Planes the movie

Texastaildragger

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Rick
How many grown people ,with no kids or grand kids , are going to see it ? I'm not.....just wondering who would:wink2:

How many grown people ,with no kids or grand kids , are going to see it ? I'm not.....just wondering who would:wink2:

I'm single with no kids, but a sucker for animated films. I expect I'll see it before it leaves the theaters.

Well, since it will premier at Oshkosh this year, I expect there will be a few non-parental types viewing it.

BTW, I had never had any interest in Cars until my grandson introduced me to it. I assume that Planes is aimed at the same demographic. As such, I think that the aviation community would be smart to encourage the sort of enthusiasm in youngsters that my grandson is exhibiting.

Well, since it will premier at Oshkosh this year, I expect there will be a few non-parental types viewing it.

BTW, I had never had any interest in Cars until my grandson introduced me to it. I assume that Planes is aimed at the same demographic. As such, I think that the aviation community would be smart to encourage the sort of enthusiasm in youngsters that my grandson is exhibiting.

Yes I agree. Go into any store and try to buy something aviation related. Even a T-shirt. You won't find one, at least I have not been able to find one. So yes it is nice to see something aviation related and not negative.

I hope this gets kids to look up the next time an airplane flies over and say...check that out or....someday that will be me up there...

I use to say that, I came across an old boss, he walked into my hangar and said...You always said that would be you someday every time you heard an airplane fly over, I thought you where full of crap. Proved me wrong.

I'm single with no kids, but a sucker for animated films. I expect I'll see it before it leaves the theaters.

Funny, I am just the opposite. I can't stand them. So no, I will definitely not be seeing it. I am also tired of big CGI effect movies like Pacific Rim. Especially when big CGI effects is about all they have to offer. Saw PR in IMAX 3D with my son. At least he liked it. I am more into "human-sized" life-action flicks.

My 12 year old daughter and I have a date planned on August 9th to go see it. I think it looks like it could be fun.

Why not put a little levity in my life any film with planes has to be fun.

I can't wait to go see it! But I'm on vacation that week so I don't have much else going on.

Family outing with Grandkids will happen. Even if they weren't going, I would. :yes:

Anything is better than "reality" TV. :D

Cheers

Last edited:
Probably. I loved Cars and still enjoy watching with my kids. Cars 2 was so full of political BS I couldn't watch it. Hopefully Planes is more like the first Cars movie.

We have two kids 13, and 8. We will definitely go see it. If I didn't have kids I would still go see it. Not much about aircraft I don't like. I do hope it inspires some kids.

Colorado Pilots Association is planning an informal "meet 'n view"

So, ****ing, Excited about this.

I plan to watch it at Oshkosh, but if not, I'll make sure to go when my friends take their kids.

That sums it up for me...except the "I'm single" part. :wink2:

My wife and I will go see it once the hype dies down a little bit. I'm pretty excited!

Monsters University: for my 5 year old. Fell asleep.

Despicable Me 2: for my 5 year old. Both me and my bride fell asleep.

Planes the Movie: for me. My kid's my alibi. ;)

Hopefully Planes is more like the first Cars movie.

I sure hope not.

Pixar's strength used to be clever, fresh and creative stories. Not stupid rehashes. Things like insect circus performers, a guy who makes a flying house (with a phenomenal whole-life-in-a-montage scene), superheroes getting sued for damages, a solitary sentient trash compactor with no dialogue for nearly an hour, and so on.

The later stuff really hasn't been up to snuff. Especially Cars 2. That was a waste of rendering cycles. And Monsters U isn't very good either. It's Revenge of the Nerds with animated monsters; not very impressive work.

Let's hope Planes is better, but the previews make it look like Cars with wings. I'll probably go see it (with son in tow), but I don't have very high hopes.

Going with the kids. They've been talking about it for months....... (me too..)

Anything is better than "reality" TV. :D

Cheers[/QUOTE]

Amen.....except Duck Dynasty...can't get enough Si:yes:

I'm going. My wife may or may not. No kids (yet, that changes in about 6 weeks). I usually wait and rent movies, but I want to see this in 3D.

That's what I meant by more like the first Cars. Something fresh, fun, good message and innocent. I fully expect the movie to be Cars with wings. I just don't want it to be Cars 2 with wings.

The whole life in a montage in Up had me choked up I have to say. Wall E was their first foray into what I felt was too political for the intended audience.

Oh and to be fair Tex Avery already did Cars and Planes

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I'm going. My wife may or may not. No kids (yet, that changes in about 6 weeks). I usually wait and rent movies, but I want to see this in 3D.

Get a 3D tv. I recommend passive 3d. That's what I did when the kids situation changed like your will. Used to go to the movie theater at least every other week before that - guess what, no mas when that kid shows up :)

I'll watch some of it when it appears in front of me on the couch for sure.

A cropdusting plane that's afraid of heights?
That's absurd. That's anthropomorphising a simple mechanical device. Now if it was a more complex device like a B787 I'd find it more plausible. Those things have already shown a fear of flying.

Watch a crop duster flying under the power lines and hopping hedge rows and it is apparent they are very afraid of heights....

Get a 3D tv. I recommend passive 3d. That's what I did when the kids situation changed like your will. Used to go to the movie theater at least every other week before that - guess what, no mas when that kid shows up :)

I've been reading about how 3D TV/movies is not recommended for developing brains. Hell, I don't generally like watching 3D movies, but this one will be an exception.

I've been reading about how 3D TV/movies is not recommended for developing brains. Hell, I don't generally like watching 3D movies, but this one will be an exception.

Avatar was the first movie in a long time before and since that was worth paying the extra dollars for 3D experience.

As someone that has worked in the 3D graphics field before, I find it stunning that anyone would want to use one of those for more than several minutes for fun. All it takes is a LITTLE mistake and you have some serious fatigue, and in some cases, motion sickness, disorientation, and the like.

If you want to make it bearable, you have to make it very subtle. And then, there isn't a whole lot of point.

Oh, I wasn't talking about the little ones - no TV for them just yet, 3D or otherwise

I've worked with 3D modeling for the better part of my life, and find the 3D as provided by Real3D and our LG 3DTV quite enjoyable. IMAX, on the other hand, not quite always. Also hate the "converted" 3D. That's just cruel. Native things like cartoons are a blast though.
I've seen people getting headaches etc from 3D so YMMV.

Oh, I wasn't talking about the little ones - no TV for them just yet, 3D or otherwise

I've worked with 3D modeling for the better part of my life, and find the 3D as provided by Real3D and our LG 3DTV quite enjoyable. IMAX, on the other hand, not quite always. Also hate the "converted" 3D. That's just cruel. Native things like cartoons are a blast though.
I've seen people getting headaches etc from 3D so YMMV.

Even if I don't use the 3D much, I really like my 3D TV.

We needed a new TV anyway so we sprung for 3D, really wasn't much more money.

Back