PoA and user reputation

rwellner98

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
rw2
Maybe it's time for POA to use a system like slashcode or reddit wherein users score posts and the cream naturally rises to the top. Would solve a lot of persistent problems with trolls.

I see vbulletin has a reputation system. How come this isn't being used?

Maybe it's time for POA to use a system like slashcode or reddit wherein users score posts and the cream naturally rises to the top. Would solve a lot of persistent problems with trolls.

I see vbulletin has a reputation system. How come this isn't being used?

IIRC, it was used for a while but became a popularity contest.

I vote against anything that makes for more work for those who run this site.

It would become a mutual appreciation circle jerk. Granted that is what a lot of people want. Internet affirmation with no ego challenges or dissenting opinion. We are all so Awesome, pilots are the greatest people ever.

We had it turned on at one point. It became (badly) abused. So it got turned off. Same thing with tags.

It is possible to have differing opinions and still show respect!!!!!!!

Last edited:
It would become a mutual appreciation circle jerk. Granted that is what a lot of people want. Internet affirmation with no ego challenges or dissenting opinion. We are all so Awesome, pilots are the greatest people ever.

Don't forget easily offended. Speaking of which, why isn't "circle jerk" classified as profanity? MODERATOR!...I SAY, MODERATOR!

Bleh. Ok, thanks.

I just read the doc on the reputation system and think I can understand how it could be abused. It's pretty different from slashdot or reddit, but to steingars point, switching platform would be an absolutely massive amount of work. Just a bummer that a few people can so easily wreck things, but I guess that's not a problem unique to PoA.

How about a quicker way to add a user to ignore list, one click on a users post?

How about a quicker way to add a user to ignore list, one click on a users post?

The problem with the ignore list is that you still see the responses from others. A scoring system like that in slashcode allows the community to filter, so the trolls don't get seen. They don't actually go away, but he quality of the user experience for everyone else goes up dramatically anyway.

Anyone interested can read about such approaches here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slashdot#Slash_and_peer_moderation

It's proven. It works. It would be a huge PITA for the POA admins to switch software in order to gain such benefits. Such is life.

What was it Thumpers mother said, "If ya don't have nuthin good to say, don't say nuthin at all"

What was it Thumpers mother said, "If ya don't have nuthin good to say, don't say nuthin at all"
Oh crap, my momma told me it was 'if you can't say something funny or insulting don't say anything at all.' Been doing it wrong all these years.:lol:

We had it turned on at one point. It became (badly) abused. So it got turned off. Same thing with tags.

Except it didn't. It was used to great extent, and was never given the chance to be used properly because one person whined about it.

I agree with the OP (and have since 2007) - we need the reputation system back.

The problem with the ignore list is that you still see the responses from others. A scoring system like that in slashcode allows the community to filter, so the trolls don't get seen. They don't actually go away, but he quality of the user experience for everyone else goes up dramatically anyway.

Anyone interested can read about such approaches here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slashdot#Slash_and_peer_moderation

It's proven. It works. It would be a huge PITA for the POA admins to switch software in order to gain such benefits. Such is life.

I'd say the jury is still out or even that slash and stuff like reddit and dig are actually failures, unless you're looking to end up with a fairly homogenous group at the end. Various sites like slash, digg, and reddit have specific community leanings that are unnaturally sustained through their moderation systems.

And example is the iconic "TL;DR" on reddit. You're on a website that espouses to be full of hard core READERS, and yet, the TL:DR crowd became the social norm there? Funny stuff if you think about it.

I'd say that any forum I've ever been in that automated ratings, ended up subtly changing toward a particular majority crowd's particular groupthink style.

Free for all type places rapidly degenerate into "let me delete 80% of this stuff and then I'll start reading".

Only moderator driven forums have ever seemed to stand the tests of time for general civility and the occasional mistake in judgement. It's really the most similar model to real life... the most diverse without harm to many individuals over long periods of time.

A few moderated sites do turn into personal bashing by moderators, playing by their own rules, but those usually die a fairly quick death, because they're so obviously toxic to real discussions.

The concept of an SZ here is brilliant. Allows those who want to participate in off-topic debate, to do so, while allowing the general participant to not see much of it. I wish we'd thought of something similar on some of the electronics forums I used to spend s lot of time on. Would have helped with moderator burnout and sanity on a couple of those forums, too.

I'd say the jury is still out or even that slash and stuff like reddit and dig are actually failures, unless you're looking to end up with a fairly homogenous group at the end. Various sites like slash, digg, and reddit have specific community leanings that are unnaturally sustained through their moderation systems.

reddit is broad. hard to find a broader cross section. moderation works there. it is one of the most popular websites in the world with hundreds of comments per topic and very little cruft makes it to the top.

slash is very much like PoA, a site focused on a specific topic wherein people interested in that topic are more likely than a randomly sample of the public to have a few specific leanings or opinions. moderation works there also. for more than a decade.

there might be a question as to whether it's worth the time for the mods to setup a system on PoA (I say yes, but since I'm not an admin it's not my time I'm volunteering), but there is no question that there are moderation systems that are time tested and work.

I think the marginal benefit of such a system versus using the present "ignore" feature is very small. I would vote against such a system on POA if this were a democracy. It's not. Mods, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

-Skip

...And example is the iconic "TL;DR" on reddit. You're on a website that espouses to be full of hard core READERS, and yet, the TL:DR crowd became the social norm there? Funny stuff if you think about it...

BTW, for those who haven't noticed this feature yet, the way to keep the forum software from inserting a smiley face into "TL:DR," etc., is to check the box next to "Disable smiliies in text" below the "Submit Reply" button.

BTW, for those who haven't noticed this feature yet, the way to keep the forum software from inserting a smiley face into "TL:DR," etc., is to check the box next to "Disable smiliies in text" below the "Submit Reply" button.

Doesn't exist on tapatalk, but thanks.

I figured you might know about it, but others might not.

Too bad Tapatalk doesn't support that feature. BTW, what's the attraction of that interface?

I figured you might know about it, but others might not.

Too bad Tapatalk doesn't support that feature. BTW, what's the attraction of that interface?

Much much more lightweight and I'm always on an iDevice here. If I'm at a computer, it's pretty rare I have time for PoA.

Plus the web interface is what I like to call a "target practice" interface. Find the tiny blue button to jump to the latest new post. In Tapatalk, I just go to the Unread tab.

Window sizing and management in most modern OS's is target practice too. The higher the resolution the more jacking around you have to go through to actually hit the ten pixel image on a 4K monitor (no I don't have one but you get the idea).

Been doing online forums since before USENET. Web interfaces combine all of the absolute worst possible UI elements of all of the ones I've used. But that's true for most web interfaces.

When I'm at the Mac, I use keyboard shortcuts for damn near everything. Reaching for a mouse is a waste of effort. I'd rather type. Hands don't even have to come off the keyboard.

Try operating web based forum software without a mouse. Heh.

On iDevices the interface has to work with a single thumb, forcing away a lot of mouse-driven "dumbness". ;)

This site works just fine on my iPad without tapatalk. Maybe there is a benefit that I'm not aware of but I've never used it, so I don't miss it.

I could see the benefit on a phone, but I don't play Internet on my phone anyway.

I dislike Tapatalk and never use it on my iDevices although I do use my iDevices for PoA quite often. PoA on my iPhone 5 in Safari works great for me.

The only part that gets really painful is trying to edit a long post. Text selection gets really weird and difficult in a giant text box.

I don't mind tapatalk, but I do prefer the forum on a PC if I'm able to get to it.

Uploading photos, opening posted files, and a few other things are a little inconvenient for me in tapatalk. But it's ok to use I guess, just prefer the web forum when I can.

Lately tapatalk has been acting up, though. It will just randomly close or freeze for no reason. Weird.

The only part that gets really painful is trying to edit a long post. Text selection gets really weird and difficult in a giant text box.

That's been true of iOS since day one. Apple needs to refactor the text selection stuff, bad. It's by far the most infuriating problem in the whole platform.

That's been true of iOS since day one. Apple needs to refactor the text selection stuff, bad. It's by far the most infuriating problem in the whole platform.

+1!

Like a PDF file received from someone else that you want to forward in a different email thread.

Plus the web interface is what I like to call a "target practice" interface. Find the tiny blue button to jump to the latest new post. In Tapatalk, I just go to the Unread tab.
And even the links are small. I pretty much won't use the web browser to read POA on my phone. It's better on the iPad, but I still prefer Tapatalk.

Last edited:

So true. Samsung and/or Android almost got it right, but probably patented it so Apple can't use it. it get frustrating to retype 2 words because I can't select the one I want to change.

Yeah, its bad, but I can think of several other infuriating things about the platform, too.

I mostly use iPad when at home and iPhone5 while on the bus via Safari to do my PoAing. I use the PC at work and almost never use it at home for PoA.

Back