Plane into building

Some speculation ..... strange to have brakes and full power applied from the start .... heaviest skid marks at the end would indicate a late abort attempt .... but airspeed must still have been close to takeoff speed because it kept flying at low level for another 1200 feet .

Almost looks like the initial applied brakes were a mechanical malfunction that engine thrust overcame .... once leaving the ground they were at 15-20 feet ..... with brake action now removed airspeed would increase slightly and they ... "might have made it" .... except they clipped the top of a hydro pole just past the end of the runway ..... they only would have needed another few feet of elevation to clear the buildings and continue to gain airspeed ..

I also wonder if it was a panic situation where one pilot hit the brakes at the end but the other pilot went full power knowing they could not stop in time .... this whole thing has some strange elements to it.

Both parents recent medical school graduates. The only thing the kid could inherit is a pile of educational debt. Of course, there could be generational wealth, but I know that when I was a fellow, all my kids would have inherited was a 10 year old Volvo.
The only thing you have to put down on paper is the desired custody setup for the kid.

Some might consider that a whole lot more valuable than a pile of cash.

Exactly. But even if you think you have no assets, hopefully you have life insurance. If you have an IRA or 401(k) no matter how small, you can designate a direct beneficiary (transfer on death). This takes it out of the estate the minute you die and shields it from debt collectors. There will also be social security survivor’s benefits. Someone will be designated to manage all that while your children are minors. Normally it would be whomever has physical custody but not always. You want to choose these people no matter how worthless you think you are.

What a shame. Not familiar with the XL's avionics but the baby Citations I fly (C510 Mustang and C525 M2) would throw a CAS message at you if you have the parking brake set for takeoff.

Is it possible to release the parking brake on that plane, and not have it *fully* released, only partially set? Seems like they'd have a hell of a time taxiing the plane if it were fully engaged, but I can tell you from experience with cars, partial inadvertent application of the brakes while driving will quickly heat them and expand them to the point of total seizure. If partial inadvertent application of the parking brake were the case in this incident, it would explain why they were able to maneuver the plane on the ground and attempt a takeoff only to have the brakes locked by the end of the takeoff run.

Is it possible to release the parking brake on that plane, and not have it *fully* released, only partially set? Seems like they'd have a hell of a time taxiing the plane if it were fully engaged, but I can tell you from experience with cars, partial inadvertent application of the brakes while driving will quickly heat them and expand them to the point of total seizure. If partial inadvertent application of the parking brake were the case in this incident, it would explain why they were able to maneuver the plane on the ground and attempt a takeoff only to have the brakes locked by the end of the takeoff run.
I don't know, but I read somewhere else that on that model plane when you set the parking brake, it sets with whatever pressure you're holding. If you have light pressure on the brakes and set them, that's what you'll have. Fully depress the brakes and set, you'll have full brake pressure. I can see a scenario where they got put into "line up and wait" and decided to set the brakes (with minimal pressure) while they were waiting in position and then forget to release them when cleared for takeoff. Our company policy is that we are not allowed to use the parking brakes while on the runway.

What a shame. Not familiar with the XL's avionics but the baby Citations I fly (C510 Mustang and C525 M2) would throw a CAS message at you if you have the parking brake set for takeoff.
CAS ??

Crew Alerting System - all the caution and warning lights and messages that bigger/moderner airplanes display to the pilot(s) to alert them of potential hazardous issues.

It appears that a "No takeoff" CAS annunciation for attempted takeoff with parking brake on the 560 is "on certain European registered aircraft" and not all of them (according to Juan Browne). This must be an age thing because the newer Citations that I fly definitely all throw a CAS.

Back