planning solo xc#2. thoughts on KCRE?

eman1200

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bro do you even lift
Since I know this will be one of the first trips I take once I get my ticket, I thought it might be a good idea for my long solo xc. Any thoughts/tips/tricks on flying into KCRE? Is it pretty straight forward or does anyone have a reason why it wouldn't be a good solo xc destination?

Thanks and happy Friday.

I took my long XC to CRE, spent some time on the beach and then flew up the coast to KSUT then back home to GSO.

I don't see any reason not to go to CRE as a student pilot, it was straightforward back when I was training.

nice! thanks byrdman, I like the sound of coast-flying! I mean, while I'm learning, might as well get an awesome trip in as well!

Very straightforward. And if you gas up at Ramp 66, they'll let you have a very nice rental car for one hour free (although I try to put some gas in it anyway) to go get lunch in town. I also recommend getting flight following from Myrtle Beach Approach in and out of Grand Strand.

Very straightforward. And if you gas up at Ramp 66, they'll let you have a very nice rental car for one hour free (although I try to put some gas in it anyway) to go get lunch in town. I also recommend getting flight following from Myrtle Beach Approach in and out of Grand Strand.

great tip! and yeah, flight following is awesome! I was a little confused on my first solo xc, as I had flight following yet wanted to switch to an awos I was near for a weather update. I guess I can just request a quick frequency change now that I think about it, but I think I had enough going on at the time.

great tip! and yeah, flight following is awesome! I was a little confused on my first solo xc, as I had flight following yet wanted to switch to an awos I was near for a weather update. I guess I can just request a quick frequency change now that I think about it, but I think I had enough going on at the time.

Just call them up and ask to go off freq for 1 minute and that you'll report back when youre on freq again. Shouldnt be a problem.

Just call them up and ask to go off freq for 1 minute and that you'll report back when youre on freq again. Shouldnt be a problem.

That's SOP.

If something in conditions motivates you staying on frequency, you can ask Center to check weather for you. But this is not standard. I last did it when I was at too low altitude to get ATIS over the mountains before I needed to contact Tower, and I saw a haze layer in the pass that suggested a possible visibility problem (turns out it was 8SM, just fine).

most com panels allow you to listen to a 2nd freq (provided you have 2 radio's of course...I'm assuming here, sorry...) I routinely do this when I'm approaching my destination so I don't have to come off-frequency...or if I'm flying in the vicinity of a non-towered, I'll tune it the CTAF and just listen while still on with approach/tower, whatever... If I hear something on the primary I just push the button to turn off ATIS, or whatever it is I'm listening to...

Pretty easy to do...my com panel is from the late 80's and I can do it. :)

Last edited:
I'll add my vote to the pretty straightforward group. For that matter the KMYR Class C is pretty plain vanilla also if you want to try that.

I'll add my vote to the pretty straightforward group. For that matter the KMYR Class C is pretty plain vanilla also if you want to try that.

cool, thanks for everyone's input. I think I'm pretty sold on:
8A6 -> KCRE -> KSUT -> 8A6

skyvector is putting the trip at 3 hrs 6 minutes which will def put me over the 5 hr solo xc req, not to mention how sweet flying up the coast will be. I'll just be cautious around the Gamecock MOA on the way back.

Near MOA's, you can always ask the controller if the area is "hot" (in use). With flight following, they are likely to tell you. But if you don't hear from them, it doesn't hurt to ask and confirm.

I've been in there several times along with SUT no issues. Depending on when you go SUT will be dumping sky diver's, and there are helicopter tours along with a guy in a waco. Just be aware of the traffic

If you like BBQ check out the BBQ house that is about 4 miles from SUT.

Last edited:
I've been in there several times along with SUT no issues. Depending on when you go SUT will be dumping sky diver's, and there are helicopter tours along with a guy in a waco. Just be aware of the traffic

If you like BBQ check out the BBQ house that is about 4 miles from SUT.

love me some bbq!

rrmkru, I see ur in CLT, maybe I'll run into you one of these days.

love me some bbq!

rrmkru, I see ur in CLT, maybe I'll run into you one of these days.

Let me know after you get your PPL, and we can do some flying. I'm out of EQY

Trying to build time toward the commercial...finished the instrument rating in August.

Sounds fun, let us know how it goes.

The long solo XC, IMO, is way bigger than the solo. Hell of a feeling when you safely land back at your home airport:)

I used CRE all the time going up and Down the coast. I have since used MYR,the gas was cheaper the facilities are a lot newer,they have a crew car and can make overnight arrangements for you. Not much difference in either airport as you have to work approach on either airport. Cre is convenient as you can walk to hotel and a good size mall.

Back