This strikes me as an attempt to force our hand, and I can't speak for the rest of the MC, but it rubs me the wrong way, badly. It struck me as tactless, abrasive (at least, your PM to me was), and lacked diplomacy and salesmanship.
This is a group--we all put towards it. I don't see anything wrong with asking people what they are willing to pay. I doubt they do either. I never said I was going to sell to anyone unless I established an agreement with the management council.

The idea of PoA Gear for sale is a nice one, I agree, and the sale of such, if handled properly, could be of great benefit. However, personally, it isn't all that important to me either way.

It is for some of us. SOME of us actually fly and plan events. Some of us go to events. We do all of this in the name of Pilots of America. This group that we think so highly of. But yet if we make a shirt we get threatended. I think that is very uncalled for. This is not a business and this never will be a business. This community was built with the idea being this will be a community. If you don't care about the shirts I think you need to either find somone that does care and let us do it. It has been two years. The fact that you say that you don't care but yet say we can't do it is nothing but offensive.

If handled the wrong way it could be a BIG headache. Nobody on the MC is interested in being a storefront - we don't have the time or inclination or funds to deal with inventory, production, shipping, etc. I've been down that road once on a small scale for a volunteer project - NEVER again.
It has been handeled the wrong way. It has been a big headache. It's been one for those of us that care. For those that don't care--I guess it doesn't matter. We don't want you to worry about it which is why we want to do it.

Remember, this site is not a business, its a loosely organized non-profit organization. An arrangement to produce gear will *have* to be 0 foot print on our end - with us earning a commission on sales - with an established internet vendor with a proven track record - for it to get my own endorsement.
It's not even that. This site is a community that we all built. This is a community we will all leave just as fast. You are asking for an established vendor with a proven track record to just give you money. That isn't going to happen. I would think I am respected enough in the POA community to make a few shirts. I've had at least 18 people now tell me they would buy it from me. This was with significant money going into your pocket. The members of this forum are big boys. They do not need you to protect them from a simple purchase of a polo shirt from a friend.

No offense Jesse, but what guarantee do you offer that 2 years and 3 months from now, when a new buyer wants 3 shirts, that you'll still be interested in maintaining your rather impulsively presented arrangement?
Chuck, we are talking polo shirts. If some day I crash into the side of mountain no one is going to cry that they can't buy the same shirt anymore. These are shirts. These are not million dollar computer systems that must have a 24x7 support contract for the next 37 years. These are shirts, sold to friends, Are you being serious with that statement?

The internet is riddled with horror stories from popular sites that set up hasty vendor arrangements that ended up not working out well - especially for the buyers of the product. (Giant in the Playground is one such horror story that leaps immediately to my mind.) Frankly, if it came down to a choice between personally funding the site and being in a bad merchandising deal that caused loads of headache, I'll take paying for the site (and have). Fortunately we have been blessed with tremendous support from our members in that regard and funding hasn't been a concern for some time. (THANK YOU)
We all know each other. We are talking the sale of a few polo shirts. You are really over reacting.

We have, in the past, investigated possibilities of doing something like this. We were discussing making such an arrangement with one vendor, and while not all of us were fully satisfied with the level of response we were getting, we were going to move forward with it, but unfortunately real life got in my way and by the time I could return my attention to it, the vendor had apparently lost interest. My fault for letting communication falter, but on the other hand, the venture was becoming more work than I personally wanted and there were serious questions on our end about being able to verify sales and payments due that weren't fully answered in my view, so perhaps it was for the best.
You think I'm going to sell a few shirts and not pay you the comission for them? Seriously--I offered you guys quite a deal. You were going to get $10 per shirt in profit TOWARDS PILOTS OF AMERICA.

As I said earlier, Adam is looking into options. If you can prove to our satisfaction that you're the best vendor for the job, have the best quality for the best price, etc, great, but making a public issue of it and trying to force our hand on this issue in this manner is not making this MC member look too favorably upon your offer right now.

I've posted here for years. I've met almost everyone here that matters. I've helped people with numerous problems. I came up with a plan to get people polo shirts right now (not two years from now) and give POA some money. You need a member willing to put some time towards it, you do not need a damn vendor. We are talking a few polo shirts for a small community.

I did not make this a public issue, I made this something that the members of this community could look at. Do not make more of this then it is.

The POA management council wasted two years on this. I come up with a pretty sweet deal for everyone. I checked to see if people were willing to buy them and I wrote you saying I'd give POA $10 per polo shirt.

How dare I try to expand the community by getting some friends a few polo shirts. How dare I try to give money to POA. How dare I put my time into this place.

Your response was uncalled for and about all I can say is: sigh.

Last edited:
FWIW, I am confident (and this belief is backed-up by actual, face-to-face contact and legitimate business dealings) that if Jesse makes a commitment, Jesse honors the commitment, period, full-stop.

What that means is, if Jesse told me he would sell me a shirt for $45.00, and that the profit from the shirt would be donated to POA to help defray expenses, I would consider that as sure as FedEx, done deal.

In fact, I don't even think the Big J is looking to have a link or a "storefront," per se.

It can be complicated, or it can be simple- you can't get more "0 Footprint" than "I'll handle it all for you."

Comida for thought.

===

Offered not to stir the pot, but rather, as a personal recommendation of the man as one of good character, perhaps of benefit because you have not had the chance to meet him or deal with him, yet.

Well, all this seems much ado about nothing. Including Jesse's post immediately above mine.

You already sell large avatars and email addresses on the domain name. You solicit donations for operating expenses. You have a Paypal account that you are using. Go to the mall and get some t-shirts printed. Get some golf shirts embroidered. Mail them out as you are able. Tell folks to be patient. In my experience a few folks will be busy for a week then the demand will fall to next to nil. If you think it will be any more than that then we are all kidding ourselves about the popularity of this site. Sounds like Jesse is volunteering to handle it. Case solved.

Jesse,

Adam is currently researching possible established vendors with whom we can establish a relationship, and I believe is also evaluating CafePress as an option based on the more recent, positive reports we've received of them having a good quality product. If you wish to be considered, please present Adam with your proposal and credentials as an established, 0-footprint vendor for internet marketing.

Thanks,

Chuck
Where have we heard this before. All talk and NO action is not what the people of this board want. If PoA is not interested in being a store front then so be it. But your refusing to let anyone else make the shirts shows that you actually do want to be some sort of store front.

Let Jesse use the PoA logo for a one off run of the shirts with a donation back to the PoA while you all continue "possible vendor relationships". It is that simple.

Ok. I think I will too.
I've met almost everyone here that matters.

I take offense to that remark, you and I have not met, and probably never will,(hopefully) does that mean I dont matter to "your " community? I have the opinion that EVERYONE that participates on this board matters, Even you Jesse.

I take offense to that remark, you and I have not met, and probably never will,(hopefully) does that mean I dont matter to "your " community? I have the opinion that EVERYONE that participates on this board matters, Even you Jesse.
I don't know, Skip. We could be at odds with each other. That avatar probably means you were a submariner whereas I worked on Vikings, otherwise known as sub killers. :D

:goofy:

Save your breath guys, they don't care. They didn't care care 2 years ago, they don't care now.

Its a control issue now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back