Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Matthew

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
I made a trip into downtown KC this morning to pick someone up at Union Station coming in on the Amtrak, the #4 Southwest Chief.

I haven't been to Union Station for a long time, I forgot how nice it is inside.

They had most of the lights off when I got there, but after a little while the sun started coming into the lobby and they started turning on more and more of the lights on the Christmas decorations.

1) The clock over the lobby/waiting room hallway.
2) The old waiting room. The marble floor is interesting, there are sections that have grooves worn in the floor. That's where the old benches used to be and years and years of thousands of passengers' feet wore grooves in the floor. That clock would have been directly over my head when I took this picture.
3) Part of the lobby, right in front of the Amtrak ticket office and waiting room. We ate breakfast in the restaurant on the right.
4) The main lobby.
5) The old waiting room after they turned on more of the lighted decorations.

DSCN3563.JPG DSCN3564.JPG DSCN3573.JPG DSCN3574.JPG DSCN3576.JPG

Last edited:
That is on the route from Los Angeles to Chicago. I've taken it once eons ago. I remember seeing it. Definitely one of the nicer stations.

Amtrak isn't a bad way to go cross country if you have the time. It's cheap (or at least it used to be, don't know about these days) and it beats sitting in a bus for 8 hrs at a stretch.

That is on the route from Los Angeles to Chicago. I've taken it once eons ago. I remember seeing it. Definitely one of the nicer stations.

Amtrak isn't a bad way to go cross country if you have the time. It's cheap (or at least it used to be, don't know about these days) and it beats sitting in a bus for 8 hrs at a stretch.
That's the Southwest Chief route. One train a day, each direction, every day.

There is also the Missouri River Runner that goes back and forth between KC and St Louis.

Last edited:
That's some cool looking art deco style there.

Back