Plane runs off runway in Toronto - bursts into flames

I was reading one of the on line news stories (can't remember which one) but they quoted this female passenger (Dalton, Dunlop???) that said she thought the cabin attendants did a lousy job by basically tossing them out of the plane into the weather and leaving them there (wish I could find the story for her exact quote).
As I read that I thought, Gee lady, maybe next time they'll leave your sorry, ungrateful a$$ on the plane so your friggen clothes don't get wet.

I hope she comes to realize that these people saved her life. And the next time I get on a commerical plane and I'm trying to listen to the attendants give their briefing (yes, I listen EVERY time and I read the card too) and the jerkoffs around me are yapping away, I'm gonna stand up and yell at them to shut the f*&^ up and listen, because if this planes crashes I want a fighting chance to get out alive, and not be stuck behind their panicing, confused, clueless behinds which are blocking my way out.

DeeG said:
I'm gonna stand up and yell at them to shut the f*&^ up and listen, because if this planes crashes I want a fighting chance to get out alive, and not be stuck behind their panicing, confused, clueless behinds which are blocking my way out.

Will you tell me which flight? I want a ticket! :goofy:

Missa

Seems I recall you cannot request exit door seating... but you can ask for an aisle seat near one? I don't airline a lot.

Generally any more, if you buy your ticket at an airline with online seat selection (or on a carrier that allows it with an e-ticket), you can self-select exit row seating when you print your boarding pass online - sometimes even earlier.

My wife flies Continental a lot, and she always grabs the exit row seats with the extra legroom by doing the online boarding pass. You can usually do it up to 24 hours in advance of the flight!

MSmith said:
They're saying that the speeds were:
Touchdown 160mph
and that's 133 kts, just about right.
Also, thrust reversers were deployed on at least 3 of 4 engines - the 4th engine was too damaged to be able to tell.
"Your system has suffered a fatal error. Would you like to re-boot?"

Let'sgoflying! said:
Seems I recall you cannot request exit door seating... but you can ask for an aisle seat near one? I don't airline a lot.

Let me guess, the TSA/DHS would arrest you for asking for that seat nowadays.

I rode on a few airliners way way long ago but they did let me request a wing window seat at the emergency exit. (They actually let me swap with someone else on the return flight to get that seat) I figured I would have that exit open and clear much quicker than some panicky mom with kids type. Then I'd help or run as the situation dictated.

My analysis of the whole P121 thing: Yetch. If I want to fly somewhere, the plane is just going to have to wait for me to get to the airport before it can depart...something to do with the pilot not being in the plane if I'm not there...

Mark, I'll repeat. Your fixation on crashes adds nothing to the discussion. You said that there was one. Fine. Your subsequential posts added nothing. Report it, fine. Post 20 times afterward, not so fine.

My experience with exit row seating is that the airlines I've flown on recently won't let you book those rows online, but you can get them at the airport. At least for these airlines, they want to look at you first to make sure you're physically capable and old enough (I believe you must be at least 15 yrs old to sit in an exit row on US carriers).

fgcason said:
Let me guess, the TSA/DHS would arrest you for asking for that seat nowadays.

Why? Terrorists like exit rows??

I fly >100,000 miles/yr on United and always request exit rows (if I can't get an upgrade to the front cabin) and usually get them. A quick exit is one of my reasons (and I ALWAYS have an Evac-U-8 smoke hood in my briefcase; and another in my flight bag, and one more that resides in my T182). But the main advantage is legroom. So far, TSA and the air marshals have left me alone. And I just came home from 2 flights on Delta, requested and got exit rows on both - and not by any means a premier mileage customer on that airline.

Regards-- Hunter

Jeff Oslick said:
My experience with exit row seating is that the airlines I've flown on recently won't let you book those rows online, but you can get them at the airport. At least for these airlines, they want to look at you first to make sure you're physically capable and old enough (I believe you must be at least 15 yrs old to sit in an exit row on US carriers).

I book my exit seats online. No problem on United; and with admittedly limited experience, so far no problem on Delta.

Hunter

RotaryWingBob said:
Mark, I'll repeat. Your fixation on crashes adds nothing to the discussion. You said that there was one. Fine. Your subsequential posts added nothing. Report it, fine. Post 20 times afterward, not so fine.

I don't have a clue why this is bothering you so much, but I'll listen to the majority who have spoken in favor of my posting style and in favor of me continuing to do so.

AdamZ said:
I first heard the report on KYW New Radio ( Anthony does that make you home sick for cheese steaks, Tastykakes and Soft Pretzels w/ Mustard ?)

No, but if you mentioned crabs, I would probably cry. :)

MSmith said:
I don't have a clue why this is bothering you so much, but I'll listen to the majority who have spoken in favor of my posting style and in favor of me continuing to do so.
Mark, my point was that anyone interested needed only your very first post, because they would then go to fnn or whereever to get details.

Now they're focussing on the theory that the pilot landed long. The Airline Pilots Association is complaining that the runway is too short and/or doesn't have safe overrun as recommended by the ICAO.

Reportedly the lightning theory is being dismissed.

(Reuters Article)

RotaryWingBob said:
Mark, my point was that anyone interested needed only your very first post, because they would then go to fnn or whereever to get details.

Agree. Every time there is an accident we get way too many posts.

MSmith said:
Now they're focussing on the theory that the pilot landed long. The Airline Pilots Association is complaining that the runway is too short and/or doesn't have safe overrun as recommended by the ICAO.

Reportedly the lightning theory is being dismissed.

(Reuters Article)

It's important to look closely at all possible facets in these accident scenarios keeping in mind that each entity involved will most likely say whatever they think they can get away with to minimize their fault, if any. It takes forever when they're not cut and dry cases and involves a lot of dialog and investigation to try to find the truth.

Do we have exact weather conditions at Toronto when the plane landed? This has gotten discussed somewhere else I post and I want to get more details. :)

Back