Plane rental/CFI in St Louis, MO area?

G-force

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
G-force
I will be be in the St. Louis area (Bethaldo/Roxana to be exact) on a family vacation next month, looking for suggestions on a school/fbo to rent a plane with a cfi for a few hours to check Illinois off of "places I have flown" in the old log book, maybe do a city tour. Prefer a steam gauge 172, but not manditory. Looks like my closest airports are St Louis Regional (KALN), St Louis Metro-East/Shafer (3K6), and St Louis Downtown (KCPS.) Suggestions? Thanks. Mike.

I'd check out Kcps. Pretty decent there when I did my complex.

I don't rent so I've never tried to rent an aircraft there but KALN is a really nice field and they have a great restaurant right next to the tower.

Big River Aviation at KALN is closest. I've met the owner as he's a mechanic and EAA guy. Good guy. Haven't been up there though (I'm at KCPS).

Ideal Aviation at KCPS is probably the most expensive option but really nice airplanes.

Shafer flying service at 3K6 is a tiny field in the middle of no where, but Ed Shafer, the owner, is a bit of a local legend, mostly just a nice though tough old guy people respect. If you're into some small town atmosphere that's what you'll get there.

Vacation in Bethalto/Roxana? Are you into oil refineries or air pollution?

Fly past downtown, then head north up the river for the best scenery. For sightseeing, I just stay below the Bravo, but except the occasional SWA rush, approach is pretty light on traffic and accommodating.

Big River Aviation at KALN is closest. I've met the owner as he's a mechanic and EAA guy. Good guy. Haven't been up there though (I'm at KCPS).

Thanks for the lead, so far that the only person I've found renting planes at KALN.

Ideal Aviation at KCPS is probably the most expensive option but really nice airplanes.

Shafer flying service at 3K6 is a tiny field in the middle of no where, but Ed Shafer, the owner, is a bit of a local legend, mostly just a nice though tough old guy people respect. If you're into some small town atmosphere that's what you'll get there.

I'll check those out, thanks.

Vacation in Bethalto/Roxana? Are you into oil refineries or air pollution?

Hahah. Family reunion to see the side of the family not smart enough to move to the west coast :)

Fly past downtown, then head north up the river for the best scenery. For sightseeing, I just stay below the Bravo, but except the occasional SWA rush, approach is pretty light on traffic and accommodating.

That is pretty much my plan, 2500 msl with flight following looks like it will get me to see plenty below the Bravo. Anyone familiar with the flight school at KSET? Looks like they got a pretty big fleet.

I forgot about KSET. By next month it should be dry there! It is in the flood plain.

I go there some for cheap gas from CAF. They also have a B-25 there. I don't know much about the flight school there other than that they've been around forever, so they can't really be bad!

To close this thread out, thanks for suggesting Big River Aviation. I ended up flying last Friday with Paul in his 1964 172. Flew over to KSET, then down the river to KCPS and then back to KALN. Other then a student doing touch and goes at KSET, I didn't see or hear another GA plane flying during that 1.4 hrs, it must be great to have such fantastic airports, neary deserted! I guess I'm just used to the hustle and bustle of Los Angeles airspace where you have to wait for a lull in chatter to get a word in edgewise when talking to towers or approach, and always 2-5 planes in the pattern.

Mike

It's definitely not LA! Weekends can get "busy", but we don't wait in line much.

Last edited:
Back