PoA and user reputation

Personally I liked the reputation system but most did not and there was some abuse.

I have never understood people who need a system to hide or ignore what they don't like to read.

Just browse over if you don't like the poster or the comment.

Far worse problems in life.

I have never understood people who need a system to hide or ignore what they don't like to read.

I found myself becoming baited by some posters. Self-discipline in deciding not to reply to abusive postings just didn't work for me. So, in defense of my own need to be more civil, I have put those people who specialize in personal insult onto my Ignore list. It is not so much that I don't care what they say, it is that I don't want to carry on a demeaning conversation. Yes, it a shortcoming on my part, but what the heck, it is an available tool. Why not use it.

I find the ignore tool convenient because it helps me keep from accidentally reading a post from someone whose posts I usually prefer to skip, and there is a link to make an exception when I want to. That said, I have very few people on the list.

The "Henning Poll" thread got me to thinking...

I really think a reputation system here would be beneficial. Not necessarily the reputation of people but of their posts.

For example:

I don't know a lot about a lot of things but I do know a lot about a few things. One in particular being construction. I've done architectural and engineering design, construction management, property management, physical labor on projects, etc.

Someone here will ask a question here about an issue with their house, how to build a pole barn or hangar, etc. and typically by the time I see it there will be 20 or 30 responses. I typically read the entire thread before I respond (a hint to Henning and Levy) and 75% of these responses will be people blowing smoke out their a$$.

And I think to myself "why bother, the OP is already mega confused by all the BS that's being spewed." Like a few years ago when someone was advocating that more water made for stronger concrete and that you wanted it to dry out fast after pouring too. :rolleyes:

So, either I will either not respond at all or I will send the OP a private message saying "look I've been in construction all my life...listen to Jack, Joe and Bob, ignore Bill and Jerry, they're clueless."

A rating system for the replies to a question that is asked may help to direct the OP to those that actually merit consideration. Of course, those doing the rating might not know what they're talking about any more than those who've already responded.

A rating of a response, of course, is an implied rating of the responder himself. I see it often in the few areas that I'm knowledgeable in. These self proclaimed "experts of everything" are completely clueless even though they talk a good game. When I see them being that way on topics that I'm educated in, it makes me doubt everything they say in the areas I'm not educated in. They only serve to confuse. This is why the departure of some isn't a bad thing.

It's also why I respect Ted and a few others here so much. I never see them blowing smoke.

I just saw my poll got closed.

Last I checked, a majority thought Henning was a net asset to the site.

That's what I was curious about.

As long as he says that he could kill more than the Airbus copilot in the French Alps and that he would be doing the doomed passengers a favor, he'll stay ignored by me.

Which is a shame, because he did occasionally have some decent aviation knowledge to share.

I am on another forum that is not run on vBulletin and it has a feature where readers can click on a "like" button for a post. All it does is give the poster positive reinforcement. There is no "hate" button, or "thumbs down" or angry smiley face. I gives you notification when you log in when someone liked your post and you can go and see who they were.

In addition, it shows all viewers of the thread who "liked" the post. I really like this feature. All positive and nothing else. I think it might be popular here, but I don't know if it's possible.

Yea, that works real well on forums like Beechtalk. :rolleyes:

No kidding. As though posting with your "real name" makes people suddenly civil is total BS. People will post with their names and still be dicks and still talk about stuff they know nothing about.

Pointless.

Charge a fee.

Also I think the people in the tent next to me are having sex.

I think you guys are overly concerned with something that isn't really a problem.

I am on another forum that is not run on vBulletin and it has a feature where readers can click on a "like" button for a post. All it does is give the poster positive reinforcement. There is no "hate" button, or "thumbs down" or angry smiley face. I gives you notification when you log in when someone liked your post and you can go and see who they were.

In addition, it shows all viewers of the thread who "liked" the post. I really like this feature. All positive and nothing else. I think it might be popular here, but I don't know if it's possible.

The downside of that is that people can't let the OP know when an answer to their question consist of BS and smokescreen. That's a tool that would be quite useful around here.

Personally, I don't have a problem with publicly poking someone for blowing smoke out their a$$. But, sometimes that tactic elicits pretty violent responses. :yikes:

;)

Not that I care...because one thing you should understand:

attachment.php

:goofy:

Attachments

• tim.png
    tim.png
    199.2 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
The downside of that is that people can't let the OP know when an answer to their question consist of BS and smokescreen. That's a tool that would be quite useful around here.

Personally, I don't have a problem with publicly poking someone for blowing smoke out their a$$. But, sometimes that tactic elicits pretty violent responses. :yikes:

Then do it via public reply.

I don't get it. The last thing this forum needs is some cliquey anonymous system, where "reputation" quickly becomes a popularity rank vs. a measure of the quality of a post.

The number of ninny-discussions on POA contributors here in dedicated threads is already enough to turn my stomach.

;)
Not that I care...because one thing you should understand:

:thumbsup:

Sure they can. The same way they do now, by putting up a post that says that another person's post is BS and supporting your position with argument. If your position is viewed correct, many others will "like" your dissenting post and give an indication of how the group feels on the subject.

The like system really is pretty good.

Sure they can. The same way they do now, by putting up a post that says that another person's post is BS and supporting your position with argument. If your position is viewed correct, many others will "like" your dissenting post and give an indication of how the group feels on the subject.

The like system really is pretty good.

Actually, that makes a lot of sense, never thought about it from that angle. Then again I've never been on a board that has that system to see how it works.

Then do it via public reply.

I don't get it. The last thing this forum needs is some cliquey anonymous system, where "reputation" quickly becomes a popularity rank vs. a measure of the quality of a post.

The number of ninny-discussions on POA contributors here in dedicated threads is already enough to turn my stomach.

No kidding. The last thing online forums need is forum "celebrities", or superior ranking. All it does is create an environment where people get lazy, disengage their brains and follow the heros with a lot of "^This^", or "Yeah that.", or :yes:, or :thumbsup:, or "Xxxxx said it well." People naturally want to be seen on the "winning" side of a fight and will fall in with whoever seems strongest in the forum, but not necessarily right.

Yea, that works real well on forums like Beechtalk. :rolleyes:
There's no way to expect the MC or any other free forum to validate that, either. Also, I wouldn't be willing to submit sufficient evidence to let somebody validate my name for something like that. As a result, my "real name" would probably be farther from the truth than this screen name lol

No kidding. The last thing online forums need is forum "celebrities", or superior ranking. All it does is create an environment where people get lazy, disengage their brains and follow the heros with a lot of "^This^", or "Yeah that.", or :yes:, or :thumbsup:, or "Xxxxx said it well." People naturally want to be seen on the "winning" side of a fight and will fall in with whoever seems strongest in the forum, but not necessarily right.

:yeahthat:

There's no way to expect the MC or any other free forum to validate that, either. Also, I wouldn't be willing to submit sufficient evidence to let somebody validate my name for something like that. As a result, my "real name" would probably be farther from the truth than this screen name lol
Why?

I've never understood the reluctance to use a real name in a piloting group. We are a tiny, tight knit group. There's no reason to remain anonymous.

First off, unless you change your account name often, it's child's play to figure out who everyone is, after just a handful of posts. To think that you can remain anonymous when you're talking about engine problems, type specific topics, and great places to fly for lunch is silly. Anyone who has been here for a while will know who you are soon enough -- so why bother?

And if you avoid those topics, in an effort to retain anonymity, you're missing a large reason for this forum.

Secondly, using your real name keeps people more civil, IMHO. Trolls hiding behind always changing phony account names have killed more than a few forums.

I've used my real name on-line since 1988 or so. I've met dozens (hundreds?) of terrific pilots from all over the world as a result. Many remain friends to this day.

Try being real.

Why?

I've never understood the reluctance to use a real name in a piloting group. We are a tiny, tight knit group. There's no reason to remain anonymous.

First off, unless you change your account name often, it's child's play to figure out who everyone is, after just a handful of posts. To think that you can remain anonymous when you're talking about engine problems, type specific topics, and great places to fly for lunch is silly. Anyone who has been here for a while will know who you are soon enough -- so why bother?

And if you avoid those topics, in an effort to retain anonymity, you're missing a large reason for this forum.

Secondly, using your real name keeps people more civil, IMHO. Trolls hiding behind always changing phony account names have killed more than a few forums.

I've used my real name on-line since 1988 or so. I've met dozens (hundreds?) of terrific pilots from all over the world as a result. Many remain friends to this day.

Try being real.
Whether you recognize it or not, you are a bit of a public figure. The fact that people know who you are and what you do is good for your business.

Your situation isn't the same as everyone else, though. People have all kinds of people that they might not want to know what they are doing and who they are doing it with. If someone wanted money from me would they be interested to know that I have enough disposable income to become a private pilot? Or that I just purchased a plane? Or that I had just sold a plane? Or would someone that wanted to rob my house find it interesting if I were posting online that I was taking a trip?

In the physical world I can choose who I talk to and who I allow to overhear what I say. I can pick the people that know the information I decide to share. But I have zero control over the people that data mine my details online. The only sliver of control I have over my online information is what I type or don't type about myself. My name, my wife's name, my address, etc - that data is important to me, and I safeguard them as much as I can. Just because something makes sense in your situation doesn't mean it makes sense for everyone. One size not only doesn't fit all - when it comes to personal security it doesn't even come close.

Why?

Try being real.

Reading back, I think I missed my point. Not enough coffee when I posted that lol.

My point had more to do with the trolls and other posters that people are trying to discourage: They'd never use a real name, so it wouldn't fix anything anyways. I don't mind using a real name, I use mine on BT, and the screen name I use elsewhere is based on my real name. Regardless, as trolls could make any John Doe and Stan Smith accounts as they want, so the civility argument doesn't hold much value. Perhaps the culture surrounding a forum with real names would squash troll behavior more quickly, though. I don't know, in my head I can't come up with a solution that satisfies the long-term goal. Even the SA forums couldn't stop it and that was after they imposed the $5 registration fee.

The aircraft owners have it one way or another already done: I mean look, most of us have a tail number in our sigs. Most of those then have our tails registered directly to us, and the corporate entities will have public filings that make them open as well.

I guess to sum up my ramblings, there's got to be a solution, but names ain't it. Maybe more meet-ups, though.

The aircraft owners have it one way or another already done: I mean look, most of us have a tail number in our sigs. Most of those then have our tails registered directly to us, and the corporate entities will have public filings that make them open as well.

I guess to sum up my ramblings, there's got to be a solution, but names ain't it. Maybe more meet-ups, though.
Three points:

1 - The tail number in my sig is a joke. It's the tail number for the upcoming Wings Of Hope raffle airplane. ;)
2 - Meet-ups are, in my opinion, the very best way to maintain civility online. Just like with everything else in life, if we've shared laughs, liquor and food, we're probably not going to go for the jugular quite as readily as we would if we never met and never would meet.
3 - I'll give anyone a ride in my plane that wants one. After the raffle, and after my checkride. :wink2:

Three points:

1 - The tail number in my sig is a joke. It's the tail number for the upcoming Wings Of Hope raffle airplane. ;)
2 - Meet-ups are, in my opinion, the very best way to maintain civility online. Just like with everything else in life, if we've shared laughs, liquor and food, we're probably not going to go for the jugular quite as readily as we would if we never met and never would meet.
3 - I'll give anyone a ride in my plane that wants one. After the raffle, and after my checkride. :wink2:

You're special, I know. But you won't have that tail number in your sig for long once I win it again ;-)

We recently got stuck in the middle of a nasty acquisition... my company acquired another company and my business unit got shoved in to a nasty place with lots of people stabbing each other in the back to get ahead and try to save themselves... even though no jobs were ever at risk. People just being people. In the end, they ended up sending a metric ****-ton and a half of folks to the HQ of the newly acquired business in order to try to make things civil. The idea being people will be nicer once they've broken bread (or crab as the case may be) together. It worked for the most part lol... Some people will just be *******s no matter what. But yep, it works.

Oh, I see what you did there...;)
:D

Your situation isn't the same as everyone else, though. People have all kinds of people that they might not want to know what they are doing and who they are doing it with. If someone wanted money from me would they be interested to know that I have enough disposable income to become a private pilot? Or that I just purchased a plane? Or that I had just sold a plane? Or would someone that wanted to rob my house find it interesting if I were posting online that I was taking a trip?

In the physical world I can choose who I talk to and who I allow to overhear what I say. I can pick the people that know the information I decide to share. But I have zero control over the people that data mine my details online. The only sliver of control I have over my online information is what I type or don't type about myself. My name, my wife's name, my address, etc - that data is important to me, and I safeguard them as much as I can. Just because something makes sense in your situation doesn't mean it makes sense for everyone. One size not only doesn't fit all - when it comes to personal security it doesn't even come close.

True. I haven't bothered with trying to hide a personal identity myself because a) I don't have much worth stealing anyway and b) I'm on POA for knowledge, debate, and networking anyway. Trying to get a more solid foothold in the industry, and talking to pilots is a good way to do that. Plus it's fun to talk to people about stuff in general. I do it at work too but it's not as many people in a casual manner either.

Although on a forum it can be a bit incendiary from time to time regardless of who you are or how many people agree with you, but it's the internet and that's what happens. If I had a plane or any amount of money I would probably be a bit more hesitant.. but I don't even really post upcoming trips on FB, much less here. So makes sense for me to not be anonymous, even if I do use my gaming name here.

Three points:

Once I do stumble upon a source of this glorious and elusive thing known as disposable income, I would be absolutely down to heading to a fly-in by air or land, but currently it's a bit too tight. And I like participating in the forum, so I think that barring people until they have been to a fly-in is a bad idea (not part of your post but still relevant). I haven't been backstabbed by people I've hung out with yet, but I have heard of people who have. I'd still feel comfortable hanging out with most POA members.

And I'll take a ride in that 172... all the way to Shawnee! :lol:

Whether you recognize it or not, you are a bit of a public figure. The fact that people know who you are and what you do is good for your business.

True, now. But back before y'all helped me make the leap into aviation themed hotels, back in 2002, (And, yes, when things aren't going well, I blame you guys! Mary doesn't buy it, either...lol), I was just a newspaper guy flying spam cans -- and I've always used my real name and home base in my signature line.

Let's see -- 1988 to 2015 is 27 years. On Prodigy, AOL, rec.aviation, Google Groups, Cherokee Pilots Association, Cherokee 235 Group, VAF, AOPA, EAA, and POA forums. I'm probably forgetting some.

Amazingly, in all that time, with thousands of posts, nothing bad has happened. No one has showed up at my door with a gun -- although more than a few have handed me a six-pack. No one kidnapped my kids, or stalked my wife. No one stole my identity (who would want it?), or keyed my car.

I'm either really lucky -- or you guys are paranoid. Or both. :)

Either way, as always, I'm just...Jay. And I'm about to go flying. Life is good!

And this was my view. First flight testing mogas in the RV. Winds were only 4 knots at 5500' over Mustang Island -- gusting to 29 on the surface. Fun flight.

4aa7f6a2373347edf7312bc515c7fb4d.jpg

Jay- you're a liar! Everyone knows you don't have SFC-G29/5500@4
(LoL)

I don't agree with posting real names.
1- Another memeber on the forum mistook Jay Honeck for Jaybird180, honest mistake (I guess - still scratching my head on that one).
2- There are multiple studies documenting how names influence and encourage prejudices. If this is a pilot discussion forum, some people would be given more credence and other less credence, if even on a subconscious level. It should be a forum where pilots are "judged by the content of their" posts.

By the way, if we had reputation the way we should have, I'd have a really bad one by now. As the most vocal proponent for it over the years, I'd hope that would count for something...

By the way, if we had reputation the way we should have, I'd have a really bad one by now. As the most vocal proponent for it over the years, I'd hope that would count for something...

Nah, I'd have given you positive rep anytime you said you'd hit it.

2- There are multiple studies documenting how names influence and encourage prejudices. If this is a pilot discussion forum, some people would be given more credence and other less credence, if even on a subconscious level. It should be a forum where pilots are "judged by the content of their" posts.

We should all just have a unique user number to go with our personal uniqueness.

Snowflake 1, Snowflake 2, Snowflake 3...

We'd all know there's no two snowflakes alike and appreciate all the lovely diversity shown by our personal snowflake number. ;-)

Then we can hold a nice Homecoming King and Queen ceremony and play all those lovely childhood popularity contest games again.

It'll be awesome. And unicorns and rainbows will fly out of our butts. I'm sure of it.

There will even be Double Rainbows for everyone.

:) :) :)

P.S. if we ever have a reputation score system can I ask the site management a favor?

Please use a signed integer of at least 64-bits? I'm going to shoot for low score. And big negative numbers are way cooler than zero.

We should all just have a unique user number to go with our personal uniqueness.

Snowflake 1, Snowflake 2, Snowflake 3...

We'd all know there's no two snowflakes alike and appreciate all the lovely diversity shown by our personal snowflake number. ;-)

Then we can hold a nice Homecoming King and Queen ceremony and play all those lovely childhood popularity contest games again.

It'll be awesome. And unicorns and rainbows will fly out of our butts. I'm sure of it.

There will even be Double Rainbows for everyone.

:) :) :)

P.S. if we ever have a reputation score system can I ask the site management a favor?

Please use a signed integer of at least 64-bits? I'm going to shoot for low score. And big negative numbers are way cooler than zero.

On a really geeky level Nate...this is pretty funny.

lol It's Middle School, all over again.

All right, let's turn the tables and vote for the dumbest fake names. Anything with a Top Gun reference gets my vote. :)

Well, since the site is written in PHP on a 64 bit system, and since PHP is loosely typed, typically type wouldn't be declared for such a thing in the code by the developer, the maximum value would automatically be 9223372036854775807.

Regardless even if a developer did try to cast a type in PHP to the variable they would cast an integer which would max at the above giant number.

PHP does not support unsigned integers.

These sort of rollover issues don't really happen in the higher level languages because they're all so loosely typed. Granted that brings PLENTY of it's own problems.

Many/Most developers these days couldn't even tell you what the difference is between an unsigned or signed integer because it's mostly irrelevant in the higher level language they're working in.

9223372036854775807 seconds gives you 2.92277e11 years.
9223372036854775807 microseconds gives you 292,277 years.

Last edited:
Back