Plastic in the fuel screen

benyflyguy

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
benyflyguy
Out 182H is in for annual. They found plastic in the fuel filter and feel it might be coming from the Fuel selector disintegrating. Anybody ever heard of that ?? Needs plugs, some brakes/rotors. Nothing major but the plastic was a bit spooky.

Out 182H is in for annual. They found plastic in the fuel filter and feel it might be coming from the Fuel selector disintegrating. Anybody ever heard of that ?? Needs plugs, some brakes/rotors. Nothing major but the plastic was a bit spooky.

I doubt there is anything plastic in the fuel selector valve...

I doubt there is anything plastic in the fuel selector valve...
They ran fuel through the filter while they worked the selector and that produced more “particles”.

not sure what design the fuel tanks are on a 182 but fuel tank sealant can look and feel a lot like plastic when it comes loose. Could be a piece of old o-ring as well.

56939664-691C-4A20-921D-93239533DC84.jpeg
not sure what design the fuel tanks are on a 182 but fuel tank sealant can look and feel a lot like plastic when it comes loose. Could be a piece of old o-ring as well.
Did have his happen about three weeks prior. I fueled up the morning before a trip. Topped off. Got hot that day. Next am I pull plane out and noticed this. The drain on that side sticks at times and will leak.(that’s getting replaced in this annual) Only thing we could think of is it got hot and fuel expanded leaked out of top of tank and ran along the inside of Wing and out here.

Judging from the pictures he just now posted, I don't think he has integral fuel tanks, but bladders. (edit: says its a 182H in OP, it has bladders unless modified with plastic tanks)

Last edited:
Quick drains leak when they get particles stuck in the seals. Have the mechanic filter the fuel he'll drain from the wings and look for particles.

When fuel expands it usually flows out the vents or the vented caps. It should never leak inside the wing.

What is that goo? It doesn't look like any fuel staining I've ever seen, or anything I've seen with leaking bladders.

Quick drains leak when they get particles stuck in the seals. Have the mechanic filter the fuel he'll drain from the wings and look for particles.

When fuel expands it usually flows out the vents or the vented caps. It should never leak inside the wing.

What is that goo? It doesn't look like any fuel staining I've ever seen, or anything I've seen with leaking bladders.

Looks like 100LL dye mixed with some bladder anti-chafe tape adhesive

What about the fuel level sensor float. Isn't that made of plastic on most planes, and don't they deteriorate with age?

The small pieces actually can see part numbers engraved on them which makes them think it’s the fuel diverter. Will keep you posted.

are they dealng with the leaky fuel bladder?
Hopefully. There are 5 of us in the club. The one guy who “runs point” with mechanic I have relayed my concerns including the potential leaky bladder issue.

Update. “Fuel drained and screened.
Took apart And removed the Removed fuel selector. Found internals were scored on valve seats. Sent to Georgia for rebuilding. 2-3 days turnaround”
This annual is taking forever. The shop is on the way out of business unfortunately. Went from 9 mechanics to 2 in a month. Can’t get new ppl in. Plenty of work to do sadly. So guys right now not really motivated to get stuff in and out.
I broke my leg week before it went in for annual and I’ll be ready to fly before the plane is!!! Frustrating.

Was the selector the source of the plastic parts in the screen?

Good question!! They think so. Not sure what that means. Funny thing is that I don’t move That fuel selector valve ever...no reason really that I can think of in a 182. I have been only flying it for last year and put majority of hours on it. I have to ask the other guys about if they even use it?.

My mechanic has a rule to shut fuel off in any plane in the hangar. That's the only time mine gets moved.

My mechanic has a rule to shut fuel off in any plane in the hangar. That's the only time mine gets moved.

I’m somewhat surprised to hear that from you. You never have trouble with fuel moving from one tank to the other when parking on an uneven surface?

Not enough to worry about, no. 10-15 gallon differential left to right isn't a problem.

Maybe the plastic is from your fuel source and not from the aircraft.

The tank outlets have strainers. That's what I referred to as finger screens earlier in the thread. They're there to keep debris in the tank from entering fuel lines.

A4E42231-D251-4B99-A8CF-13738C8F4566.jpeg E99C5B6D-5166-4B2E-B2A3-A0717262C7EE.jpeg
This is what they found in the fuel screen. Sent out the selector to have rebuilt and put back in. they fueled up and waiting for leaks. It feels hard like a seal but breaks with little effort one side has a boxed pattern. Which is hard to appreciate on a picture.

92AA2717-5D24-4730-9B8B-A8DCEFDFEF54.jpeg
This had to be replaced as well. Said who ever took it off in past didn’t know how to take it off right. The fuel sump drain-150 bucks wasted on lack of knowledge.
Stuff like this makes you want to get your **** together and learn more and assist with this stuff.

This is what they found in the fuel screen. Sent out the selector to have rebuilt and put back in. they fueled up and waiting for leaks. It feels hard like a seal but breaks with little effort one side has a boxed pattern. Which is hard to appreciate on a picture.

To me that looks like rubber from the inside of a hose.

That looks like sealant. Any update on your situation and exactly what was it?

That looks like sealant. Any update on your situation and exactly what was it?
They felt it was part of the fuel selector valve. manipulating the selector produced more debris. It has since been rebuilt. Up flying since and plane is flying great..so far! The right wing fuel drain was replaced as it was leaking. Continue to monitor. That tank seems to go through fuel faster before the replacement. Haven’t flown enough quite yet to see if still is. We thought in past that tank just pulled harder. But could have been possible fuel flow issues at the selector. Time will tell. I fact i our two hours on full tanks the other day and need to dip them before next fill to see what’s left.

Back