Please look at these wheels.

Gary Ward

Pattern Altitude
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Challenger1
These wheels have all the same exact numbers on them that I can see, front and back. Yet they are not the exact same. Why? TIA
IMG_3194.JPG

have all the same exact numbers
Whose exact part numbers? Cessna? One guess is various OEMs use different vendors for mfg of the same P/Ns and can usually be tracked via a vendor number.

Whose exact part numbers? Cessna? One guess is various OEMs use different vendors for mfg of the same P/Ns and can usually be tracked via a vendor number.
Yes cessna part number right out of the book.
They are both Mcauly wheels I believe? I bought them off Ebay and the picture the seller showed in his add matched my wheels. Then these came, the numbers are matching just like the add said. But the outer rim design is different. Piper style? All dimensions are identical. Are they legal to use on my plane since they are the correct part numbers for my model 172?

Are they legal to use on my plane since they are the correct part numbers for my model 172?
If the part numbers are the same out of the book, check to see if there is any aircraft serial number breaks that may explain the difference. Look for any other different number on the wheel halves. I dont recall having this issue before but talk with your mechanic or a call to Cessna tech support with all the info you can find on the wheels should get it sorted out one way or another.

Could that be a CASTING number? McCauley made several different

configurations before sort of got it right. Sorta?

Earlier 3 piece used steel, aluminum and possibly magnesium hubs.

Some had cap screws and others through bolts.

Most should be in the “ Sanford and son” collection.

IIRC the appropriate Cessna S/M addressed varying torques and techniques.

The later 2 piece wheels were much more robust.

My understanding in Cleveland bought them out.

If the part numbers are the same out of the book, check to see if there is any aircraft serial number breaks that may explain the difference. Look for any other different number on the wheel halves. I dont recall having this issue before but talk with your mechanic or a call to Cessna tech support with all the info you can find on the wheels should get it sorted out one way or another.
Thanks, I did show em to my mechanic and he says to use them since the part numbers are correct. First I though it was a cleveland since they are smooth on the outer rim like these both but say Mcauly right in the casting. The Letter and numbers are correct for my serial number 172 according to the parts book and what came off the plane.
I mocked them up and everything fits.
WOTY8518.JPG

Last edited:
There are plenty of parts in the world with the same part number that are not identical. As mentioned above, one explanation is different subcontracted manufacturers for the same OEM part. In those cases, the part is manufactured to meet some basic specs and the detailed design is left to the manufacturer. Light bulbs are a common example of this. Some electronics parts, too.

Sometimes a design will evolve slightly over time but is deemed "close enough" that the part number doesn't change, or a subcontracted manufacturer is changed and again the same part number is reused even though the part may not be 100% identical.

Back