Plane down on the beach

Looks like the pilot did a good job,and didn't flip it,no injuries. Not much damage to the plane not a bad day overall.

Would it have been better to have done a splash landing in say 5 feet of water.

i doubt it, fixed gear airplanes have a habit of flipping over when they go in the water, and the occupants drown. if the beach was not crowded that was probably the best option.

bob

Great landing. I wish my 182 landed like that ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registration has been pending since last November. Better hope that paperwork is in order!

i doubt it, fixed gear airplanes have a habit of flipping over when they go in the water, and the occupants drown. if the beach was not crowded that was probably the best option.

bob

Not exactly. Yes, fixed gear airplanes so have a tendency to flip, however a search of the NTSB database for ditching accidents will show that most are survivable (seatbelt/shoulder harness are important factors).

If I have a choice between being unconscious on land or upside down in water ....

If I have a choice between being unconscious on land or upside down in water ....
Yes, but it goes back to the discussions in recent years about what is better: save yourself while taking an innocent bystander out on the beach, or avoid the bystanders and make the safest landing possible in the water?

If there is no one on the beach, you bet, that's where I'm going, but if there are people there, I'll take my chances with the upside down egress.

If there is people on the beach and you splash just outside where water breaks, I have to believe people will come out to help you if you do end unconscious.

Sweet-lookin' little straight-tail Cessna - hope they fix her up.

Does the propeller blade end look normal in this photo? I see some sand on it, but I don't notice any curling. Just wondering if it was turning when they landed.

082315-met-plane-crash-01.jpg

Another interesting thing is that I can't see any tire tracks in the sand.

082315_met_plane_crash_03.jpg

Does the propeller blade end look normal in this photo? I see some sand on it, but I don't notice any curling. Just wondering if it was turning when they landed.

082315-met-plane-crash-01.jpg

Another interesting thing is that I can't see any tire tracks in the sand.

082315_met_plane_crash_03.jpg

How soon where these photos taken, high tide would erase any tire tracks, prop looks fine, I'm assuming the nose gear collapsed. If that plane is getting wet, corrosion will be an issue in the future.

Good point. The story said the plane landed in the evening. The photos are in broad daylight, so probably the next day.

The kelp shows where the high tide line is. The aircraft has been in contact with salt water.

The prop would have been spinning unless the engine seized, regardless of whether it was running or not.

Not bad.

One of the reasons I feel safer in bush planes, landing at that beach with a taildragger on tundras would have been a non event.

Glad everyone is ok, and the plane doesn't look that bad from the pics.

I fly an Archer owned by Skywalker Aviation at LNA. It was their Cessna. The guy had flown out to Pahokee and over to Jupiter and was headed home. Plenty of fuel for that trip unless it wasn't checked. I'll update when I hear something.

Just got back from the FBO. The guy ran out of gas. They even told him before he left and he didn't get fuel nor did he fuel up in Pahokee. They totaled the Cessna so they're getting another one. I'm being told he won't have access to it.

Not bad.

One of the reasons I feel safer in bush planes, landing at that beach with a taildragger on tundras would have been a non event.

Glad everyone is ok, and the plane doesn't look that bad from the pics.

I have been landing on beaches all summer with a tricycle C-206 and every landing was a non-event. Of course 29/11 tires, stol kit, approach speed 55MPH, and I was trained for it.

Just got back from the FBO. The guy ran out of gas. They even told him before he left and he didn't get fuel nor did he fuel up in Pahokee. They totaled the Cessna so they're getting another one. I'm being told he won't have access to it.

Thanks for the update. Fuel problems are by FAR the main reason for 'engine failures'.

Back