Planing to Buy

EdSmoker22

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Ed Smoker
Good day everyone, this is my first post and I joined in hopes of connecting with other pilots/owners as well as asking for help and advice. On that topic, I am looking for some help and advice. I am looking to purchase an S-LSA. My wife and I talked it over and decided that, for the two of us, this would be the best choice. I contacted the dealer for the plane on the top of our list and he sent me an order form. Now, I am a new pilot and some of these items I am not sure if they are needed. Is it acceptable for me to post a portion of the order form here and get advice on the list?

Thank you in advance,
Ed

Welcome --
I don't think it could hurt to post it (just be sure it doesn't contain any sensitive information of yours!)

Wonderful! So, you said throw out my credit card number? :p

This is the first portion of the list I am wondering about the most and deals with the cockpit. I want to go with the Dynon option, autopilot, and it would be nice to have the ability to receive weather updates in the cockpit. The items noted are the ones I believe will be needed. My question is, am I on target? Did I select something that I really don't need? Did I miss something that is a must?

Monitors:
SV-HDX 1100/B -- selected

Modules:
SV-ADAHRS-200/A -- selected
SV-GPS-250/A GPS -- selected
SV-EMS-221/A Engine monitoring module -- selected
SV-BAT-320 SkyView System
SV-XPNDR-261-SkyView Mode S -- selected

Panels:
SV-COM-T25 + COMPANE-H -- selected
SV-Intercom-2S -- selected
SV-AP-Panel/H SkyView Autopilot control panel -- selected
SV-knob-panel/H
SV-ADSB-472 -- selected
SV-NET-HUB
EMS KIT-RTX iS
EMS KIT-RTX-Rotax 912

Edit: The servos for the autopilot, I selected already. I listed all the options for the Dynon choices so there may be some here that aren't really needed. For example, I don't belive the backup battery is necessary. Please correct me on anything you see that I've done wrong.

Gotcha! Unfortunately I'm not well read enough on most of the equipment listed here to have a view!
I'm sure there'll be an avionics wizard that comes through this forum shortly and can advise on things that would be a good trade-off.

Gotcha! Unfortunately I'm not well read enough on most of the equipment listed here to have a view!
I'm sure there'll be an avionics wizard that comes through this forum shortly and can advise on things that would be a good trade-off.
I just had a similar exchange with @ArrowFlyer86 I'm in the market for a 182 and am struggling to correlate equipment lists with asking prices.

EDIT...Meant to respond to @EdSmoker22

You definitely want the SV-320 backup battery, that will power the HDX in the event you lose ships power. The auto pilot panel is not essential, but nice to have. I have an RV-12 with Skyveiw touch and everything else on your list except the AP panel. Mine is also a 912ULS. Love my Dynon.

Have you flown the airplane you're thinking about buying? IMHO, I'd fly several more planes and get more hours under my belt to get a better idea of what kind of flying you'll find yourself doing. That will shape what plane you want to own.

The SkyView knob panel is really nice. Id want the backup battery.

You definitely want the SV-320 backup battery, that will power the HDX in the event you lose ships power. The auto pilot panel is not essential, but nice to have. I have an RV-12 with Skyveiw touch and everything else on your list except the AP panel. Mine is also a 912ULS. Love my Dynon.
How do you control the AP without the AP panel? Is the Dynon able to allow you to control the functions?

Have you flown the airplane you're thinking about buying? IMHO, I'd fly several more planes and get more hours under my belt to get a better idea of what kind of flying you'll find yourself doing. That will shape what plane you want to own.
For the type of flying, it will only be my wife and I making the occasional local run and XC. Kids are gone and extended family are in other States and Canada. This plane will only be for my wife and me as we enter our twilight years. Both of us are close to being able to retire (or we can keep working) in our Federal jobs and we have already built our forever home.

My next question is in regard to navigation and communication instruments. I am really lost here. Bearing in mind the Dynon list above, what here would you want/need?

Radio Funkwerk Filser-ATR 833-2 K-OLED
Radio Garmin GTR 225 A
Radio Trig TY 91
Transponder Funkwerk TRT 800 H-OLED
Transponder Garmin GTX 335 and Altitude encoder
Transponder Trig TT 21
Navi GPS AvMap EKP IV
Navi GPS Garmin Aera 760
Emergency position transmitter ACK E-0,4
ELT Kannad 406 – Integra AF (GPS) and remote control

It seems to me the Garmin items are not needed since I am going with the Dynon option. The ELT Kannad 406 also seems like a clear choice.

I’m not familiar with all of the equipment mentioned but I would go with a GTX345 instead of a GTX335 as the 345 has both ADSB-in and out. The 335 only has ADSB out. As another option look at the L-3 Lynx.

For radios, also look at PS Engineering products.

The Garmin aera 760 is nice but if you can, go for an IFR certified Garmin GPS 175 or newer.

Ideally all components can talk to each other and work together, so you have to think about any possible future upgrades and what works best for you.

For ELT’s any 406 should be fine, with a remote mounted in the panel.

You have the SkyView transponder selected. That takes care of transponder and adsb out.

You have the dynon adsb 472 selected and that takes care of dual band adsb traffic and weather coming in and displays on the HDX you have selected.

Transponder and adsb are done with your above list.

As far as comm radio, they should offer the integrated Dynon comm as well as a com panel. Dynon, iirc uses a trig radio.

As far as navigation...you have the HDX screen which has an internal GPS and moving map. While not certified for IFR use...that's a non issue since you're LSA

Last edited:
@mandm: I'm listing the options that the manufacturer is giving me. If it isn't on the list it won't be something I can pick. What about the Emergency position transmitter ACK E-0,4 since I need an ELT and the ELT Kannad 406 seems like a slightly more pricy option with a remote that I will lose inside a month; 2 tops. Is that a remote as in remote switch in the cockpit? Are there ELTs that do not come with cockpit switches for activation? I haven't seen a plane without a cockpit switch so when I read remote, it seemed like a remote control type situation.

@Racerx: For the com panel would that be the SV-intercom-2S? I don't see an option for a Dynon com radio but for Trig the 'Radio Trig TY 91' is an option and it seems pretty nice from what I've read. Dependable and has a small footprint in the cockpit. Or, what about the Radio Garmin GTR 225 A?

Edit: My mistake, remote control switch in the cockpit. The ACK e-0,4 also has a remote though.

@mandm: I'm listing the options that the manufacturer is giving me. If it isn't on the list it won't be something I can pick. What about the Emergency position transmitter ACK E-0,4 since I need an ELT and the ELT Kannad 406 seems like a slightly more pricy option with a remote that I will lose inside a month; 2 tops. Is that a remote as in remote switch in the cockpit? Are there ELTs that do not come with cockpit switches for activation? I haven't seen a plane without a cockpit switch so when I read remote, it seemed like a remote control type situation.

@Racerx: For the com panel would that be the SV-intercom-2S? I don't see an option for a Dynon com radio but for Trig the 'Radio Trig TY 91' is an option and it seems pretty nice from what I've read. Dependable and has a small footprint in the cockpit. Or, what about the Radio Garmin GTR 225 A?

Edit: My mistake, remote control switch in the cockpit. The ACK e-0,4 also has a remote though.
SV-COM-T25 + COMPANE-H, which you have selected is the Dynon skyview com radio with 25khz spacing and includes the knob panel in a horizontal configuration. They also offer it in a vertical configuration, as well as 8.33khz spacing The knob panel is there if you don't want to use the HDX touch screen to tune the radio in.

For reference, here is what that radio/panel. Shown in vertical and horizontal for comparison.

Id stick with all Dynon stuff unless you want an ifr approved navigator. But all the Dynon stuff integrates nicely with one another. I don't like mixing and matching unless you have to. Less phone calls to make when things stop talking to one another.

Here's a link to what you have selected for the com https://www.dynonavionics.com/vhf-com-radio-controls.php
vhf-com-radio.png

Last edited:
So, to recap what you have selected...

10" Dynon HDX with modules for engine monitoring, internal GPS, transponder with adsb out, and air data computer to give all flight instruments on the HDX.

Dynon 25khz radio with a horizon knob panel

Dynon 2 place intercom panel

Dynon autopilot control panel

Dynon adsb-472 gives you dual band traffic and weather displayed on the HDX.

The only thing I would add to your list that I'd select is the SV-knob-panel/H. This allows you to set heading/track bugs, push button barometer picks up closest altimeter setting, and altitude bug. 296686942_1080x.jpg

Awesome, thank you for that. How about the ELT? Am I on track with selecting the Emergency position transmitter ACK E-0,4?

I'll be adding the SV-knob-panel/H to my selected configuration list. It would be nice to not have to tinker with changing the right-hand knob on the Dynon SV-HDX. On the rental plane I usually fly the left-hand knob stays set to barometer. Not sure why, just seems to be some sort of social moray. I'm scared to touch it. Like, something will pop out of the panel and eat me if I tried to change it. :D

Awesome, thank you for that. How about the ELT? Am I on track with selecting the Emergency position transmitter ACK E-0,4?

I'll be adding the SV-knob-panel/H to my selected configuration list. It would be nice to not have to tinker with changing the right-hand knob on the Dynon SV-HDX. On the rental plane I usually fly the left-hand knob stays set to barometer. Not sure why, just seems to be some sort of social moray. I'm scared to touch it. Like, something will pop out of the panel and eat me if I tried to change it. :D
Don't know squat about ELT's and I hope I never need to have one used.

The baro knob can be spun to set it or pushed and it picks up the closest reported. It's nice having.

Last edited:
Here is what I installed for my experimental a few years ago for comparison. I have the ACK E-04 ELT. It does come with a remote as well that's installed in my panel.

ItemDescription
EFIS-D100D100
SV-ADSB-472
SV-ADAHRS-200
EDC-D10ARemote Compass
Backup BatteryD100 Battery Backup
SV-HDX1100/BSkyview 10" HDX
SV-GPS-2020GPS Antenna
SV-BAT-320Skyview Battery Backup
SV-COM-PANEL/HControl Panel
SV-COM-X25COM1 Transceiver
PM30004 Place Intercom
SV-EMS-220Engine Monitor
SV-XPNDR-261Transponder
SV-HDX800/BSkyview 7" HDX
SV-BAT-320Skyview Battery Backup
SV-COM-X25COM2 Transceiver
SV-COM-PANEL/HCOM Panel
SV-42SV-42 Servo (Elevator)
SV-52 Servo (Aileron)
SV-AP-PANELAutopilot Panel
SV-KNOB-PANEL (H)Skyview Knob Control Panel

Good day everyone, this is my first post and I joined in hopes of connecting with other pilots/owners as well as asking for help and advice. On that topic, I am looking for some help and advice. I am looking to purchase an S-LSA. My wife and I talked it over and decided that, for the two of us, this would be the best choice. I contacted the dealer for the plane on the top of our list and he sent me an order form. Now, I am a new pilot and some of these items I am not sure if they are needed. Is it acceptable for me to post a portion of the order form here and get advice on the list?

Thank you in advance,
Ed
Have you looked at the Tecnam LSAs?

I own the certified P2010 and have been very happy with it:

The SkyView knob panel is really nice. Id want the backup battery.

+1 make sure you have the stand alone panel that lets you quickly change heading bug and altitude bug without twisting knobs in the main panel.

What’s your flight experience? Mission?

Have you looked at the Tecnam LSAs?

I own the certified P2010 and have been very happy with it:
I did check them out. They ended up in 2nd place. The P92 had a bit better fit and finish than the one I picked, the Aeropilot Legend 600, but cost $56K more.

Back