Plane Down - Clearwater, FL

Looks like he had a fuel range of about 4:22

4:22 is about right when you consider the 180 will burn a little more fuel than the 160HP in the accident I referenced above. I know this engine should burn around 8.5 GPH all properly leaned out, but most pilots are pretty bad about leaning properly. You can burn 11GPH easy in those at a 75% power setting.

Last edited:
Use 'em if you got 'em, but keep in mind as you move up into airplanes other than basic Cessnas and Pipers, you can't always stick the tanks.

Because of the tank design, sticking doesn't work in my Baron, for example, unless the tank is nearly full.

YEP - the Saratoga is the same way. 51 usable gal on each side. The Dip Stick will only measure the first 15 gal in each tank.

Guy took off from Campbell airport. It's north of PWK where I fly out of.

Guess who has the same insurance agent?

I don't recognize the pilot or the plane but he hasn't been flying that long.

His daughter died, too.

The other girl is in better shape.

Guess who has the same insurance agent?

I don't recognize the pilot or the plane but he hasn't been flying that long.

His daughter died, too.

The other girl is in better shape.

You probably never saw him because he liked to fly at night after you went home and while the rest of us were asleep. Maybe he was on a night schedule due to the commercial glass installation business. 1500+ hrs since Oct 2007. I have slightly less than 300 in that same time. Of course 2200 hrs and lots of fuel money was spent building mine.

YEP - the Saratoga is the same way. 51 usable gal on each side. The Dip Stick will only measure the first 15 gal in each tank.

There is a pretty accurate calibrated dipstick available from Aircraft Spruce for all the 25 gallon fixed gear PA28 tanks from the earliest Cherokee to the latest Archer. I had one with my old Cherokee 140 and it was accurate within 1 gallon of its markings from top to bottom. I used mine religiously.

There is a pretty accurate calibrated dipstick available from Aircraft Spruce for all the 25 gallon fixed gear PA28 tanks from the earliest Cherokee to the latest Archer. I had one with my old Cherokee 140 and it was accurate within 1 gallon of its markings from top to bottom. I used mine religiously.

Yep - That is the dip stick I bought too.

Sorry I need to clarify on the Saratoga after 15 gal. of fuel have been removed from each tank the dip stick has nothing to measure. Straight down from the cap is dry. The cap is on the outer part of the wing and the rest of the fuel is in the wing and cannot be reached by the stick.

Last edited:
What's a 3rd class medical have to do with it, or are you being sarcastic?

A friend of mine knew this guy. Had nothing good to say about him. Neither do I. Doing coke and then taking your daughter flying, and running out of fuel. What a POS.

What's a 3rd class medical have to do with it, or are you being sarcastic?

A friend of mine knew this guy. Had nothing good to say about him. Neither do I. Doing coke and then taking your daughter flying, and running out of fuel. What a POS.

:yes::yes:

This guy was probably a POS long before the accident. It doesn't even say how much cocaine was detected, was he flying higher than the Piper or was it a trace from a few days ago?

Sober pilots run out of fuel...

I'll bet he's been lying on his medical certificate applications for years.

Well jeez, this is not what I expected the result would be when I posted.

I have no dog in the fight wrt recreational drug use, but it doesn't appear to me the cocaine had anything to do with running out of gas. Sober pilots run out of gas as has been pointed out.

Goes to show, humans are incredible book covers. On the veneer of social media everybody is the Cleavers, but man what dark secrets lie behind the curtain of our homes.

Back