Please read the damn letter

kevin47881

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Time to fly!
As many of you are aware, I am flying on an SI due to type I diabetes.
My current medical was scheduled to elapse April 30, 2008 and OKC would need to renew.

Without getting into specifics, I had a test done today that didn't need to be completed due to my misunderstanding of a letter received from OKC. I went to a cardiologist with the letter in hand and asked to have performed what I thought was requested.

The physician performing the test exceeded what was requested and as such, created another hurdle for me to maintain my medical. Now, read the sentence again about me handing the physician a letter with the required protocol.

Two errors were made; one, I didn't read the original letter properly and two, the physician exceeded required protocol. So, as the title of the thread states...please read the damn letter!

A huge sincere thanks goes out to Dr. Bruce for taking time this evening to explain the snafus and how to keep flying. We are truly a blessed bunch to have the good doctor assist us with keeping our wings.

Sorry, bud. Bruce (and, actually Dr. Silberman) harps on this.

DON'T let them give you ANY EXTRA TESTS! It can't help!

Send what they're asking for.

I know it wasn't your fault.

My sympathies.

Sorry, bud. Bruce (and, actually Dr. Silberman) harps on this.

DON'T let them give you ANY EXTRA TESTS! It can't help!

Send what they're asking for.

I know it wasn't your fault.

My sympathies.

I can't argue with that Mike. I've been beating myself over the head the last couple hours over misreading the letter and not being able to determine what was being done during the test.

Bruce is an asset to us all of immense value. I certainly value his advice and willingness to share with me what I'm going to have to do to regain my medical after I beat prostate cancer. We are lucky to have his counsel.

As a result of Dr. Bruce's advice, and some fine writing by my endocrinologist, I am once again in possession of a valid medical. As some of you heard while at Gaston's, the medical was faxed to me about 1 hour prior to the drive/fly decision.

Thanks again Doc!

I don't understand this. If you gave the physician written directions and he/she didn't follow them, don't they have some liability? At the very least, you shouldn't pay for those services. I've found people don't change if you don't give them strong reason to.

Best,

Dave

I don't understand this. If you gave the physician written directions and he/she didn't follow them, don't they have some liability? At the very least, you shouldn't pay for those services. I've found people don't change if you don't give them strong reason to.

Best,

Dave

The snafu was I didn't realize the doctor didn't follow the letter until the test was complete. I take as much of the blame in the situation as the doctor. Furthermore, this was a cash transaction as there was no justification for insurance to cover the expense.

The thing is...the doctor is a retired brigadier general where he held a wide range of positions from squadron flight surgeon to command surgeon. We spent a lot of time together post test and he was recommending additional testing from another physician with whom he had a relationship (not reading anything into this but rather giving full info).

Does the doctor have some liability? I'm not sure.:dunno: When we spoke about exceeding what was required (post test) he stated he wanted to know what my max was. Probably not a bad thing for one not trying to retain a medical but working with a S.I. it added one additional hoop I didn't want to have to jump through. Moreover, he stated he knows Dr. Silberman in OKC and I found no reason to rock the boat, if you know what I mean.

I guess all is well that ends well.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back