Plasti Dip for Yoke Handles?

Llewtrah381

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Llewtrah
The original black coating on the handles on my ‘78 Warrior are, of course, cracking and flaking off. I know I could have the yoke removed and get it powder coated and I’ve heard of people wrapping them with tennis racket grip stuff. Has anyone tried using Plasti Dip, probably brushed on (or possibly sprayed)? Seems like that could avoid the cost and hassle of taking the yokes out and could end up with a nice finish - that could be easily peeled off if it didn’t work out as desired.

I was searching on the stuff for an unrelated project and was surprised to see it being used to coat/paint entire cars and campers.

I have this wild notion that the dude who wants to plasti-dip his yokes is probably not keen on paying $140 for a pair of leather tubes with snaps.
A pair? Maybe. A piece? Nah - you pegged me. They do look nice, though.

Not saying I’d go this way - was just curious. And surprised by the positive reviews from people who have painted their cars with this stuff - which I didn’t even know was a thing.

Real leather covers sold for car steering wheels are fairly inexpensive, easy to lace on, and look and feel a lot nicer than the tennis racket type stuff... or plastidip.

I think the tennis racquet wrap looks hideous on any yoke I’ve ever seen it on. There’s cheap bastardness and there’s cheesyness. The tennis wrap is both in one.

I think the tennis racquet wrap looks hideous on any yoke I’ve ever seen it on. There’s cheap bastardness and there’s cheesyness. The tennis wrap is both in one.

coincidently, that same person also “Knows what their plane is worth” when selling. And BTW, no tire kickers and call for price.

Controlyokecovers really look crappy, the yokeup versions look nice.

I want your cast iron yokes.
They probably eat into your payload but those things are cool.

Plasti Dip on yokes = sweaty palms, hairy sweaty palms for some of you.

I’m actually considering doing plastidip with glossifier on a set of yokes

I have the Warren Gregoire covers on my Sundowner. They look great, and are easy on the hands. Love 'em.

They can be ordered with switches under the thumb. Saved me from having to drill out my yokes.

I have the Warren Gregoire covers on my Sundowner. They look great, and are easy on the hands. Love 'em.

They can be ordered with switches under the thumb. Saved me from having to drill out my yokes.
Rubber or leather?

IMG_3653.JPG

Leather. To my knowledge, that's all they sell.

I’m just impressed that no one has called them “Yolks” in this thread… yet.

Real leather covers sold for car steering wheels are fairly inexpensive, easy to lace on, and look and feel a lot nicer than the tennis racket type stuff.
What do you do about the top of the yoke? Leave it open?

What do you do about the top of the yoke? Leave it open?
Dunno, never tried it on an aircraft yoke. But it wouldn't be a big deal to trim it and stitch it over the top.

I had a lace on steering wheel cover for my '67 MGB. It was trendy then. It isn't trendy now, and hasn't been for decades.

When we were your age we used the redneck solution: black hockey-stick tape. Got your hands all black and gooey in warm weather. Cheap, though.

The PVC dip doesn't stick all that well. You'd have to get the metal really clean and dry first to have any success at all.

Dunno, never tried it on an aircraft yoke. But it wouldn't be a big deal to trim it and stitch it over the top.
Sounds kinda tricky if there's a PTT button up there

Cheap or cheesy or both, but ok for temporary, which for me is presently defined as 3+ years and counting, for now:

FB0D0892-DA60-4A03-A3FE-F12D7024651A.jpeg

I had a lace on steering wheel cover for my '67 MGB. It was trendy then. It isn't trendy now, and hasn't been for decades.
I didn't mean the lace on kind with the leather cord spiral wrapped around the outside; the ones I used on my Fiat Spiders were smooth leather with a sewn seam using waxed thread on the backide (well, the front side really, I guess) of the steering wheel, it came out looking much like any modern car with a leather wrapped wheel.

the ones I used on my Fiat Spiders were smooth leather with a sewn seam using waxed thread on the backside (well, the front side really, I guess) of the steering wheel, it came out looking much like any modern car with a leather wrapped wheel.
Shouldn't the seam be on the inside?
51xPSR1dI6L._AC_.jpg

Found another picture of the covers.

Last month's EAA Sport Aviation had a short article on how to stitch up your own leather cover. Looked a lot easier that I thought it would be. Might give it a try some time. Materials readily available at the Hobby Lobby.

I ended up taking mine to the local powder-coat place and had them done in a black satin finish. $50 and they look better than factory new.

C.

I swapped out the bow tie yokes and decided to go with https://yokeupinteriors.com/ to refinish the rams horn yokes I found. I am very happy with the results, and they were great to work with. It was about a two week turnaround. Here’s a before and after.

3CAE4AF5-38B5-4721-AC62-9DEFD190E423.jpeg

A9C537F9-4BE9-44F1-8FEE-161E413E2D43.jpeg

I just put in an order for the Warren Gregoire covers for my Arrow. I had planned to go the Yokeup route, but was growing increasingly intimidated with the costs and downtime associated with removal / reinstall. Hope I’m not disappointed, but it seemed like a reasonable middle ground… will try and remember to post before/after pics.

Back