Plane Reserved - Where Should We Fly?

kimberlyanne546

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Kimberly
I have a question for everyone:

I am taking the day off this Friday (so if planning is needed I should do that tomorrow night). I have the 172 reserved all day Friday from 9am - 5pm (they are very laid back at this place and nobody had the plane anyways).

I have a very experienced pro pilot coming from out of town (haven't asked his permission to do so, or else I'd post his name on here). This pilot is the reason I got checked out in the 172 - I knew he was coming in September and he has MANY hours in a 172 so that will be good.

I called the pilot today and said "what do you want to do / where do you want to go?"

He replied with "No plans - I just want to fly."

So . . . . what do we do?

I've done the Bay Tour (twice, once at night) already.

Everyone keeps saying I should go to a new airport each time I fly.

Also, I've never flown anywhere to do something (lunch, for example).

Another idea: mountain flying / pointers from him if he's willing. I want to go to Sierraville this year with passengers in the 172 (sooner the better). Even though it will not require a "high altitude checkout" since the elevation is less than 5,000 feet on the runway, many people have suggested I do mountain flying for the very first time with an experienced pilot by my side. If I don't land at South Lake Tahoe (over 5K) I am not breaking my agreement with the flight school. Many of these destinations, with traffic, would normally take 5+ hours by car and I was thrilled to discover they might take less than 2 hours in a 172 from O69!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, and keep in mind coastal destinations are "out" if there is a marine layer.

Another idea is the complex airspace in the Bay Area such as landing at our class C airport and working around / through the surrounding Bravo. That and the mountain flying are two things I could use guidance on.

Kimberly

You'll have to make this decision every time you open the hangar or sign the rental log.

Some times it's best to just go fly -- take off, head it in sorta that direction, and fly.

:dunno:

You'll have to make this decision every time you open the hangar or sign the rental log.

Some times it's best to just go fly -- take off, head it in sorta that direction, and fly.

:dunno:

True but I think I should still practice my cross country skills / planning.

I passed the checkride in August and all my flights so far were either planned by someone else or we sort of "just flew" like you said.

Kimberly

True but I think I should still practice my cross country skills / planning.

I passed the checkride in August and all my flights so far were either planned by someone else or we sort of "just flew" like you said.

Kimberly

Then that starts with an objective and backwards plan from that.

Recommendations are fine, but the ball's 100% in your court now. Pilot in Command and all that....

:wink2:

By the way - I do not know if he will read this thread so I do not want to suggest that he volunteered for an instruction session.

I was simply brainstorming ideas.

For all I know, we may simply fly somewhere from O69, grab lunch, then fly back to O69. And even that would be perfectly fine with me.

I just thought I'd ask the local pilots / pilots who have been here what a "great flying day" would be if they had the day off and could do anything in a 172. I'd like to limit my total flying time to no more than 4 hours for the whole day, maybe less.

Of course I am PIC and can open a sectional and plan a flight. That does not mean I've actually been to those places, had lunch there, experienced any of it. I just thought I'd find out what people liked the best.

I have a question for everyone:

I am taking the day off this Friday (so if planning is needed I should do that tomorrow night). I have the 172 reserved all day Friday from 9am - 5pm (they are very laid back at this place and nobody had the plane anyways).

I have a very experienced pro pilot coming from out of town (haven't asked his permission to do so, or else I'd post his name on here). This pilot is the reason I got checked out in the 172 - I knew he was coming in September and he has MANY hours in a 172 so that will be good.

Kimberly

Go to the mountains. Fly to Tahoe. It's time you learn safe altitude operations. Living in California you need to know mountain ops.

In the air. Flying a plane in the ground is very difficult.

Go to the mountains. Fly to Tahoe. It's time you learn safe altitude operations.

I can't land there, it would break my agreement.

The other flying school at my airport doesn't have any such agreement but to get checked out in their 172 would cost at least $300 - $400 I'm guessing - all said and done - and I doubt they'd be as loose about booking, payment, after hours access, etc. as my school.

The exact wording of my rental agreement is this:

Pilot Requirements:

1. File copy of pilot certificates. & current medical certificate.

2. High-altitude checkout prior to flight to airports above 5,000 ft. MSL

3. Notify us promptly in event of an emergency landing.

4. Operate aircraft in accordance with governrnental regulations that apply to flight and aircraft operation.

In the air. Flying a plane in the ground is very difficult.

Glad to see you are in such a helpful mood today. I'll try and remember this suggestion on Friday, air = good and ground = bad. You're a life saver.

Another idea: mountain flying / pointers from him if he's willing. I want to go to Sierraville this year with passengers in the 172 (sooner the better). Even though it will not require a "high altitude checkout" since the elevation is less than 5,000 feet on the runway, many people have suggested I do mountain flying for the very first time with an experienced pilot by my side. If I don't land at South Lake Tahoe (over 5K) I am not breaking my agreement with the flight school. Many of these destinations, with traffic, would normally take 5+ hours by car and I was thrilled to discover they might take less than 2 hours in a 172 from O69!

Kimberly -- I second the vote to head to the Sierras. But I wouldn't suggest making Sierraville your first stop. It's a relatively (compared to others in the area) short and narrow strip with "severe cracks in pavement". Also, don't sell 5K' short. I was suprised the first time I flew to the area (Nervino at the top end of the valley) how fast the plane seemed to be going over the ground -- which makes sense but not something I had read about regarding mountain flying. The pattern went by much more quickly.

Have fun,

Sam

Go to the mountains. Fly to Tahoe. It's time you learn safe altitude operations. Living in California you need to know mountain ops.

Also, I posted this on another thread and a pilot warned:

"Kimberly

While Sierraville is "only" at ~5000' there are plenty of 8000+' mountains around there, and you have to cross the ridge somewhere (follow HW 80 up to Truckee is my recommendation) so make no mistake, you're in the mountains, and in a 172 you are not going to have much reserve performance.

Make sure you friend knows he's really on a mountain flying instruction flight (and make sure he's up for that)"

What I did not mention is that my friend's idea was to have four of us (one day) in the plane. Though all 4 people are adults and weigh less than 150 pounds each and there will be no luggage and the flight should take less than 2 hours and there are plenty of airports to get fuel, this may be pushing the limits of a 172. I was not even going to attempt the day trip until I got mountain knowledge anyway.

Kimberly -- I second the vote to head to the Sierras. But I wouldn't suggest making Sierraville your first stop. It's a relatively (compared to others in the area) short and narrow strip with "severe cracks in pavement". Also, don't sell 5K' short. I was suprised the first time I flew to the area (Nervino at the top end of the valley) how fast the plane seemed to be going over the ground -- which makes sense but not something I had read about regarding mountain flying. The pattern went by much more quickly.

Have fun,

Sam

Sam,

The person that I want to one day go with actually owns a cabin there in the mountains, and Sierraville is the closest airport. We could have someone pick us up and take us back to the cabin, and that is why I wanted to gain experience with Sierraville.

I realize it is not an easy airport but the pilot I am meeting on Friday is - I think - someone with many ratings including CFI and plenty of mountain experience. If so, it might be the best way to get practice there.

Have you seen the severe cracks? I read that too on AirNav.

Kimberly

Also, I posted this on another thread and a pilot warned:

"Kimberly

While Sierraville is "only" at ~5000' there are plenty of 8000+' mountains around there, and you have to cross the ridge somewhere (follow HW 80 up to Truckee is my recommendation) so make no mistake, you're in the mountains, and in a 172 you are not going to have much reserve performance.

Make sure you friend knows he's really on a mountain flying instruction flight (and make sure he's up for that)"

What I did not mention is that my friend's idea was to have four of us (one day) in the plane. Though all 4 people are adults and weigh less than 150 pounds each and there will be no luggage and the flight should take less than 2 hours and there are plenty of airports to get fuel, this may be pushing the limits of a 172. I was not even going to attempt the day trip until I got mountain knowledge anyway.

A 172 with 4 people in it is a hateful experience unless you have an old 180hp one or the HawkXP which IIRC is 195 hp. Well, you know what to do next, get your altitude check out.

Sam,

The person that I want to one day go with actually owns a cabin there in the mountains, and Sierraville is the closest airport. We could have someone pick us up and take us back to the cabin, and that is why I wanted to gain experience with Sierraville.

I realize it is not an easy airport but the pilot I am meeting on Friday is - I think - someone with many ratings including CFI and plenty of mountain experience. If so, it might be the best way to get practice there.

Have you seen the severe cracks? I read that too on AirNav.

Kimberly

You'll be fine. You'll get a taste of what I like best about aviation in CA. You can live on the coast and be in the mountains in an hour.

2. High-altitude checkout prior to flight to airports above 5,000 ft. MSL

Carson (CXP) is at 4690.
Minden/Tahoe(MEV) is at 4722.

Not sure how they compare to finding and landing at Sierraville.

Second flight I took after I got my private pilot certificate was a circuit of Crater Lake, Oregon with my wife in a 172, which was around 10k.

Carson (CXP) is at 4690.

Not sure how they compare to finding and landing at Sierraville.

Second flight I took after I got my private pilot certificate was a circuit of Crater Lake, Oregon with my wife in a 172, which was around 10k.

She has a destination for the day. They can leave in the morning and return in the afternoon. They're set up in Sierraville.

Head to Napa. Enjoy the wineries! Just make sure that the FBO lineboy pushes the throttle in on your departure. For landing just cut the engine with the mixture and glide in. You would not want to violate that 8 hour bottle to throttle rule! ;)

She has a destination for the day. They can leave in the morning and return in the afternoon. They're set up in Sierraville.

Only if it is ok with the pilot. He's calling me on Thursday after he arrives in California.

Head to Napa. Enjoy the wineries! Just make sure that the FBO lineboy pushes the throttle in on your departure. For landing just cut the engine with the mixture and glide in. You would not want to violate that 8 hour bottle to throttle rule! ;)

Sorry, I don't drink and fly.

And I want to go to NEW airports! Went to Napa this month (at night though when it was untowered).

Sorry, I don't drink and fly.

And I want to go to NEW airports! Went to Napa this month (at night though when it was untowered).

Gold Beach, Oregon is on my own list of places to visit next.

"[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif,Arial]The Gold Beach Airport 4S1 is located at the beach at the mouth of the beautiful Rogue River, arguably the most scenic airport to fly into in Oregon."[/FONT] According to:
http://www.funplacestofly.com/funflydetails.asp?id=978

About a 2.5 hour flight from O69. Allegedly you can walk to most places in town from the airport (seems that way on the map.) On the other hand, scenery is probably not unlike what you have in your area.

My next other place to visit is Sunriver Resort, Oregon.

Gold Beach, Oregon is on my own list of places to visit next.

"[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif,Arial]The Gold Beach Airport 4S1 is located at the beach at the mouth of the beautiful Rogue River, arguably the most scenic airport to fly into in Oregon."[/FONT] According to:
http://www.funplacestofly.com/funflydetails.asp?id=978

About a 2.5 hour flight from O69. Allegedly you can walk to most places in town from the airport (seems that way on the map.) On the other hand, scenery is probably not unlike what you have in your area.

My next other place to visit is Sunriver Resort, Oregon.

I can't afford to go that for but it is awesome to know Oregon is only 2.5 hours away!

I'm sure he was kidding

Have fun. Vfrmap.com is my favorite for scouting new airports. You can be looking at the airport on the sectional and switch instantly to google sat to check out whats there!

Find an airport that's not been claimed for Operation Fly & go there. Two birds, one plane.

Find an airport that's not been claimed for Operation Fly & go there. Two birds, one plane.

There are very few left in California. If Gravelly Valley is still open that would be fun.... never landed on gravel before!

Dimensions: 4050 x 200 ft. / 1234 x 61 m
BTWN PARALLEL DIRT ROADS.Surface: gravel, in good conditionWeight bearing capacity: Single wheel: 12.5Runway edge markings: MKD WITH WHITE TIRES.

None of the other three paying or chipping in some?

How many rental hours/flight miles can you afford?

Not sure if this "Fun places to fly" site will help or confuse:
http://www.funplacestofly.com/list.asp?st=CA

Other three? No, like Henning said, that would be misery in a 172.

What I was trying to say was this:

My very first passenger can't wait to fly again. He suggested we fly with his 2 friends (a couple from Sacramento). He said we could fly to Sierraville because that is their vacation home area. All of them would DEFINITELY pay me, he thought maybe $100 would be fair, and I'd pay the rest. So a $300 donation for a day trip to the mountains.

This thread is about me taking advantage of an EXPERIENCED PILOT coming to town on Friday. I thought I could ask him to give me pointers on Sierraville BEFORE I attempt it with passengers. I know nothing about "mountain flying".

In terms of Friday, I think we talked about money but not sure what we agreed to do there. I can always work a second job or make payments later to my flight school. They are really cool like that and I never go more than a few days after my flights without paying them back.

Darn it, Kent claimed that airport in July!

The only remaining CA airports to be claimed are all the way up by Oregon or all the way down by Mexico.

None even CLOSE to Petaluma.

Sorry, Operation Fly.

Carson (CXP) is at 4690.
Those are pretty cool. I was going to suggest Pine Mountain Lake (E45). It's only 3000 ft up, and very pretty. Well within the reach of a 172 from South Bay Area, a friend flew there from PAO.

P.S. Never mind, forgot where Petaluma was.

Last edited:
OMG.

Another pilot on a different forum suggested "Shelter Cove".

It is usually foggy, but if clear, he said it was the prettiest airport he'd ever landed at:

sheltercove_airport2.jpg

Why on earth should it cost $400 to get checked out in another schools Cessna?

It should take no more than 1.0 on the Hobbs.

Why on earth should it cost $400 to get checked out in another schools Cessna?

It should take no more than 1.0 on the Hobbs.

Using my 172 check out as an example (at my school, with my CFI, who I know personally):

1.5 hours flight time at roughly $125 / hour = $187

3 hours total CFI time at btwn $50 - $75 (though he charged me less) = $225

$187 + $225 = $412

My ACTUAL charges were $120 (CFI who knew I was on a budget) and $186.30 for a grand total of $306.30

However, the "high altitude checkout" means I have to pay for a CFI and plane and go to the mountains. Probably a LOT more. If I switch schools I won't have this requirement.

Using my 172 check out as an example (at my school, with my CFI, who I know personally):

1.5 hours flight time at roughly $125 / hour = $187

3 hours total CFI time at btwn $50 - $75 (though he charged me less) = $225

$187 + $225 = $412

My ACTUAL charges were $120 (CFI who knew I was on a budget) and $186.30 for a grand total of $306.30

However, the "high altitude checkout" means I have to pay for a CFI and plane and go to the mountains. Probably a LOT more. If I switch schools I won't have this requirement.

I'm lost.

Why would you pay 3 hours of CFI time for 1.5 hours in the plane? A check-out in a C172 for someone current in a 172 should involve no ground.

I'm lost.

Why would you pay 3 hours of CFI time for 1.5 hours in the plane? A check-out in a C172 for someone current in a 172 should involve no ground.

I'm sorry that you are lost.

He told me when I called him to expect 3 hours CFI and 1.5 plane.

There was ground.

It is over and done now so - ?

I'm lost.

There was a "quiz" to fill out. He let me use the POH but I'm not sure if I was supposed to - or if the goal was for me to already have everything memorized.

The quiz asked about V-Speeds, simple calculations such as takeoff showing you know how to use the charts in the POH, etc. It took a while to fill out. The other ground was explaining the differences between the 172 and the 152 (my primary trainer, though I'd flown the 172 3-5 times already). One example is the EGT - this I don't have in the 152. During the preflight he was with me too.

I'm sorry that you are lost.

He told me when I called him to expect 3 hours CFI and 1.5 plane.

There was ground.

It is over and done now so - ?

Those boys in Cali sure are dragging you folks over the coals.

1.5 of ground on a plane you are current in? Asinine.

A checkout should be no more than some airwork, pattern work and a cup of coffee.

Edit - I thought you were talking about getting checked out in another 172 at another school. I'm just confused all over. LOL

Last edited:
OTOH, it may be wise for a newly minted pilot to spend a bit lavishly until they obtain confidence in the cockpit. The lesson learned may include learning to not spending so lavishly.

Leave the nest, go fly...explore your envelope. JFK Jr was critisized for staying too much under the care and feeding of a CFI.

Those boys in Cali sure are dragging you folks over the coals.

1.5 of ground on a plane you are current in? Asinine.

A checkout should be no more than some airwork, pattern work and a cup of coffee.

Edit - I thought you were talking about getting checked out in another 172 at another school. I'm just confused all over. LOL

I got you. I think kimberly was confused about what you meant. 3 hours and 1.5 in the air is reasonable for a 172 if all you have ever flown is a 152.

He was saying about 1 hour is what you should expect for a checkout in a 172 if you already have recent experience in one (this would be you)

Kim, a checkout in another flight school's 172 probably will not be as expensive as you think.

Yeh, that's what I was getting at.

I was checked out in a local Saratoga recently .3 on the Hobbs.

A checkout in an aircraft someone is proficient in should be no more than an hour or so of flight time.

Yeh, that's what I was getting at.

I was checked out in a local Saratoga recently .3 on the Hobbs.

A checkout in an aircraft someone is proficient in should be no more than an hour or so of flight time.

Well then I was robbed. But I found that no matter what I post on this forum about my flying, people always have different experiences. Hopefully my future ones will be better.

New goal: get checked out in the LSA's with open cockpit at STS with glass panels. Owner said no more than 1 hour for the checkout even though I fly yoke not stick (non glass) and perhaps another hour for glass conversion.

Back