Planes the movie

Why do I suspect in ten years we'll have some medical announcement that early 3D TVs are harmful to young eyeballs developing...?

There's a really cool 3D thing called "outdoors". :)

Everyone likes the idea of airplanes as an abstract idea on a screen. Let a real one fly over their heads and it becomes spoiled rich people making noise and polluting the air. All the same, maybe I'll paint a cute face on the nose of the pawnee and see if the neighbors stop bitching.

Why do I suspect in ten years we'll have some medical announcement that early 3D TVs are harmful to young eyeballs developing...?

You don't have to wait 10 years, they're already saying it. It's not so much the eyes, but around brain development, spatial awareness, and some visual pattern recognition "stuff".

I bought a 3d TV a few years ago and never really used it. Kids weren't even that interested. Sold the TV with the house and bought a non 3d TV to replace it.

I have every intention of seeing it and taking my two sons and my daughter to it. My son has been absolutely in love with Cars since he saw both movies. I'm hoping the same passions for airplanes comes with watching Planes.

There's a really cool 3D thing called "outdoors". :)

We need to have a "LIKE" button for statements like this. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Our two kids (4&7) have been bugging us to take them to Oshkosh for a couple of years. We always leave them with grandma. The movie this year seemed like the perfect reason to take them. We loaded up the camping gear and car seats and left early yesterday morning for Oshkosh. Spent the day at kidventure, ate supper and headed to the theatre early to get a seat. We got to the theatre 1 hour early to find it already overflowing. By the time the movie started security was turning people away because there just wasn't anywhere to put them. I wish I knew for sure how many people attended, but my guess is it exceeded 5,000.

After sharing all those logistics, I'd say it's worth seeing for everybody. It was enjoyable and entertaining. 100% aviation.

Best pic I've seen all week:
Planes_watching_Planes_at_Oshkosh_2013.jpg

Just got back from watching the official movie. I'll try not to spoil it but it was very cute! I didn't watch it in 3D but from what I can tell the scenes would have made it worth it. They did a great job on the music in my opinion and some of it reminded me of the One Six Right theme. I will warn you that some of the previews were not in the movie but it still had some good heartwarming moments. If I had no interest in airplanes at all I would have rated it about what I would have Cars (about a 3 out of 5) but I do so I'd rate it about a 4 for a missing scene I had hoped was in the movie and not enough lead up to the actual plot but for a great theme, music, attempt at realism (moving airplane parts in the right direction and you can figure out what airplane they represent) and it's a movie for the whole family. They got pretty creative with the background. See how many airplanes you can pick out. Mountains are B-17s, birds are gliders, an airport is in the shape of a plane, etc. ....oh and to top it off, the racing try outs were in Lincoln, Nebraska where I'm based!! Did not expect that one but sorry Lincolnites, it doesn't look a thing like LNK.

Going to see it tomorrow at 10:20am with my wife, 2 sons (5 & 2) and another 5 year old.....I'm excited :)

Went and saw it his evening. Definitely worth it and a lot of fun. Good summer kid movie.

Saw it last night at an early screening.. or at least I think it was. There were only about 10 of us in the theater but today it was sold out (according to Fandango). I give it 5/5. It was pretty accurate, really cute and just a good movie. I'll probably see it again even.

Our two kids (4&7) have been bugging us to take them to Oshkosh for a couple of years. We always leave them with grandma. The movie this year seemed like the perfect reason to take them. We loaded up the camping gear and car seats and left early yesterday morning for Oshkosh. Spent the day at kidventure, ate supper and headed to the theatre early to get a seat. We got to the theatre 1 hour early to find it already overflowing. By the time the movie started security was turning people away because there just wasn't anywhere to put them. I wish I knew for sure how many people attended, but my guess is it exceeded 5,000.

After sharing all those logistics, I'd say it's worth seeing for everybody. It was enjoyable and entertaining. 100% aviation.

I was there too--EAA claimed 15,000 people in total. They opened the gates at 5:30 so you could get in and put chairs down, then you had to have one person for every four chairs you were "holding". Within a few hours they were full up and only let in people who had already put chairs inside and left for awhile, and even then you had to call your person who was inside and have them come up and identify you so they'd let you inside. They also had security folks wearing night vision equipment facing the crowd, not the screen, scanning for people recording the movie. They were very afraid of "leaks" or pirating. It was pretty crazy. But the movie, I enjoyed the movie, and so did my daughter.

How many grown people ,with no kids or grand kids , are going to see it ? I'm not.....just wondering who would:wink2:

I was there for the first show (only about 20 - 30 people in the theater), saw it in 3D.

I enjoyed the heck out of it. LOTS of injokes!

One major difference between this and Cars is the level of detail. Everything in Cars was generalized, but in Planes they seemed to really have paid attention -- no surprise, there are aviators on the crew. There is a visible difference between the style in which the aircraft are done and the ground vehicles (they have the same generic Cars look to them).

Something else that I noticed is that the vast majority of the names in the credits are from India. Maybe that accounts for the different look and feel.

oh and to top it off, the racing try outs were in Lincoln, Nebraska where I'm based!! Did not expect that one but sorry Lincolnites, it doesn't look a thing like LNK.

Hate to break it to you, but ag planes don't talk, either. ;)

Pixar trailers have a lot of stuff done just for the trailers. Sometimes the trailer has NOTHING from the movie except the characters (the "Outer Magnolia" trailer for "Monsters, Inc" comes to mind, as does the "Some Planes" trailer for this film). I personally prefer that over the ones which show or spoil the best parts of a film.

I heard 15,000 saw the show.

I saw them setting this shot up on Tuesday evening of Airventure. Shot from man lift. It's a great photo, but seeing all the vintage aircraft at ground level with their noses angled up at the screen was even more endearing to me (notice all the taildraggers). Made them appear to be anticipating with "rapt attention" what was about to be on the screen.

Best pic I've seen all week:
Planes_watching_Planes_at_Oshkosh_2013.jpg

I enjoyed the heck out of it. LOTS of injokes!

No kidding! "Ow. That won't buff out."

Saw it in 3D this afternoon. Worth the 3D. Lots of good detail, including things like properly moving ailerons.

Not too great character development or writing. Lots of stereotypes. Definitely a Disney film rather than Pixar.

We rented out a room in our terminal building Friday for a 4 year old's aviation themed birthday party. After the party, they were going to see "Airplanes". I let the kids all climb into my Cherokee (2 at a time) and play a little. Kids had a great time. Maybe one or two will catch the spark.

Saw it today an thought it definatly lived up to the hype. Pretty fun....

Story in the local paper a couple of days ago about a crew from the movie spending 3 days at the USAF Museum here collecting info and visiting the restoration facilities. The crew leader said they had direction to make the planes accurate so they were very interested in design details of "older aircraft".

Cheers

I was there too--EAA claimed 15,000 people in total. They opened the gates at 5:30 so you could get in and put chairs down, then you had to have one person for every four chairs you were "holding". Within a few hours they were full up and only let in people who had already put chairs inside and left for awhile, and even then you had to call your person who was inside and have them come up and identify you so they'd let you inside. They also had security folks wearing night vision equipment facing the crowd, not the screen, scanning for people recording the movie. They were very afraid of "leaks" or pirating. It was pretty crazy. But the movie, I enjoyed the movie, and so did my daughter.

Laura, it's great to see you posting here! :yes:

I plan to take my grandkids in Atlanta to the movie in a few weeks. Glad to hear that you and Kaylee liked it. :)

I'm taking the kids tomorrow. Are there any advertising tie ins to the movie? I was thinking that the local flight school could advertise discovery flights or a pitch for the Young Eagles program.

I've seen Planes advertised as 3D.
question: is the movie exclusively 3D or are certain theaters showing the 3D version while others are showing the 2d version?

If both version are available, which do you suggest?

Laura, it's great to see you posting here! :yes:

I plan to take my grandkids in Atlanta to the movie in a few weeks. Glad to hear that you and Kaylee liked it. :)

When will you be in Atlanta? I'm sure we could round up a few locals to meet up.

question: is the movie exclusively 3D or are certain theaters showing the 3D version while others are showing the 2d version?

It's available in both.

I wanted to see the 3D version, but my wife hates the glasses, so we saw the regular. I may take my little boy to see the 3D version...my 20 year old pilot little boy! We could go right after we move him into his college dorm on Tuesday in preparation for his junior year at UND! :wink2:

I saw it today with my 7yo who loved it. But I think the original cars was better. It needed a mater IMO.

When will you be in Atlanta? I'm sure we could round up a few locals to meet up.

Dave, I'm not sure yet. Waiting for my son to get back with me. If I have time this trip to meet up, I'll give you a holler! :)

Dave, I'm not sure yet. Waiting for my son to get back with me. If I have time this trip to meet up, I'll give you a holler! :)

Great. The Atlanta folks haven't gotten together in a while, seems like a good time to do it.

I saw it with my six year old granddaughter this weekend. I loved it. She was bored by it.

I was really impressed with how much fairly accurate aviation dialog the movie contained, most of which must have flown right by the lay audience.

For example, one of the F-18s tells a race plane 'no bingo bases out here [over the Pacific Ocean]'. Dusty the crop duster is given a pretty real sounding clearance into JFK at one point, and any weekend warrior who has flown a bug smasher into a real busy hub airport has to relate.

I'm going to buy the super Blu-ray edition when it comes out.

Back