Planes the movie

Saw it yesterday in 2D with my boys. They're both young and get a little freaked by 3D, and I'm not a big fan of 3D. My boys both liked it a lot, though my 6 year old quickly picked up that the story line was nearly the same formula as the original Cars movie (which he's watched at least 20 times). I was impressed at the amount aviation jargon thrown in - to the point I think it was a bit much for a lay audience. Seriously, a reference to the Canarsie Visual to JFK? It was much better than Cars 2, with a better message, aimed at a younger audience.

Now I've got to get the boys over the Planes of Fame museum so they can see a real F-4U :D.

Jeff

One of the funnier "insiders" parts of the movie-

Anthony Edwards (Goose) and Val Kilmer (Iceman) are back....as a pair of F-18-ish jets "Bravo" and "Echo".

Saw yesterday with family. Liked the JFK controller's accent. ;)

Which was a Boston (Kennedy family) accent, and had no place at JFK :nonod:. For accuracy, that sequence should have been spoken fast enough to be unintelligible...

Which was a Boston (Kennedy family) accent, and had no place at JFK :nonod:. For accuracy, that sequence should have been spoken fast enough to be unintelligible...

Well I wasn't going to completely spoil it but... It was supposed to be JFK himself, right? Sigh.

Watched it Saturday with my wife and our eight-year-old. I thought the story could've used more work, but they did a fine job with the aviation (lots of inside jokes for pilot types), and the 3D was a nice touch.

I've seen Planes advertised as 3D.
question: is the movie exclusively 3D or are certain theaters showing the 3D version while others are showing the 2d version?

If both version are available, which do you suggest?

There are 2D and 3D versions. The local theater is showing both.

I really enjoyed the 3D. It was worth the extra bucks.

I'm taking the kids tomorrow. Are there any advertising tie ins to the movie? I was thinking that the local flight school could advertise discovery flights or a pitch for the Young Eagles program.

I'm SERIOUSLY considering painting "eyes" on the windshield cover of my 150. That should get some notice from neighborhood kids.

I saw it today.

Cute!

The control surfaces even move correctly when the planes are flying.

Duster never got a Class B clearance though.:eek:

Well done Disney:goofy:

I saw it today.

Cute!

The control surfaces even move correctly when the planes are flying.

Duster never got a Class B clearance though.:eek:

Well done Disney:goofy:

I'll say "well done" when they get rid of their stupid TFRs

I guess I'll be the one critic that wasn't too impressed with the movie. Everything about it just felt too generic. My 8yo son loved it, my 5yo daughter fell asleep. My wife rated it a 3 on a scale of 1 to 10 with Cars being a 10. None of the supporting cast had the spirit of Cars. I would say it's about as good as Cars 2 maybe a little better. They did squeeze a couple "green" lines in. One about "good old fashioned ethanol" being the main offender. With that coming pretty early in the movie I braced myself for an onslaught of brainwashing but luckily that was pretty much it.

Saw it at the Oshkosh premier with my son...really enjoyed it, but negotiating that massive crowd was interesting

AIR CHINA 981! Ah, that's a great bit of youtube JFK stuff.

I guess I'll be the one critic that wasn't too impressed with the movie. Everything about it just felt too generic. My 8yo son loved it, my 5yo daughter fell asleep. My wife rated it a 3 on a scale of 1 to 10 with Cars being a 10. None of the supporting cast had the spirit of Cars. I would say it's about as good as Cars 2 maybe a little better. They did squeeze a couple "green" lines in. One about "good old fashioned ethanol" being the main offender. With that coming pretty early in the movie I braced myself for an onslaught of brainwashing but luckily that was pretty much it.

+1. I felt the same way. Kids loved it though.

Back