Plug and Play

Ventucky Red

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jon
If one was going to upgrade to new avionics using the same manufacturer, would this stuff be plug-and-play that is having premade connectors eliminating any special cutting and splicing, therefore, cutting down on the installation cost?

since there's like a bazillion different avionics out there, I'd think your best bet would be to check with each manufacturer for each piece of equipment you're considering.

If one was going to upgrade to new avionics using the same manufacturer, would this stuff be plug-and-play that is having premade connectors eliminating any special cutting and splicing, therefore, cutting down on the installation cost?
Certainly not with Garmin. A New Garmin GPS requires a new installation with new cabling and connectors. That is how they protect their dealers. Many of the Avidyne products are designed to be plug and play with Garmin racks. That is what I did with my airplane I swapped out the 430 with Avidyne 440 took all of 20 minutes. Same thing with the PS engineering, audio panel even quicker, 5 minutes.

Yeah, this is about as close as it will get... pretty tempting package too. Thanks for sharing
My Approach FastStack gripe is that for the newest avionics, there’s too many connections for the legacy interfaces and not enough for the newer interfaces.

My Approach FastStack gripe is that for the newest avionics, there's too many connections for the legacy interfaces and not enough for the newer interfaces.

Point taken; it would be nice to interface with what you have, but on the other hand, why not just go all in with the new stuff?

When garmin moved from the 430 to the 650, they used the same 78 pin high density DSUB connector for the main side. They could have easily used the same pin positions for an easy upgrade - but we need kabuki theater to make sure avionics dealers charge 50-100 percent of the cost of avionics to collect their service fees.

They added a p1002 connector, a 26 pin high density connector of which 21 pins are unused, for Ethernet. The com connector still uses 10 positions but hey - let’s move to a 44 pin high density connector. It’s not like we could use the same 15 pin connector for those ten.

On the nav side they moved from a 44 pin connector to a 62 but oh no. Let’s charge our users 50% of the retail cost of the hardware to have it installed.

Garmin is odious. Decent product but entirely too overpriced /overinflated and predatory for my taste. They knew full well after Avidyne that there was a market for plug and play upgrades but they didn’t give two craps about the customer - and here we are

Last edited:
When garmin moved from the 430 to the 650, they used the same 78 pin high density DSUB connector for the main side. They could have easily used the same pin positions for an easy upgrade - but we need kabuki theater to make sure avionics dealers charge 50-100 percent of the cost of avionics to collect their service fees.

They added a p1002 connector, a 26 pin high density connector of which 21 pins are used, for Ethernet. The com connector still uses 10 positions but hey - let’s move to a 44 pin high density connector. It’s not like we could use the same 15 pin connector for those ten.

On the nav side they moved from a 44 pin connector to a 62 but oh no. Let’s charge our users 50% of the retail cost of the hardware to have it installed.

Garmin is odious. Decent product but entirely too overpriced /overinflated and predatory for my taste. They knew full well after Avidyne that there was a market for plug and play upgrades but they didn’t give two craps about the customer - and here we are

I get what you're saying, but I don't think aviation is the true breadwinner for Garmin.. just look at how they market stuff on thier website.

Attachments

• upload_2023-2-10_14-32-16.png
    upload_2023-2-10_14-32-16.png
    1,012.7 KB · Views: 14
I get what you're saying, but I don't think aviation is the true breadwinner for Garmin.. just look at how they market stuff on thier website.

Of course not. I purchased Kenwood receivers for vehicles in the past that included Garmin GPS - same game played. Motorcycles and boats? Same with the zumo line etc.

That aviation is their breadwinner is immaterial. Have you seen another product line where people spend $80k-$100k per copy? How many nuvi’s does it take to add up to that? I get that people are enthusiastic about some of the solutions they sell, but it doesn’t excuse their behavior.

I see them as monopolistic and the pricing in cahoots with their dealers also demonstrates that. Garmin does everything to skim the line.

https://www.justice.gov/archives/at...conduct-under-section-2-sherman-act-chapter-2

Back