Plane runs off runway in Toronto - bursts into flames

MSmith

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mark Smith
CNN:
A passenger jet burst into flames after running off the runway at Toronto Airport, Canada. Details soon.

About 3:50pm, plane landing in T-storms skidded off runway.

200 passengers.

(from ABC)

Air France plane attempting to land 2 hours after airport grounded due to severe T-storms.

Toronto-Pearson airport.

Live video shows flames and smoke from fuselage

Toronto police report passengers saw flames from window (very confused report on ABC News Now)

Paris to Toronto flight. Gate agent states it's an A340. From Reuters.

Police reports Air France A340 landing at 4pm skidded off runway, some casualties were picked up walking on highway adjacent to runway - Peale police

Landing 24L from Paris. Air France flight 358 departing for Paris? from Paris?

Witnesses say they saw last 1/3 of plane fall back in flames and almost detach. Fell into gully off runway.

Now, it's flight 358 TO Paris departing Toronto. Reportedly there was a ground stop in place due to severe weather since noon.

Canadian authorities state they do NOT believe that there were any fatalities.

I think ABC is wrong - this was a flight TO Toronto.

Witness reports plane landed normally, was struck by lightning, lost power and burst into flames - CTV

(This witness sounds like one of us)

CTV - 291 passengers and crew - at least 60 escaped - unconfirmed.

Geez - that looks really bad. CNN actually used the term "Get-there-itis."

They have one reporter that I respect, and he's the guy that's been the source of all their information for the Discovery Shuttle, and now for this crash. Either he is a pilot, or he'll do whatever is necessary to get the information that actually pertains to the news. I like him. I'll have to get his name.

This brings out the stupididy in talking heads that are trying to fill airtime.

I actually heard "It was a dark and stormy day"....

Geeeezzz

The guy's name that I was thinking of is Miles O'Brian. I guess he is a pilot. Very impressive of CNN to have him on their staff.

Oh - and I'll fill MSmith's shoes here:

CTV - Over 300 Passengers, all escaped, some with serious injury.

Mark, with all due respect, I wish you'd stop fixating on crashes. You made something like 17 posts, which had nothing to add to what we could get on Fox.

Plus, you missed the only one which interested me, the apparently successful autorotation of one of Doug's helicopters at KVAY...

Lesson of the day from the School of Hard Knocks:

What is it that keeps getting said around here?

Better to go off the end at 20 kts under control than to come up short and go nose in out of control at 60 kts.

All walked away...rattled good but generally in one piece.

Q.E.D.

RotaryWingBob said:
Mark, with all due respect, I wish you'd stop fixating on crashes. You made something like 17 posts, which had nothing to add to what we could get on Fox.

The news media actually seems sad that there were no casualties. They seem incredulous that anyone could survive.

Amazing story -- great work by the pilots, obviously, but also an amazing job by the flight attendants, who evacuated the entire plane full of passengers in minutes. The airline should be very proud of their team.

Elizabeth

RotaryWingBob said:

Plus, you missed the only one which interested me, the apparently successful autorotation of one of Doug's helicopters at KVAY...

I'm not fixating on crashes. I made a lot of posts here, because that's the fastest way to get information out (as opposed to re-editing a single post) - something for which I've been thanked and praised by the folks with little news access at work.

I suggest that you take a look at everything that I've posted here. I think you can do that from Members List.

Oh, and I didn't even hear about the autorotation at KVAY. This Toronto crash made the major news media - the autorotation didn't (and I didn't hear about it at the club on Saturday).

Thanks, Mark. But I am curious about your comment of new posts vs edit the original? Not sure what you mean about new posts being quicker? Are you just referring to numbers of keystrokes involved or something else I'm missing?

If I edit an original post, I don't believe it shows as updated in the Thread list for the Hangar Talk forum. I've added info, but nobody knows it.

Adding a new post does trigger that flag.

I could be wrong.

So by faster, I mean for others to see new info.

EHITCH said:
Amazing story -- great work by the pilots, obviously, but also an amazing job by the flight attendants, who evacuated the entire plane full of passengers in minutes. The airline should be very proud of their team.

Elizabeth

I respectfully disagree. They should have not been there, bonehead decision to put themselves in that position to begin with. Flight attendants, yes, good job. Pilots, revocation action.

N2212R said:
I respectfully disagree. They should have not been there, bonehead decision to put themselves in that position to begin with. Flight attendants, yes, good job. Pilots, revocation action.

Ed. I totally agree. They should have diverted or went into a Hold until the weather cleared. This is said with ALL the qualifiers of a Monday morning quaterback, but it sounds like the flew right into a T-storm over the airport.

Let me add one thing about the Media:
I first heard the report on KYW New Radio ( Anthony does that make you home sick for cheese steaks, Tastykakes and Soft Pretzels w/ Mustard ?) They patched in to Canadian News who kept reporting it was either a 727 or a 737 in response to which I said yea right its probably an Airbus! come on huge difference between the two. Then last night CBS reported it as an Airbus 34 ( 34 or 340 its all the same to them)

However I actually have to give CREDIT to the ABC morning show this AM The talking heads actually kept their mouths shut and bought on an Aviation Expert WHO KNEW WHAT HE WAS TALKING ABOUT. The guy was competent, and gave accurate info and even talked about a lot of the misstatements folks make when describing plane crashes ie how most folks minds play trick with them and will relate smoke or fire coming from a plane before it crashes when there was none. I heard something like 40% of the people on this flight stated there was smoke or fire before the crash but there was none until the plane went off the end of the runway. So KUDOS to ABC.

I have to disagree with the negativity towards Mark. I think he's just rushing to post news. Many times, I see his post and turn on CNN right away to see what's going on. If it weren't for Mark, then I wouldn't have known.

I say thanks!

AdamZ said:
The talking heads actually kept their mouths shut and bought on an Aviation Expert WHO KNEW WHAT HE WAS TALKING ABOUT. The guy was competent, and gave accurate info and even talked about a lot of the misstatements folks make when describing plane crashes ie how most folks minds play trick with them and will relate smoke or fire coming from a plane before it crashes when there was none.

Was that perchance John J. Nance? He was a pilot for Braniff before they went down and I think he is an American pilot if he isn't retired by now.

Greg Bockelman said:
Was that perchance John J. Nance? He was a pilot for Braniff before they went down and I think he is an American pilot if he isn't retired by now.

Not sure Greg. I only caught the tail end of the segment. My wife came running into the Bedroom and shouting check this out this is what you should do, ( as in be an expert comentator for local New on Aviation related issues) and turns on the T.V. I guess her suggestion goes to show that anyone who knows just a smidgeon more than you in a subject is an expert, Ha Ha.

Anthony said:
The news media actually seems sad that there were no casualties. They seem incredulous that anyone could survive.

Yeah, that ticks me off. :mad: It was all over the news yesterday, but then nobody died and today it's not even mentioned anywhere. They had a ton of stories about it before they knew nobody died, and then there was the "nobody died" story and that was the end of it.

Mark Smith's new moniker

You shall henceforth be known as Mr Disaster.

---Airfrance Fly Boeing? BWAHAHAHAHAHAH-----

They're saying that the speeds were:
Touchdown 160mph
Off the runway 95mph

Also, thrust reversers were deployed on at least 3 of 4 engines - the 4th engine was too damaged to be able to tell.

They're looking at braking and steering systems.

(Reuters Article)

Back