Please vote: Are you concered about your posts being seen by search engines?

See first post please and answer:

• Yes

Votes: 54 52.9%
  • No

Votes: 41 40.2%
  • No opinion

Votes: 7 6.9%

• Total voters

Greebo

N9017H - C172M (1976)
Display Name

Display name:
Retired Evil Overlord
Does the fact that Pilots of America allows the internet search engines to search and report on all of the forums (except the Spin Zone) cause you any concern?

Personally, I think it's a legitimate concern. I'm not terribly bothered by it, but I can see it giving people a bit of the willies.

Slap: In your case you should vote "no opinion" then - the others can vote for themselves if it's a concern. :)

Slap: In your case you should vote "no opinion" then - the others can vote for themselves if it's a concern. :)

No, I'm also concerned about it. Like I said, not terribly concerned, and probably significantly less concerned than others, but nonetheless concerned enough to vote "yes."

I have a strong preference for postings to be NOT searchable by google.

I strongly prefer me, and others, to operate under real names and real identities, but visibility of a forum on google strongly discourages that practice.
-harry

At this point I'm mostly concerned that we're so focussed on wether to have a private board, that we are forgetting important topics, such as looging PIC time, and treadmills :aureola:

Pete makes a valid point. We should be focusing on the important concerns, like the magenta line of death.

I don't particularly like for the forums to be open searchable.

I don't really care so I voted "no opinion" but maybe I really meant "no". I wouldn't change what I post in any case.

It is the Internet. Google brings people here. Don't put a lock on it to keep people out.

I'm not concerned about what I post being searched... I am concerned about what Scott posts being searched... I mean really do we want the Pilots of America web board comming up when someone googles Men in Pantyhose? :skeptical:

I've had it raised a few times by folks trying to locate me that have homes in a subdivision I've developed. When they saw I had an airplane, they knew I was rich and should fix something in their subdivision <g>. Actually happened!

Best,

Dave

It's the internet. I consider anything I post to be open to the world.

I've had it raised a few times by folks trying to locate me that have homes in a subdivision I've developed. When they saw I had an airplane, they knew I was rich and should fix something in their subdivision <g>. Actually happened!

Best,

Dave

You're a developer? Then you are rich!:smile:

That's what I get from the fair and balanced press that princt all the facts (and gets them right too).

(. . . not to mention spelling, eh?)

In jest, of course(before I go out to shovel the driveway, again)

HR

I understand the privacy concerns raised, however, it drives me nuts to NOT be able to google a general aviation question (ie not type-specific that I can raise with the type club) -- I hate going through my 5 or 6 forum links, remembering how search works, and then trying to figure out the answer to my question. Then I end up googling for aviation forums, and end up with 12 or more ridiculous places that I have to register at to be able to search (wtf? why?), then try to decipher if it's even a US forum or not, and whether the knowledge I gained is even relevant.

I found one of my favorite forums through a Google search. I guess it depends on what you want to do with the board, and just clearly indicate to us goons what's going on with respect to searchability.

shrug.

$0.02 from a newbie.

- Mike

You're a developer? Then you are rich!

People who own airplanes come in two categories, those few that have a lot of money, and the vast majority who may have had a lot of money but now just have an airplane.

Just for the heck of it I Googled Harley Reich(only a nickname for me). The bum had 561,000 hits. I went a bit deeper and learned there's another HR, in Vancouver, BC. He's on Facebook. That'll explain it; he's better-looking than I, not to mention some interesting looking "friends" pictured on his page.

Oh, and the one you know? Tagged with his hits is "Lawreston." With that in mind, and before, I'll just continue to be careful about what I write and how I write it. But it won't be as a page holder on Facebook.

HR

I have a concern on a few of my posts. For the most part, though, I like having it crawled by the search engines. So I vote for option (4) -- Yes on SOME posts.

I have a concern on a few of my posts. For the most part, though, I like having it crawled by the search engines. So I vote for option (4) -- Yes on SOME posts.

Not an option. The correct response would be "Yes" in your case.

A strong YES. As the MC knows, I had a serious problem with this (and I thank them again for helping.) I couldn't be happier if the search engines' access is cut off, if that is possible.

No, I always consider that what I've written can and might be seen by anyone.

Furthermore, anything written on a forum, be it in a "members only" area, or sign in area, VIP room, whatever - can be found by someone with enough desire to get to the information.

Lastly, I'm not even that fond of screen names that aren't some iteration of a real name, or at least having both login and screen names presented, with one being some iteration of a real name.

Tim

If you are writing something on PoA or any web board that you think needs to be semi-private so as to not potentially harm you if someone were to read it, then you probably should not be writing it at all on the Internet!

Holy moly I just spent so much time catching up on the 300+ post thread about a possible members-only thread that I totally missed this one till now.

I'm not a fan of everything being Google searchable, but I'd say I'm more "slightly opposed" to it than "whoa, no way." Or else I wouldn't be here.

If you are writing something on PoA or any web board that you think needs to be semi-private so as to not potentially harm you if someone were to read it, then you probably should not be writing it at all on the Internet!
Certainly, and thus the value of supporting anonymous postings in some cases.

I think the motivation for "semi-privacy" here is that when people google your name, there's no control over what appears, in what order, and in what proportion, and the googler isn't under much obligation to attempt to try to determine "what you are" beyond just glancing at a few of the first results. And if that first result happens to be a tongue-in-cheek posting about men's pantyhose, they might very well be inclined to overestimate the important of the role of men's pantyhose in your life.

Privacy is just our shield against this sort of misinterpretation.
-harry

Don't like anyone eavesdropping when I'm chatting with friends. Even if the conversation doesn't involve politics. Even if it doesn't involve swearing. Heck, even if it doesn't involve women.

I voted no but certainly would not object if the board wasn't internet searchable. All you need to do is search on something you said in a post 15 years ago. Stuff lives forever!
http://www.archive.org/index.php
Not to mention: dejanews.com
It gets worse. Stuff you never knew was posted publicly is out there.
Kind of makes you wish you didn't respond to posts after getting a taxi ride home from the local bar.

I'm not a big fan of how public the net is. It doesn't take a lot of determination to find out just who I am (thank you, FAA) but more anonymity the better, IMHO.

Amen, Scott

Back