Plane Reserved - Where Should We Fly?

This thread is about me taking advantage of an EXPERIENCED PILOT coming to town on Friday. I thought I could ask him to give me pointers on Sierraville BEFORE I attempt it with passengers. I know nothing about "mountain flying".

Which you should most definitely do. There's really only a few issues. First off, if the wind is blowing off the desert, you need to be very careful, would not suggest it with non pilot passengers. Outside of that, flying wise, what will have the first opportunity to bite you is landing. You need a little more room to flare in because the air doesn't have as much bite. The next thing that gets you is reduced power on takeoff. You mitigate this best you can by proper leaning (full power run up, lean for best RPM) but you will still be on reduced power, your prop will be less effective, your ground speed will be higher for any given IAS, your wings won't provide as much lift... the sum of which of course is runway required. Most non turbo small planes you can get into places you can't get out of. This gets surprisingly bad as you get above 7000' which is why it's where the check out criteria starts. It's mostly about reviewing the performance charts then getting you a bit of experience with the change in handling and setting power.

Last edited:
Well then I was robbed. But I found that no matter what I post on this forum about my flying, people always have different experiences. Hopefully my future ones will be better.

New goal: get checked out in the LSA's with open cockpit at STS with glass panels. Owner said no more than 1 hour for the checkout even though I fly yoke not stick (non glass) and perhaps another hour for glass conversion.

That may be possible, but usually light and sporty airplanes require more time to get used to. They can be VERY different than the 152/172 you are used to.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Well then I was robbed. But I found that no matter what I post on this forum about my flying, people always have different experiences. Hopefully my future ones will be better.

That's because many of us have been there, done that.

My comment wasn't a dig, but more of a bit of help. If you have some CFI trying to sell you quizzes and ground for an aircraft you're current in, you are being robbed.

People here are often just trying to help and not always attacking you. There are those out there, often larger flight schools, who are not really in business to make pilots but to make money.

I know several instructors who just drag students along to get more $$..

I would forget Shelter Cove. It's almost always fogged in and it's also about 1 1/2 hours hobbs away. And there's not much (if anything) to do there.

There's SO many choices around here. Monterey is nice. Oceano is very interesting although maybe a bit far. Columbia is a nice airport in the Sierra foothills and the town is within walking distance. It goes on and on.....

Btw., Ric and I were going to get together on Thursday or Friday as well. :)

Columbia (O22) is a nice place... airport is right there in town, lots of stuff around to do, nice wandering in an old 49's gold mining camp and a great airport. Elevation is only a little over 2K ft but thats a good start.
Half Moon Bay is another neat airport and not too far from you.

Frank

I wouldn't forego Shelter Cove only on the basis that there is nothing there. It's about the journey, especially for a new pilot. Each flight, each airport, and the terrain is different. The goal is to experience new things. We call it "pushing the envelope"...to develop new skills through experience.

BTW: of the 3 times I had been to Shelter Cove, each time was CAVU. Two times it was the moderate windspeed of the prevailing winds that was the primary concern. But the upwind terrain and the rwy direction made that manageable.

Columbia is a fantastic suggestion. Relatively low elevation in the western foothills of the Sierra, it is a great introduction to 'higher' elev airports. And around Christmas, Columbia becomes even more special.

Last edited:
Cool, thanks everybody!

And by "open cockpit LSA" I meant the one I did my intro flight in - the Tecnam Sierra. You can open the cockpit (which we did) mid-flight.

O22 -- Columbia.

I think Henning's suggestion of Tahoe is a huge compliment but it requires altitudes that you probably haven't been to, possible nasty turbulence, and then it's a slam dunk once you're over the lake to land. Then you get to take off with 60% of the power you're used to and have to circle over the lake to get over the ridge, provided you don't hit any down drafts.

Could you do it? Sure. No doubt actually. I just think you might not have such a nice time.

O22, nice time. You'll come in high and fast, just like everybody else. Welcome to the club.

O22 -- Columbia.

You'll come in high and fast, just like everybody else. Welcome to the club.
:rofl::rofl::rofl: You just described my first arrival to Columbia.

I actually found Pine Mtn easier. Even though I had been warned it was hard to find and it was not an easy landing.

JFK Jr was critisized for staying too much under the care and feeding of a CFI.
If I remember correctly he was also criticized for not taking a CFI with him. :dunno:

Sometimes you can't please anyone, especially if you crash.

Cool, thanks everybody!

And by "open cockpit LSA" I meant the one I did my intro flight in - the Tecnam Sierra. You can open the cockpit (which we did) mid-flight.

Why not take the time/money and go get some real open cockpit time?

stearman.jpg

She needs 3-5hrs T/W and basic aerobatic in a Citabria before she gets in a Steerman or she won't be getting her money's worth out of the Steerman time.

First I need to save up a flying budget. Haven't done that yet, I've simply flown and then played "catch up".

Second, I need to finish up the POA flights, though I have a feeling as I get to know more pilots, it will be an ongoing year round thing.

I have one tomorrow and then I have two people coming in October on separate weekends.

I also was invited to fly with a pilot from the Red Board, but weather cancelled us, and he mentioned they fly every week - so that may mean I will get to fly a really cool experimental plane one day. He is based a little ways away but if my airports are "on his way" then I guess that could work.

After all this I will develop my own set "plan".

To think that I had originally thought I'd have no flying to do!

She needs 3-5hrs T/W and basic aerobatic in a Citabria before she gets in a Stearman or she won't be getting her money's worth out of the Stearman time.

Those are some pretty specific requirements.

Does it HAVE to be a Citab?

Last edited:
citabria would make the most sense, as its designed to train tailwheel and aerobatic pilots

citabria would make the most sense, as its designed to train tailwheel and aerobatic pilots

This has always been my next goal. Mostly because I've been told that in 10 - 20 hours I could get my endorsement and that is something I can budget for. Also because I've been told it will make me a better pilot. Also because I do want to see / experience some basic acro which I've also been told will make me a better pilot.

My school and at least one other nearby have citabria's so that is most likely what I would do.

Kimberly

To fly with a another pilot who is "a little bit away" why not fly to them, park your plane, hop in theirs?

I flew 5 different makes in one day by doing that. It can be a fun day comparing the differences while they are fresh in your mind. Keeps you on your toes at least. Make it enjoyable and a learning experience.

This has always been my next goal. Mostly because I've been told that in 10 - 20 hours I could get my endorsement and that is something I can budget for. Also because I've been told it will make me a better pilot. Also because I do want to see / experience some basic acro which I've also been told will make me a better pilot.

My school and at least one other nearby have citabria's so that is most likely what I would do.

Kimberly
You could easily do it in less than ten.

Pull out a map, draw a circle that covers the distance you are willing to fly and see what lays within...

The man spoke with me extensively over the phone. He does more than 40 hours a month in that Citabria - with no flaps - and our intro tailwheel lesson is next Saturday. Can't wait.

Yay flying.

He is very active in the local aviation community too and gives pilots their private in that Citabria, as well as their tailwheel endorsement. He says they give parachutes for no extra charge and we can sneak in spins, and acro, during the (roughly) 10 hours.

Kimberly

It doesn't have to take 10 or 20 hrs to get signed off on a TW, it takes proficiency. If you can demonstrate proficiency in 1hrs you can get signed off. I did 10 landing, a mix of 3 points and wheel landing, all of them with some crosswind, and some basic airwork and was signed off in 1. some in a Citabria. Just keep things smooth and it's not a problem.

It doesn't have to take 10 or 20 hrs to get signed off on a TW, it takes proficiency. If you can demonstrate proficiency in 1hrs you can get signed off. I did 10 landing, a mix of 3 points and wheel landing, all of them with some crosswind, and some basic airwork and was signed off in 1. some in a Citabria. Just keep things smooth and it's not a problem.

OK but for me it may take "up to" 10 hours.

That is just the way it is.

Talked to the pilot about the next few days and our possible flight(s). Since you never know what weather will do, I booked the plane for 3 days at various times.

Sounds like we are just going to "wing it" (pun intended).

I will print out a list of suggestions from the pilots on the blue board and the red board.

We will meet at some point, sit down perhaps over coffee and food somewhere in the local area, suggestions and sectional in hand, discuss / plan / fly!

Should be a lot better experience for me, no more spending hours the night before doing planning.

This will be so fun.

I hope to take pictures etc!

Oh puh-leeze. :rolleyes:

How many hours did you have before the TW? How varied were the conditions when you did the endorsement?

It took me 5 and we did turf, dirt, pavement, wheelies, 3 point, at least an hour air work, direct x-wind (10 knots), quartering, and no wind. We intentionally bounced and recovered (no un-intentional bounces, fortunately), and did slow flight and stalls the old fashioned way --no buzzer, no light, just feel.

It's one thing to get the signature, something else altogether to be competent enough to handle various conditions.

How many hours did you have before the TW? How varied were the conditions when you did the endorsement?

It took me 5 and we did turf, dirt, pavement, wheelies, 3 point, at least an hour air work, direct x-wind (10 knots), quartering, and no wind. We intentionally bounced and recovered (no un-intentional bounces, fortunately), and did slow flight and stalls the old fashioned way --no buzzer, no light, just feel.

It's one thing to get the signature, something else altogether to be competent enough to handle various conditions.

This sounds more like what he wants to do. There is grass, and we will do that. There is pavement, and we will do that. He said we will do a lot of back taxi and taxi, since he feels touch and go's can be wasteful if the difficult parts are after flare (roll out). He said we will do stalls and other flight manuevers in air, and different things. There aren't even flaps (!) so this will be a big fun filled day / intro to tailwheel (one hour flight).

Several times I have been told by high time TW pilots that less than 500 TW you're still a beginner. :D

The same can be argued for any of the various basic ratings.

I had 85 hours before I did my tailwheel.
dmccormack said:

I received my endorsement in 3.2 hours and I was able to rent the airplane solo from there on out. We did slow flight, stalls, 3 point, wheel landings, grass, pavement, and crosswinds.

Took me 20-ish to get my TW. But, I'm a sucky pilot.

I wonder if I am a sucky pilot. I wonder if the number of hours it takes me to get my TW is a good measurement. My instructor always taught me being a great pilot goes WAY beyond hours and numbers and stick and rudder skills. It is judgement, planning, etc.

Back