Planning a LITERAL cross country! What would YOU take?

Shawn

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Shawn
For those that may have been following my previous thread about my Cessna 182 airplane purchase...

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61324&highlight=purchase+logic

...well, the plane checked out, inspections were done and passed, price was negotiated and is it a day away from a done deal. Only bummer is that it sits in Florida and I sit in Northern California...so a VFR cross country trip in a 1973 182p in the first week of August it is!

I am a new pilot and I have a non pilot buddy (but aviation enthusiast) that is going to make the adventure with me. I am in the preliminary stages of plotting my course but want to know from the seasoned vets...what would YOU carry with you in the plane for a trip like that. If weather is not a factor, I would hope to knock it out in two days. Foreflight says 15 hours of flight time, but that is no stops in ideal conditions. I of course will leave a few days buffer to deal with weather or other issues along the route so I am under no pressure to push the limits of myself or the plane. I trained doing marathon days of flying in the cockpit, so the hours and what to expect physically I am ready for.

Luckily plane has GPS and Auto Pilot!

I have my list in my mind, but wanna see what other come up with as essentials/must have's/nice to have's/ creature comforts to have on board!

I'd take a PLB, a homemade survival kit, my IPAD, a cell phone, plenty of water and munchies.

Same thing I always carry, two ipads, stratus, headset & spare, lots of batteries, lots of flash lights, oil - carry several quarts, windscreen cleaner, some basic tools to at least get the cowl off, tire pressure gauge, two wool blankets, parka, knit cap, handheld VHF, pee management (gatorade bottles or better), visa, mastercard, cellphone, spot (it isn't activated but it will send an SOS), fire extinguisher, shaving kit, several changes of clothes, paper towels, several microfiber cloths, soft side cooler - keep stocked with water, gatorade, etc, primary and spare reading glasses, sunglasses, pilots cert, medical, one combination minature bible and Russian phrase book, prophylactics, nylons, chocolate bars, 45 ACP pistol w/100 rounds ammo,...

* Probably requisite "Gatorade bottle" or "Little John"
* Munchies that don't make you thirsty
* Mad libs for the pax (to pass the time during the boring parts when/if the scenery gets old)
* Computer that can hold a movie and a screen big enough for you to enjoy it. I watched "Airplane I & II" on the trip to and from Florida last year. Sound was able to be put through the headset but cut out when ATC was chatting us up.
* A bag of humor and realize that you don't need to chat every moment along the trip.
* Extra batteries for everything
* Spare Credit cards (so in case your cc gets cancelled due to "suspected fraud")
* Patience.

* Probably requisite "Gatorade bottle"

If you purchase the Gatorade bottle at the store, do not purchase the original lemon-lime flavor....

(the mental penny will drop in 3...2...1...)

If you're route takes you across Dallas area, you're welcome to stop here for watering hole stop (food, leg stretch, sharing of tall tales).

...one combination minature bible and Russian phrase book, prophylactics, nylons, chocolate bars, 45 ACP pistol w/100 rounds ammo,...

"Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff."

That list recitation is even more funny if you can pull off a true Slim Pickens accent.

I'd take a PLB, a homemade survival kit, my IPAD, a cell phone, plenty of water and munchies.

A GPS would be nice also.

Sounds like a fun trip. Careful, long cross country trips are habit forming! ;)

Maybe tiedown ropes, funnel. couple rags, spare TP

If it were me:

-iPad
-iPhone
-Headset
-Spare batteries
-Extra oil
-PLB
-Sunglasses

I would consider some survival gear depending on the route of flight and time of year.

Add on at least 2 different means of charging ipad/phone. Car charger if you have a plugin for it, otherwise maybe a solar charger or aux battery. Then the wall charger.

I am a new pilot ... essentials/must have's/nice to have's/ creature comforts to have on board!"
I would suggest taking a pilot with serious cross-country experience, even a CFI. Someone with an instrument rating, current and proficient, would be nice too, just in case. New ticket, new airplane, new terrain, unfamiliar panel, ... lots of new plus a run-out engine. You'll learn from a qualified right-seater and safety will be increased as well.

Avoid the 250 hour kids that have never been anywhere.

Take one or two local familiarization flights before launching off on the homeward trek. Every time I check out in something new I am amazed at how much mental horsepower is initially consumed just looking for switches, knobs, buttons, and instruments. If you don't have any 182 time, you'll need that familiarization as well. They don't land like Skyhawks and Warriors.

This will be fun. 2 days is unrealistic, especially for your first trip, double especially if you're not instrument rated. With good weather you'll probably do it in 4.

The southern route is easy, although it will be warm!

Maybe tiedown ropes, funnel. couple rags, spare TP

good catch - I do carry tie-down straps and anchors. Also have PLB, field glasses, O2 tank. For any trip I add 12volt to 120 AC converter. Also have 1 to 3 power port and a volt meter, Zaon traffic alerter.

47 chihuahuas last time I did it.

Florida to Nc is a great trip fly early in the AM a portable GPS should be fine plan a few stops on the way and be in no rush have a good time

Thanks for all of the tips..keep 'em coming. Still have a LOT of planning and considerations to make before I make this happen.

I will be Foreflight w/Stratus2 equipped at least!

47 chihuahuas last time I did it.

...inflight snacks?

A flight plan that involves stops only at airports with good MX shops. And all of their phone numbers.

Luckily plane has GPS and Auto Pilot!

Lucky bastard. ;)

Congrats on the 182! I'm kinda partial to them, myself. ;)

Take a credit card with a large limit. You can fix anything with that either at the shop where the airplane died, or at Walmart. ;)

Be ultra cautious about weather. My first few long distance X-Cs taught me a ton about how that stuff out the window looks different in different parts of the country.

By being careful and conservative I survived as a VFR only pilot for two decades, a little over that actually actively flying. Don't hesitate to ask locals about weather. They know their local weather better than you do. Also don't hesitate to avail yourself of continuous ATC and FSS services. The iPad is great but real people also help. One briefer (granted the quality may have gone down now, but anyway...) probably saved my life when he emphasized "VFR NOT recommended!" and tool a few more minutes to convince me of why. I was having a bad brain day. He knocked some sense into me with nothing but the tone of his voice.

You'll get a lot more opinions but that one is critical. Respect the weather. The 182 will get ya anywhere you want to go just fine if you don't push weather. Let the schedule slip and be flexible. Find a nice steak place and have a meal and sleep on it if you're not sure.

More fun than playing dodge-cloud and wondering if its a good idea to be up in the air today. ;)

Write up the story each day even if you can't post it right away. Find a couple buddies who'll take your calls and look at weather maps with you for a few minutes while they're at work or ask here. (PoA didn't exist when I did it...)

And most of all... Have fun! I'm jealous!!!!

Don't forget a bunch of good music and whatever gadgets you need to be able to listen to it.

This will be fun. 2 days is unrealistic, especially for your first trip, double especially if you're not instrument rated. With good weather you'll probably do it in 4.

The southern route is easy, although it will be warm!

That's what lapse rate is for :yes:

First, even though it's gone through a prebuy, presume most system will fail, basically it's a xcountry shakedown flight. Do not trust on onboard electronics.

Bring a funnel and oil
WAC charts, flashlight, LONG tiedown lines, leatherman, handheld GPS and radio, cellphone, jerkey and h2o, sunscreen, CASH and card, pen and paper, thick coat and blanket, jumper cables if it's 12v.

Cell phone
Leatherman tool
Credit Card
Extra water if flight through desert southwest

Just ask this guy

slim-pickens-05.jpg

Water, my O2 bottle, nilla wafers, #2 screwdriver, 1/4in drive socket set 1/4-9/16 and a7/8 combination wrenches safety wire pliers and .032 safety wire

And a credit card.

Flashlight, mirror, Cessna Parts and Service manual on the laptop.

Has anyone mentioned some mountain flight training?

I have taken that into consideration and also looking for insight as to the best route to take...and by best I mean safest for me and not necessary quickest. I have had a few people basically say to head north outta Florida and just follow highway 10 all the way across the states. My though was that since I have well...zero mountain training to stay south and head for the LA basin then head north through CA steering well clear of the Sierras

I'm jealous. That sounds like a blast.

I'd pack a week's worth of what you need to camp out at FBOs, credit card, snacks, and something for passing time. Then ties downs, funnel, small tool set, oil, jumper cables, handheld transceiver, and extra chargers and cables for the electronics.

I'd take my time :yes:

A credit card and a pee bottle will help. One of my best flights was flying from California to Vermont. Enjoy it.

I have taken that into consideration and also looking for insight as to the best route to take...and by best I mean safest for me and not necessary quickest. I have had a few people basically say to head north outta Florida and just follow highway 10 all the way across the states. My though was that since I have well...zero mountain training to stay south and head for the LA basin then head north through CA steering well clear of the Sierras

I-40 is also pretty benign as far as mountain flying goes. One pass west of Albuquerque and then pretty much clear sailing through Arizona. Hang a right somewhere past Vegas and head north to home base. A 182 is a fine aircraft to cruise through the mountains. Mountain training wouldn't be applicable for the Albuquerque area.

Wish I had time available in August so I could volunteer to ride along...

Last edited:
First, even though it's gone through a prebuy, presume most system will fail, basically it's a xcountry shakedown flight. Do not trust on onboard electronics.

Bring a funnel and oil
WAC charts, flashlight, LONG tiedown lines, leatherman, handheld GPS and radio, cellphone, jerkey and h2o, sunscreen, CASH and card, pen and paper, thick coat and blanket, jumper cables if it's 12v.

I hate to say it, but that's sound advise.

I did this trip in July, but on a trip that was 18 western states in 12 days...

5 days supply of bottled water
5 days of packaged food
First Aid Kit
Fire Starting Equipment
Flashlight
Gloves
Heavy Sweatshirt - Hooded
Hacksaw
Hatchet
Hiking Boots
Hunting Knife
Mess kit
Polar Fleece
Rope
Sleeping Bag rated to -30ºF
Tarp
Thermal Socks
Twine
Winter Hat

Here's what I would want for the trip:

Time
Money
Bottle of good single malt (in case of engine out emergency)

This isn't a backpacking trip to Machu Picchu, just bring what you fly with everyday. I've flown the entire southern route you are thinking of and it should be easy flying. More importantly I would plan FUN stops at places you really want to visit. Enjoy yourself, don't plan an itinerary around cheap gas at some dead airport in some boring town. Life is waaaaaaay to short to **** this kind of adventure away. I would hit New Orleans, Austin, Santa Fe, Vegas (defiantly), etc.

I said Time because I would be DONE flying each day by noon latest. TRUST me flying over the desert southwest on an August afternoon at low altitude will be rough to super rough. Better to be relaxing by the pool with a tasty frozen cocktail any time in the PM.

ROAD TRIP:)

I did this trip in July, but on a trip that was 18 western states in 12 days...

5 days of packaged food
First Aid Kit
Fire Starting Equipment
Flashlight
Gloves
Hacksaw
Hatchet
Hiking Boots
Hunting Knife
Mess kit
Polar Fleece
Rope
Tarp
Thermal Socks
Twine
Winter Hat

Yup, forgot about the first aid kit that stays in the plane. Includes lots of sunscreen and insect repellent. I carry a substantial lock-blade knife in my pocket along with cash-n-cards in wallet. Always wear substantial footwear. Also have multi-layer dropcloth and insulated coveralls on hatshelf. I carry a bunch of stuff...

Here's what I would want for the trip:
Bottle of good single malt (in case of engine out emergency)

...so what you are saying is that the 8 hour bottle to throttle rule no longer applies if you no longer have a throttle?:yikes:

5 days of packaged food
First Aid Kit
Fire Starting Equipment
Flashlight
Gloves
Hacksaw
Hatchet
Hiking Boots
Hunting Knife
Mess kit
Polar Fleece
Rope
Tarp
Thermal Socks
Twine
Winter Hat

I'm trying to ferry an airplane, not plan a Rambo style wilderness expedition with MacGyver as my co-pilot!:no:

...but your type of adventure dose sound like fun!

Last edited:
Back