Plane down at Compton Woodley Airport - 7:00 PM March 13 2019

Mooneys don't really have a headroom issue. I'm 6'0" and don't have issues.. what drives me nuts with Mooney is you have to sit staggered with your copilot because it. is. so. freaking. narrow. Fast though, and miserly.. no free lunch!

..also, speaking of the accident. Mistakes happen. Lighting can definitely be an issue, and aircraft can be notoriously hard to spot. See and avoid, yes, but communication is also key. Someone dropped the communication ball here.. and the see and avoid ball. That is for sure. Not sure we should indict the T28 guy.. just yet. Perhaps the Cessna never communicated, was on the wrong frequency, or simple figured "dude's landing behind me, no one in front, I'm fine" .. in the meantime, T28 guy obviously did not intend for the crash to happen

Very easy upfront to lay blame on the T28 guy.. but let's hang tight on this one. Not the first time planes have been bent and lives lost at an uncontrolled airport

In general though uncontrolled airports really scare me. Big Bear (L35) here can get very busy, and you'll have people using either runway, not communicating, etc. I was in the runup over the summer and a dude in a beat to death high wing cruised right by, no radio comms, run up, slow down, or anything... just on the runway and off he went

Mooneys don't really have a headroom issue. I'm 6'0" and don't have issues.. what drives me nuts with Mooney is you have to sit staggered with your copilot because it. is. so. freaking. narrow. Fast though, and miserly.. no free lunch!

6'2", long torso (32" pants inseam), no issues with headroom in the Mooney.

Well, Richard , whatever happened he landed on top of another plane with the plane being right in front of him - another glorious example of see and avoid ... no need for stinking communications as long as you have you head out there ...blah blah ..
Actually, it appears that he caught up with the Cessna whilst rolling out.

Back