Planning 3000 mile week long flying vacation

The weather is likely to be substantially better in the Willamette Valley than on the coast. And that's where most Oregonites live, anyway.

You gotta land at KVUO. But study the local procedure ahead of time, 'cause it's weird. The 45 smells really good.

Lots of really good sightseeing around Portland. The coast is not at all the best part of it.

The weather is likely to be substantially better in the Willamette Valley than on the coast. And that's where most Oregonites live, anyway.

You gotta land at KVUO. But study the local procedure ahead of time, 'cause it's weird. The 45 smells really good.

Lots of really good sightseeing around Portland. The coast is not at all the best part of it.

East of the Cascades is generally even better odds for clear weather this time of year. Downside of the dry summer weather is increase in fire TFRs in Oregon - as well as California of course.

Crater lake is worth a look:
http://vimeo.com/80165318

East of the Cascades is also a good way to gain experience in moderate turbulence….tie EVERYTHING down. Whatever is loose is going to move.

Almost all of Oregon is under an AIRMET TANGO for moderate turbulence below 16,000 right now, but with a westerly wind, it's a good bet that there are some good wakes behind the big Cascades peaks. It's 30 knots at 9000 over there right now. That would keep me west of the Cascades.

Get a load of all the mountain waves over the Oregon and California Cascades in the current vis image (2230Z 27 June).

20140627_2215_WMC_vis.jpg

Thanks Mike,

Hopefully the weather improves or will need to plan another route to avoid heavy turbulence and serious mountain waves. I'll get a briefing in advance and plan accordingly.

Just a comment or two.
130 kts is not that slow. It is all my Apache will do and I fly the Michigan-Florida route in one day every time. So 600 miles a day should be a piece of cake.

Looking at the standing waves in that shot makes me cringe. Be flexible. The rest of your life is not defined by covering 3000 miles in that week or in going to specific places when the meteorological conditions are against you. But your eulogy could be defined by them.

Anyway, it is an adventure. Go for it. Fly safe :D

Completely agree and the trip is flexible and not set in stone. I will make the final go/no go decision based on weather conditions. I've planned either trip to Oregon or New Mexico based on these factors. I have a week to fly the 1000 -2000 mile round trip so I've intentionally added in a few days buffer for it.

Completely agree and the trip is flexible and not set in stone. I will make the final go/no go decision based on weather conditions. I've planned either trip to Oregon or New Mexico based on these factors. I have a week to fly the 1000 -2000 mile round trip so I've intentionally added in a few days buffer for it.

The funky weather in the Pacific northwest should give way to nicer conditions in the next day or two.

Do you have any interest in landing on back country grass/unimproved fields?

That's music to my ears since I'm not leaving until Tuesday. I don't think the Arrow is good for grass strips and since it's a club plane, I'm not going to risk it.

Agree in fact I'm stopping by AAA this weekend to pickup road maps for the trip. Will use these with the paper charts and highway map function in the Garmin 430 and 696 for situation awareness.

+1 Arthur,

Thanks that's what my pilot friend who sells planes for a living was telling me today the maxim I Follow Roads. The I5 goes N-S and I-80 goes E-W so that makes navigation pretty straight forward via pilotage.

600 miles a day in a straight leg 182? Are you sure that's a good idea?

Do it early in the morning, or you'll get your teeth knocked out, especially over the desert.

It's an excellent idea… I was happy flying 6-7 hours a day (had potty and food breaks) when I started doing my first long x-countries (now not so much so). I just recommend against passengers. They just don't "get it."

Advice on morning (late daylight) flying is good. Turbulence really gets tiresome on hot afternoons.

Since my dad will be on part of the trip, I'll do shorter legs to give him the needed bio breaks as I doubt he could survive a 3000 mile trip with me in the Arrow.

Back