Plane down in San Pedro

Small debris shown from the news chopper,,,

Not a good sign..:sad::sad:

That's the spot. News chopper circling the area.

attachment.php

This is the same general area that a Cessna Twin had a mid air with a single engine plane, I believe around 2009.

Beans....

But since people died in this crash I will delete all my tasteless posts.

Yeah you were getting carried away. :wink2:

But respectfully, I will too.

May they rest in peace,another sad day.

RIP. So sad.

I hate that practice area. It is SOOOO congested. I would always go to El Toro instead when flying out of SNA. Every time I used the coastal area, there were at least 7-8 planes there, if not more. All practicing all kinds of manuevers.

You have training flights from SNA, TOA, LGB, FUL, HHR, and even some others that frequent it. And then also transients up/down the coast.

I hear now it was a Citabria and a Bonanza.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This, along with the one a few years ago are really making me reconsider using the coastal route.

This, along with the one a few years ago are really making me reconsider using the coastal route.

When I transition this area flight following usually has me climb above planes in the practice area.

is there any way to find out if the planes were on flight following or either were ADSB equipped. I fly in the congested Los Angeles area and this type of thing is the primary reason I upgraded to a KT74 well before the 2020 mandate. I can see most traffic on iPad mini with Stratus 2 and KT74 broadcasting out. Audible traffic callout warnings in my Bose from the iPad mini are great. It can't 100% prevent this but I think it goes a long way.

The following was a comment posted about this accident. I'm really hoping this was just some kid or a troll trying to get a reaction and not a mature adult's actual opinion.

Air Traffic Controllers can barely keep track of Commercial flights. They need to ban all of these small aircraft from our skies. Rich socialites wanting to fly their jet setting families around or hollywood elites who are too stuck up to fly on a commercial plane need to get a life. Thank God this happened over the ocean and not over some poor family's house killing all of their kids. Ban these dumb planes from the skies. PROBLEM FREAKING SOLVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Source: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/2-planes-collide-in-midair-near-port-of-los-angeles/

I guess we're all just a bunch of rich socialites that are too stuck up to fly commercial and need to get a life.

Sad all the way around. Rest in peace to the souls on board those two aircraft.

Not saying this applies here, but....

When I was teaching the other instructor and I would, on a daily basis, coordinate where in the practice area we would be. We divided it up by two prominent lakes in the area. Informal, and non exact due to other airplanes, but it was one more layer of protection. It worked. Regardless of the number of planes in the SoCal practice area, the practice area can be divided up.

The following was a comment posted about this accident. I'm really hoping this was just some kid or a troll trying to get a reaction and not a mature adult's actual opinion.

Source: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/2-planes-collide-in-midair-near-port-of-los-angeles/

I guess we're all just a bunch of rich socialites that are too stuck up to fly commercial and need to get a life.

I better call my bank in the morning, there must be some mistake if I'm supposed to be rich...
The ignorance of some people really amazes me. I got a lot of "must be nice" BS when I got my 182. Most shut up when I pointed out some of their cars were worth more than my plane...

I better call my bank in the morning, there must be some mistake if I'm supposed to be rich...
The ignorance of some people really amazes me. I got a lot of "must be nice" BS when I got my 182. Most shut up when I pointed out some of their cars were worth more than my plane...

Lol!! Trust me, I flew several different private jets over the past 20 years. Nobody is going to mistake a 182 as a socialite airplane.
To your point, If it is reported as such, it's media incompetence.

Lol!! Trust me, I flew several different private jets over the past 20 years. Nobody is going to mistake a 182 as a socialite airplane.
To your point, If it is reported as such, it's media incompetence.

My response was to the quoted comment above that came from a news site. I was remarking about the ignorance of the public regarding aviation. Even a small kit plane is a "rich persons toy" to many of them.

Trust me, I love my 182 but I have no illusions of its stature in the aviation pecking order. Plus I go to Reno every other year if I need a reminder of what constitutes a real rich person's toy...

While practicing approaches into Chino and Brackett yesterday something felt just not right about the airspace. Seemed more congested than normal and we had more "kinda close calls".

In fact at one point SoCal departure sort of gave up on us and told us they could not accommodate our request for a practice VOR approach back to my home airport Cable.

What a shame about the mid air. Condolences to the families. There, but for the grace of God go I.

... And regarding that comment of grounding all little airplanes from SoCal. It was obviously by someone who does not truly understand GA but... (And I really hate to say this) There is some truth to his comment about ATC being barely able to keep things under control.

Not saying this applies here, but....

When I was teaching the other instructor and I would, on a daily basis, coordinate where in the practice area we would be. We divided it up by two prominent lakes in the area. Informal, and non exact due to other airplanes, but it was one more layer of protection. It worked. Regardless of the number of planes in the SoCal practice area, the practice area can be divided up.

That is smart. This would work if all the flights there were from the same school... Where this happened, you have multiple schools from a half dozen airports using the space. It's realistically impossible to coordinate this. Additionally, it's tough to spatially divide up a practice area that is over the open ocean.

There are a lot of folks with that opinion. They would rather take something away from others than strive to achieve for themselves.

Where exactly is that practice area? Is it all over water? Is it named? Is there a link you have to a site that describes it?

Not sure if there actually is a site that describes it, but many practice areas are known to the airports and flight schools around it. For instance, we have an "East Practice area" 5 miles east of KOLV, and a "West Practice Area" surrounding KAWM, but only the people in the vicinity of Memphis are familiar with it.

Not sure if there actually is a site that describes it, but many practice areas are known to the airports and flight schools around it. For instance, we have an "East Practice area" 5 miles east of KOLV, and a "West Practice Area" surrounding KAWM, but only the people in the vicinity of Memphis are familiar with it.

It's on the TAC, including the coordination frequencies.

It's on the TAC, including the coordination frequencies.

Yep, I see that that now. I've seen it on some sectionals and TACs, but didn't bother to look at this one. This airspace is much more congested than what I'm used to.

This morning they're reporting that it was not a midair. Only one plane involved.

Yet the other plane (woman pilot) is still missing.

WTF?

This morning they're reporting that it was not a midair. Only one plane involved.

Yet the other plane (woman pilot) is still missing.

WTF?
Link?

That doesn't make any sense since the previous article says they recovered debris with the full tail number of one airplane and a partial number of another.

Link?

That doesn't make any sense since the previous article says they recovered debris with the full tail number of one airplane and a partial number of another.

Maybe the partial number is from a plane that crashed in the same area some time in the past? :dunno:

The local news just interviewed the female pilots husband. He said she was in the decathlon and was pretty sure it was a mid air.

Well hell, does the partial N number coincidentally match last years airplane???

Where exactly is that practice area? Is it all over water? Is it named? Is there a link you have to a site that describes it?

The practice areas are on the TAC, at least to some degree, but not with much specificity, and sometimes, not at all.

Here's a PDF from the the Long Beach Flying Club that shows the practice areas in the LA basis, with the author's perception of their borders:

http://lbflying.com/files/PracticeAreasRev64.pdf

Edit: The actual author appears to be a group called the "Southern California Airspace Users Working Group":

http://www.scauwg.org/scauwg/PracticeAreas.html

Last edited:
So Cal is packed, that is a given. We have a acro box between Santa Paula and Fillmore just north of the Fillmore VOR. This is the only place in the area that is a protected acro box. For some reason many CFI's from Camarillo, Van Nuys and other local flight schools like to fly right through it without being on frequency. This is stuff that acro pilots around here see daily. This just makes me wonder if both planes were on the recommended frequency. It's not mandated to be on frequency but I can't think of a reason not to be.

If you start at SBA and draw a large circle out to PSP and back to SAN you will find one third of all GA aircraft in the USA there. And likewise right along the coast west of the SLI VOR is supposedly the busiest spot. Thinking ADS-B equipment is looking better all the time, trying to do it all visually and on the radio can be a real task on a busy day. I'm willing to bet that most of us in SoCal have flown through one or all of those practice areas not on the freq for that spot but flight following.

Back