Plans for a Holiday Flight

AuntPeggy

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
Are you planning a flight for the holidays?

We plan to return to Tulsa for a day or two and visit the youngest kids, their kids, and their kids' kids.

For Thanksgiving, we started on Wednesday, stopped in Indiana to let storms pass our hotel room, then arrived on Thursday. We made the return flight on Saturday to beat the next storm system.

Not sure what the schedule is for Christmas. Weather predictions not available yet.

...Not sure what the schedule is for Christmas. Weather predictions not available yet.

Oh they're available, just not worth looking at. Chances are I'll be on my annual Florida Christmas trip in a few weeks.

-lance

I will be flying my longest trip to date for Christmas. My plans are to depart Chattanooga Saturday morning Dec. 22nd and fly to Tucson Arizona. I haven't decided on a location for my fuel stop yet but it will most likely be in North Texas or southern Oklahoma.

I will be flying my longest trip to date for Christmas. My plans are to depart Chattanooga Saturday morning Dec. 22nd and fly to Tucson Arizona. I haven't decided on a location for my fuel stop yet but it will most likely be in North Texas or southern Oklahoma.

FYI: Kennett, Missouri (KTKX) is a good stop in VERY southern Missouri. Usually cheapest fuel in that area and a really nice newer FBO. If it's locked, just pick up the phone/intercom outside the door and it will automatically dial the police dispatcher, who can unlock the door remotely.

That has become my regular stop enroute Iowa-Alabama.

Not sure if that's really on your route of flight, but if you get diverted for weather, it's another option for you.

Not really a 'holiday' flight, but we're planning on flying from Iowa to Gatlinburg, TN for my cousin's wedding Dec. 15th. It should be Christmas'y by then.

As for a true 'holiday' trip, we're planning on going to Chicago Dec. 28-30. Probably making the trip via 3 hour drive, though. :(

We're toying with the idea of changing the flight-to-Riudoso plans to flight-to-Savannah plans (if we can find an affordable enough place to stay...). Looks like KSAV is the only place to fly into though. Is there no general aviation in that neck of the woods?

The day after Xmas I have a flight from Tulsa to San Fran, CA. I sit there for about four days. Lovely. :)

FYI: Kennett, Missouri (KTKX) is a good stop in VERY southern Missouri. Usually cheapest fuel in that area and a really nice newer FBO. If it's locked, just pick up the phone/intercom outside the door and it will automatically dial the police dispatcher, who can unlock the door remotely.

Thanks! I will keep that stop in mind.

We're going to be leaving KJWN for KIKK on 12/22 and then a short hop over to KVPZ on 12/24. Returning to KJWN on 12/27.

I really hope I can get my IR check ride done before this flight.

Will depart AMW in the 182RG this afternoon. Quick stop at MUT to pick up parents, then we're heading to GKT (Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge, TN) for the weekend. Return trip on Sunday.

Will fly from 9A1 (Atlanta area) to KGKY(DFW area) around Christmas for a few days. Will be back in Atlanta for a couple of days and then to KNEW for New Year's celebrations.

Brent, your trip sounds great. The key to such trips in the winter is optimizing altitude to get the least wind penalty westbound and the best advantage eastbound (have camera ready to take that first 200+ kts groundspeed reading on the GPS - everybody does it :D) Oh yeah, and avoid the ice.

im hoping to finish up my uncles flight review over break, in his Cherokee 140, the first airplane i ever took a ride in.

Plans to go to Tulsa are looking a lot more iffy.

gcmap[2].gif
Here is my plan so far:

3M3-H35, Clarksville, AR
H35-DUX, Dumas, TX
DUX-GUP, Gallup, NM
GUP-57AZ, La Cholla, AZ

I have two pax I will be dropping off at GUP in case anyone is wondering why I chose this route.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Last edited:
Brent, your trip sounds great. The key to such trips in the winter is optimizing altitude to get the least wind penalty westbound and the best advantage eastbound (have camera ready to take that first 200+ kts groundspeed reading on the GPS - everybody does it :D) Oh yeah, and avoid the ice.

I will absolutly have my camera in hand :yes:

Closer to departure I will pick alts depending on winds. East Bound I will be shooting for 11k to get that extra kick :D I hope I see that 200+ kts GS

Does anybody have a suggestion on a fuel stop in Middle or West AR that has a restaurant on the field? TKX in MO is a little further north than I want to go.

Thanks

Does anybody have a suggestion on a fuel stop in Middle or West AR that has a restaurant on the field? TKX in MO is a little further north than I want to go.

Thanks
Gastons has a eating place it is in the north central .

Yes, but Gaston's doesn't have fuel, does it?

I do believe they have a FS 100LL pump. I don't want to go into Gaston's because I will be at gross and it looks like there is going to be rain Saturday. I'm limiting my fuel stops to airports with approaches and hard surface runways.

I'm hoping to make a flight with my AOPA Mentor from Perkiomen Valley (N10) to Lancaster (LNS) PA for some lunch and a trip to the Pilot Shop. Have to pick up some training supplies and charts. So far, weather looks promising for Wed 26th, but we have two backup dates setup before either of us have to get back to work.

Well, we set out Friday morning, rising at 5:00 to get out before the weather socked us in. We took off under low clouds and skimmed along westward all the way to New Jersey before we did the proverbial standard rate 180 and landed at Morristown (MMU). We waited until about 10:30, then returned home. Sigh.

We'll try again when there is a break in the weather. Probably next year.

Happy (and safe) holidays to you all.

Stop instead at Lambert's Cafe, in Sikeston, SIK, in the bootheel of MO. 573-471-4261. They show up pronto when you call, take you in teh BAck door, serve you quickly and take you back to the ~4500 foot field. Very nice eating. Home of the "throwed rolls". Put yer hand up-->suddenly there's a warm roll in it!

Fuel has been reasonable there though I haven't been lately....

Back