Plane down - Baton Rouge, LA I-10

Glad he's safe. Skimmed across the top of an 18-wheeler? There's something you don't see every day.

Traffic.. Traffic..

Nice job keeping it together. I couldn't imagine hitting something as large as a truck and still putting it down after.

I'm glad he is OK, but seriously guys, if you ever are involved in anything that the FAA will be required to investigate, don't give an interview to the news.

I'm glad he is OK, but seriously guys, if you ever are involved in anything that the FAA will be required to investigate, don't give an interview to the news.
Depends on the situation.

The biggest thing is just being careful with your words. You’ll have to provide a statement of what happened to the FAA (and the insurance company) regardless. When I had my deer strike, I was asked to do both, so I don’t necessarily see anything wrong with an interview to the news, so long as you don’t offer any revealing or compromising information.

Although given the opportunity, I’d likely decline.

The biggest thing is just being careful with your words.

I witnessed a 172 crash once. The news folks found out I was an instructor at the airport and wanted to know what happened. I knew darn well what happened, but all I did was describe what I saw and what I did to help the pilot.

I witnessed a 172 crash once. The news folks found out I was an instructor at the airport and wanted to know what happened. I knew darn well what happened, but all I did was describe what I saw and what I did to help the pilot.
You did the right thing!

Didn't we decide in past threads to say nothing to the news, or even to the FAA right away?
Neither is required and carry the potential mainly, for downside only?
In fact when you crawl out of the wreckage you do not even have to make a statement to local law enforcement right away; just say "I was just in an airplane crash. I'm in shock and can't think how to answer your questions."
Proceed to nearest ER and go in if needed or refuse treatment and leave from there.
Then, get on the phone to your aviation attorney.
That's about my plan.

Didn't we decide in past threads to say nothing to the news, or even to the FAA right away?
Neither is required and carry the potential mainly, for downside only?
In fact when you crawl out of the wreckage you do not even have to make a statement to local law enforcement right away; just say "I was just in an airplane crash. I'm in shock and can't think how to answer your questions."
Proceed to nearest ER and go in if needed or refuse treatment and leave from there.
Then, get on the phone to your aviation attorney.
That's about my plan.
Yeah, it was the guy whose buddy crashed on a neighborhood street and kept him there for hours wasn't it? Regardless, my self-promise is to STFU and say nothing to the Advertising Salesperson/journalist on scene.

"It was a failed retroconfabulator" has worked well in the past.

And no matter what you were flying, tell the media it's a Cessna stunt plane. They're going to write it up that way in any case.

Why is this in Cleared for the Approach?

"It was a failed retroconfabulator" has worked well in the past.
Sounds like it was also complicated by a disconnocted sliderator jimming the valast bilb. No chance of recovery from that one.

Depends on the situation.

The biggest thing is just being careful with your words.
There are very few situations, aviation related or otherwise, in which there exists any kind of upside in talking to the news. There is no upside in talking to the news after an off airport landing.

New pilot with low hrs here....just curious...why do you all recommend not to talk to the FAA right away after a crash?
If something goes wrong and you are forced to land why are you in any way in trouble?
Thanks for the help..

New pilot with low hrs here....just curious...why do you all recommend not to talk to the FAA right away after a crash?
If something goes wrong and you are forced to land why are you in any way in trouble?
Thanks for the help..
Because no matter what you believe, the FAA will find something that you did wrong. Don't believe me? Read a few hundred NTSB accident summaries.

Thanks for the help..

I would 'think' that philosophy holds true even outside of aviation. if u get into some kind of trouble, get representation before u say something you shouldn't say to the wrong person.

Thanks for the reply.
So even though might not be your fault does the FAA will still penalize you?
What kind of penalty are we talking about, of course depending on the severity of the infraction....partial or permanent suspension? Fines? Jail?

I work in the construction industry and the FAA reminds me of OSHA....they will always find a way to fine you.

I really don't like the media when they are pushy.

The morning after this pillar of society did what he did best (fail)

Richard_reid_1.jpg

my family and I showed up at SFO to fly home with no clue about the hastily instituted ban on liquids and gels. So, prior to security, we plopped down on the floor and opened up our carry-ons to get rid of the stuff they did not want. Distraught parents with cute kids hovering were a magnet for the "Good Morning, SanFran!" pretty face with a microphone and associated camera guy.

No amount of "no comment" from my wife or I was good enough, dude kept trying for a shot. I finally looked straight in the camera and clearly enunciated "F U" to which he replied "Classy, dude." But, the red light went off, and they left us alone after that.

I am fairly proud of that moment, thank you.

Alright I have a plan.... if this ever happens to me I will start talking in 3 other non English languages one of which is my native language ...that’s would be my way of telling them I am in shock, leave me F alone

Thanks for the help..

Thanks for the reply.
So even though might not be your fault does the FAA will still penalize you?
What kind of penalty are we talking about, of course depending on the severity of the infraction....partial or permanent suspension? Fines? Jail?

I work in the construction industry and the FAA reminds me of OSHA....they will always find a way to fine you.

So, in three posts you went from being a low time pilot asking about how the FAA works to sounding like someone with experience with the FAA who has made a firm conclusion to how the FAA functions and comparing them to OSHA.

Have been fined a lot by both agencies? If so, maybe you need to find a way to get into compliance by following the regulations rather than complaining about the results of your noncompliance.

So, in three posts you went from being a low time pilot asking about how the FAA works to sounding like someone with experience with the FAA who has made a firm conclusion to how the FAA functions and comparing them to OSHA.

Have been fined a lot by both agencies? If so, maybe you need to find a way to get into compliance by following the regulations rather than complaining about the results of your noncompliance.

Not really, you are incorrect on both assumptions.
I was just stating that as a new pilot and reading some of the comments I was under the impression that if you are in any sort of accidents why would it be bad to make an initial statement rather than wait till speaking to an aviation attorney?
Seemed to me that if the plane it is malfunctioning of no fault of your own how is that in any way something that the FAA should frown about?
In addition working for the last 30 years in the construction industry the OSHA analogy it’s pertinent and your comment to me show that you do not have very much experience with construction site management and supervision.
Further more since you are so experienced in aviation and I am not with just over 60 total hrs, I would have loved more insight why the FAA is to be feared rather than be so vocal about things you really don’t know about me.
Either way have a great day, perhaps tomorrow will bring you a smile.

Back