Plane Hits Drone

Who cares????

Maybe I'm missing something?
They should make drugs illegal and killing people illegal. How is anybody going to stop people from flying remote control copters illegally. There's nothing that can be done. So why get worked up over it.

They should make drugs illegal and killing people illegal. How is anybody going to stop people from flying remote control copters illegally. There's nothing that can be done. So why get worked up over it.
It is true that we will be not be able to minimize the problem, but we can minimize it.

MOST people try to obey the rules.

Perhaps we should should eliminate all efforts to control drunk driving because some people will just do it anyway?

The inside quotes change to single quotation marks, like this:

"A British Airways spokesman said, 'Our aircraft landed safely, was fully examined by our engineers and it was cleared to operate its next flight.' "

Ah, yes. Now I remember. Thanks.

There are minimally-invasive things that could be done, such as requiring evidence of completion of an online training course offered by an approved hobby association (AMA, for example) in order to fly a drone higher than one's own head. A requirement that they have altimeters in the drones and altitude displays on the controllers wouldn't be a bad idea, either.

I suspect that most people who fly drones recklessly are just ignorant, not malicious. I doubt too many of them deliberately want to cause collisions, even if only because they don't want to break their expensive toys. I also suspect that it's extremely difficult for most novice drone operators to accurately judge altitude. A bit of training and an altimeter might do a lot of good.

Rich

I take it, it's not exactly like the foam most would think of.

It's pretty much what you think of when you think about foam. The wildcard is that the shuttle was going 2.5 times the speed of sound when the foam broke loose.

Any idea how fast the foam was going?

Pretty freakin' fast, until it came from together with the shuttle. When it momentarily came from apart and its togetherness was ever-so-briefly re-established is when the problem occurred, and ultimately the entire shuttle came from together during re-entry.

It is true that we will be not be able to minimize the problem, but we can minimize it.

MOST people try to obey the rules.

Perhaps we should should eliminate all efforts to control drunk driving because some people will just do it anyway?
I agree that it's not a good thing. But there is no reason in getting all wound up about how we're going to prevent a quad copter strike.

We're not going to prevent it and we should accept it. Minimizing it is a good thought but nothing we say in this thread will do anything to minimize it. So therefore that's why I say "who cares"

I agree that it's not a good thing. But there is no reason in getting all wound up about how we're going to prevent a quad copter strike.

We're not going to prevent it and we should accept it. Minimizing it is a good thought but nothing we say in this thread will do anything to minimize it. So therefore that's why I say "who cares"
Huh??? It's a problem on the horizon that has the potential to kill people... But we should just ignore it because we we can only minimize the risks and not eliminate them??

Seriously shaking my head on that one.

I think the only way to fix this is with the establishment of a Drone Police. It should be a Federal Program run by the TSA. This will necessitate the passage of new and numerous drone legislation so the Drone Police have laws to enforce. Of course a Drone CZAR would need to be appointed as well. :D

Huh??? It's a problem on the horizon that has the potential to kill people... But we should just ignore it because we we can only minimize the risks and not eliminate them??

Seriously shaking my head on that one.
For the purpose of this thread we should ignore it. Its out of the scope of what a GA pilot message board can fix. Thats all I'm saying.

For the purpose of this thread we should ignore it. Its out of the scope of what a GA pilot message board can fix. Thats all I'm saying.
If we can only discuss what we can fix, this place will become a ghost town!

Did your mother have any children that lived?
Guys ,let's panic about "drones" hitting planes. Let ban all "drones" that will work. Lets ban crime too. We shouldnt have any of that. Lets ban birds because, well you know they are in our airspace. Lets ban weather because that isn't good for GA. Lets ban airplanes since airplanes sometimes hit other airplanes. Lets just stop flying all together. I'm not going to get worked up over "drones" no matter what you guys say.

It's extremely hard to gauge the altitude of any of these drones when you are standing on the ground looking up.

No, it's pretty easy actually...if the drone is immediately overhead anyway. 12 ga, full choke, #4 shot, if the drone falls it was less than 150'. If it keeps flying, it was over 150'.

Give or take 25'. :)

Guys ,let's panic about "drones" hitting planes. Let ban all "drones" that will work. Lets ban crime too. We shouldnt have any of that. Lets ban birds because, well you know they are in our airspace. Lets ban weather because that isn't good for GA. Lets ban airplanes since airplanes sometimes hit other airplanes. Lets just stop flying all together. I'm not going to get worked up over "drones" no matter what you guys say.

You sure seem pretty worked up about it already.

Not even a little bit.

You should read post #54. *THAT* guy is clearly wound up over "drones" (he likes to put 'em in quotes.) What he is missing is a fundamental lack of understanding of others' preference to be safe while flying airplanes. You see, son, no one believes for a minute that a law prohibiting rc aerial vehicles from flying near general aviation or commercial aircraft will prevent that situation from ever happening. A law that prescribes penalties for those individuals who cause harm or loss to human beings or personal property might make a lot if people think about the legal consequences and therefore eliminate an unnecessary aerial hazard. As for birds and weather, well, if you were a pilot you would be well aware of the FAA's very clearly outlined rules regarding flight in different weather scenarios, and the legalities of conducting flight therin. I have been denied landings by ATC due to birds on and over the runway, and inside controlled airspace I must comply with instructions given by ATC unless/until an emergency arises which necessitates deviation from those instructions guess this means that nature has indeed been legislated regarding our ability to operate aircraft now and then. Some pilots here would like to operate their aircraft in a manner that is within accepted procedures and safe from needless external dangers. You're obviously too cool for school and not concerned with safety. Those that are see a new threat on the horizon and take measures to avoid or minimize it. Be careful out there.

Last edited:
You should.......

Still not wound up. I only put "drones" in quote because I don't call them that. Thats all that is. I'm pretty sure there are rules prohibiting RC vehicles interfering with aircraft. That's good enough for me. Thats all that can be done really. Maybe up the punishment I suppose. Life behind bars or something /sacarsm. But what else is there that can be done?

Why get in a panic everytime this topic comes up? Thats all I'm saying. I still feel safer in the skies than anywhere else I'm using a form of transportation.

Still not wound up. I only put "drones" in quote because I don't call them that. Thats all that is. I'm pretty sure there are rules prohibiting RC vehicles interfering with aircraft. That's good enough for me. Thats all that can be done really. Maybe up the punishment I suppose. Life behind bars or something /sacarsm. But what else is there that can be done?

Why get in a panic everytime this topic comes up? Thats all I'm saying. I still feel safer in the skies than anywhere else I'm using a form of transportation.
Just curious.... Is it possible that a bad guy fly a drone into an airliner on final?? I realize there are many "what ifs", but this one seems plausible.

Just curious.... Is it possible that a bad guy fly a drone into an airliner on final?? I realize there are many "what ifs", but this one seems plausible.
I think this is the real concern. Now again, if a bad guy wants to do this there is nothing stopping him. Regulations don't prevent this kind of thing. But I'd be more concerned about a guy intentionally doing it vs a accidental occurrence

Back